Pegs & Washing Baskets?

Hello,
Q: Do you find there is no washing basket to make use of at Sits and never enough Pegs or broken pegs?
I carry a bag of our own Pegs now, if I know there is outside drying space, sometimes I also carry our own foldable washing basket too (We drive to most sits so can do this) otherwise we use a very large recycled shopping bag.
We live in a Tiny Home when not sitting, we have One Draw each and share between for of us a double wardrobe space, we wash nearly every day as we don’t have that many clothes.
Just thought I would ask.
Happy sitting

2 Likes

@Manda everyone will have had a unique experience- our last 6 sits in U.K. all had laundry baskets and plenty of pegs .

There was one sit where I never looked for either as it rained everyday of the sit so there was no opportunity to hang out laundry outside .

Good idea to carry your own though -pegs can be used for more than just hanging out washing . Closing half full bags of food for example .

4 Likes

It’s not just pegs @Manda . Take a look at this thread from a while ago…

1 Like

Pegs are also useful to clip together curtains that don’t fit so let too much light in!

5 Likes

In the U.S., many homes have a washer and a dryer and they’re right next to each other or are stacked, so you can do without a laundry basket or clothespins (what we call pegs).

The U.K. sit I previously did, they had a combo washer-dryer. No need for a basket or pegs.

My current London sit has a washer and a rack for drying laundry. Don’t need pegs.

My husband and I’ve taken cruises with washers and dryers. Then, I use a duffel bag as a laundry basket of sorts. That same duffel, I sometimes check in full of dirty laundry on flights home, if I end up filling my suitcase with purchases.

When I travel, I usually bring a binder clip for receipts. In a pinch, I can use that for curtains or bags of potato chips (what you call crisps).

3 Likes

And for sealing food bags !

1 Like

Why not gift the HO some pegs. They are very cheap in the budget shops.

1 Like

Agreed, you must be able to see my pantry :rofl:

1 Like

Indeed Pegs are very versatile, closing bags and many other uses not just on the line.
Happy Sitting

1 Like

I’m sitting in a London flat and have seen only two pegs, both in the kitchen. They must use them for sealing bags.

At my house, we use pegs and binder clips. The latter are good in jumbo sizes for bigger packages.

1 Like

We could, we are on our 69th HS, I couldn’t buy them the cheap ones, I don’t buy them for myself, I just couldn’t do it, that’s part of the challenge, they are cheap pegs, most of my Pegs are over 10yrs old and still going strong, I am OCD and have a thing about Pegs, lol.
Happy Sitting

lol, I suppose it’s different for everyone, HS is an eye opening experience, I have learned now to just take our Pegs (I have had most of ours for over 10yrs now, they are so useful for so many things)
Happy Sitting

We used to use them all the time when I was a kid, living in the tropics. We always hung out clothes to dry, even though we had a washer. It took no time to sun dry and the clothes always smelled naturally good.

3 Likes

Same to you Mandal, my OCD moments are can openers.

1 Like

Agreed, Moving to the UK from Australia 18 years ago with a new born, I was like “where is the outside line?” actually “where is in the inside?” we stayed in short term rentals (like airbnb now) then executive rentals, a folding drying rack or a tumble dryer. When we got into our own place we went to get an outdoor clothes line (A big hills hoist, I thought they had them over here, big enough for 4 small kids to hang off every corner and swing round and round, until an Adult yelled “kid’s get off the clothes line”) we ended up getting one of the pull out ones that attaches to a post or wall, thankfully our Garden was all brick walled so we attached to either end and in a good area that the Kids could play (Toddle) around and it was safe, it must have caught on as they Neighbours started to invest in them too.
I do miss line dried linen and clothing for sure, we have a couple of repeat HS that have outside line (strung from one big old tree to another old tree and sometimes onto another, lots of line space and pegs too!)
Happy Sitting

Lovely nostalgia!

1 Like

@Manda, sending you this from my current London sit. The peg is even color coordinated. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

loving this.

I bring a couple of these (first image) when I travel. I use them to hang washcloths (or face flannels or face cloths to Brits) in the shower. They’ve lasted for a decade or longer in some cases.

At home, I use them to hang hats and some gloves and scarves.

The plastic ones aren’t as sturdy as the metal ones, though. I’ve since added the metal ones in my RV.

4 Likes

But of course @Maggie8K , it has to be colour coordinated that goes without saying !! :rofl:

1 Like