Pondering future sits &rental cars-

No I haven’t but will check that, thank you. Also thanks for the offer of your car, if I was there :grinning:. I hope someone is turning it over for you regularly

2 Likes

The car is being well looked after @Smiley! I don’t know much about Jucy but see them about .

2 Likes

@SunshineAndAloha @Smiley We never use rental cars, or our own car, to transport dogs. Rentals because we know its prohibited and our own because we live out of it while on-the-road so its pretty full, and also we don’t want dog hairs. The only exception was once recently we had to take a poor dog (in agony) to the emergency vet and going in our car was the fastest way… We try always to choose sits where we can walk dogs from the door. The rare occasions when a car is needed for going to dog walking places then the HO has provided one. Once we only realised on arrival at the sit that 2 big Vizlars needed driving to the forest! Somehow we’d got the impression the home was much more rural & the subject just had not come up! The HO was a first timer and had not thought it through (awkward moment!) but he immediately offered use of one of his cars and put me straight on the insurance. :blush: (and we sat for them twice more with the same arrangement)

5 Likes

Just checked Jucy for November/December when I’m in NZ again and all sold out! Availability with my trusty Radcarhire though….at cost, but it has to be done

Coming back here with an update as @Angela_L requested on Australian hire car.
I checked out a comparison site for picking up a car in Wollongong 8/7 & dropping it off at Canberra Airport 27/7 (19 days). While it came back with a reasonable quote (Aus $909) when I wrote I lived in the UK another $300+ was added!!!
@Temba I looked at Jucy but they only hire in a few Aussie cities.
@botvot Qeeq gave me a similar quote to the comparison site I used.
I’m spending tonight in Wollongong so decided to call in at two hire companies I could walk to. I first went to Avis Budget where, after telling them of my experience online, I was quoted $810 with unlimited kms. I have my own insurance cover for excess so don’t need that.
I then called in at Europcar and was quoted over $3000!! When I queried this I was told their charge for dropping off at a different location was $1000! The problem is, after the pandemic, there still aren’t enough cars.
I went back to Avis Budget and booked with them.
The moral of this story is, look online initially and then deal direct with the hire companies.
Thank you all for your input. I’m pleased with the outcome.

3 Likes

Thank you @Smiley that is really good feedback and as you say

that often applies to hotels, airlines and other related services also.

Thank you again, safe and happy travels. :wink:

1 Like