Pondering future sits &rental cars-

I pondered heading to Tassie for something different but the charge for a rental car :hushed: blew me away! Not the same story round oz though.

What’s the story outside of Aus/NZ atm?

Not sure where I read the tip on leasing a vehicle rather than renting whilst in Europe/UK pre pandemic but I found https://www.driveaway.com.au/ and wondered if there are others UK sitters may use? With Brexit & Covid, it would be great to know of the most trustworthy places to gather info on vehicle rentals etc.

I appreciate any info as may be useful to us very early next year.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We go to Denmark next july. Had looked on car rentals through Avis. Double price than Sixt. But insurances added it is expensive. Around 700 € for 12 days

1 Like

That’s seems normal for a European holiday season $1000Aus for 12 days.

Silly q…Why not use your own car & drive there? Not that far (1700km) compared to Australia & more exciting than driving Newcastle-Adelaide (same).

1 Like

We thought about drivingnorth but that means motorways tolls which are expensive + restaurants lunch and dinner during 2 days + petrol+ hôtel for at least one night and a lot of fatigue …
The same on our way back. So 4 days lost when a plane + a rental car make life simple even a little more expensive

1 Like

We have a sit in July we paid the ferry 200 pounds.
We our Sitting for the same HO at Christmas.
We have booked our flights .
HO is putting us on their car insurance .
Bit relieved at this as driving from the ferry
Downtwards the midlands isn’t very nice in the dark winter nights.

1 Like

We are traveling to Hawaii in May/June. Fortunately the homeowners are allowing us to use their car for the month we are on the island of Oahu because we are hearing about major shortages of rental cars and jacked up prices. We are also spending two weeks on Maui and are daily hearing horror stories of people who arrive on the island and finding the rental car place doesn’t have a vehicle for them. We have a car reserved through a local rental (family owned) place we’ve used before and :crossed_fingers: that it’s there when we arrive.

2 Likes

Same prices in the U.S. Even in normally times it’s really expensive to rent a car here. This is why we don’t take sits where a car is required and not provided. In the U.S., most insurances allow for coverage of occasional drivers that don’t permanently live where the main driver does. So it covers sitters. We’ve been loaned cars on tons of occasions. To me doesn’t make any sense to pay thousands of dollars for a car in order to house sit. Kind of defeats a lot of the point imho.

2 Likes