Posts about cameras making me a little nervous

How are cameras good for health??

2 Likes

I believe she is indicating a liability scenario. Certain countries are big on suing people

1 Like

I know. They are not allowed. Sorry I assumed this post was just inquiring about our opinion on the presence of cameras. So was providing my opinion is I’m okay it in common areas of homes. In addition I work in healthcare and I encourage the use of them for everyone protection.

In Homecare sadly a lot happens it’s
for protection of everyone. I also use a prime example I was caring for my aunt (medically complex elder) emergency happened 911 was called… my cousin noticed I wasn’t responding to texts… she saw the cameras and was already leaving work heading to meet us at hospital which saved time.

My aunt passed uncle lives alone family still has cameras to ensure he is okay. He has medical alert also but belive me cameras have been a god send for us

Ps I will
Leave out the bad caregivers part and there was a few over the 5 years she had 24 hour care

1 Like

Oof, count me out of any environment that is so litigious that I have to sacrifice my right to privacy.

8 Likes

Sadly it’s not unusual. In the US

@PrincessPetProtector

No absolute not ok in any scenario on this sitting platform.

If you’re making arrangements outside of the app do whatever you want.

It’s intrusive, weird and totally inappropriate.

Trusted housesitters needs to start with the first word.

3 Likes

I think inside cameras is clearly not acceptable, just like in an Airbnb, they aren’t allowed and should be reported. It’s an invasion of space, privacy and human rights.

External for security purposes fair enough or a Ring Doorbell.

But inside is a no-no in my books.

2 Likes

Ironically, 2/2 of the sits we’ve done in the UK have had internal cameras though both times the hosts had no issues turning them off. Also, in the states, its been quite common for an external camera as well. We always just ask beforehand if there are any on the property we should know about, and then ask to turn off any that would make us uncomfortable. (twice they’ve been in the garage, which i don’t love either)

Quite a few of my sits in the UK have had outdoor cameras, either the doorbell type or actual cameras fixed to the walls. I think it is quite common now as a security measure. A couple have had indoor cameras to watch the pets. One I was told about, the other not. I unplugged both of them at the socket. I think PPs are generally unaware of the THS stipulation for no indoor cameras - who ever reads all the small print?! And as one lady said, they just forget they are there. One house I went had cameras in their renovated kitchen but they were switched off. So, basically, there are now a good few around in the UK so it is advisable to ask about them.

1 Like

I did a house sit in USA and they had external cameras, I also felt I was being monitored as to whether I left the dogs for longer than the 4 hours, I never would, and like you whether I walked the dog at the right time and often enough. Theirs notified them anytime there was movement outside. It’s certainly a difficult one as I am sure it’s for security but I felt I was being watched.

I have a ring bell and tbh, as a HO, I have it to deter people from taking packages. Most folks probably don’t clock it either unless they feel unsafe with the person they picked or if they have control issues.

I personally have also sat in homes with outside cameras and don’t mind those as THS allows them as long as they’re for security- ie outside of porch, garage.

1 Like

Nope. Nope. Nope. I don’t have these devices in or outside my home and I don’t want to live with them when I travel. Interior cameras are an out-and-out invasion of my privacy and violation of THS rules. The more sitters acquiesce to these intrusive devices, the more of them we’ll encounter. Interior camera(s) I encounter on a sit will be reported and subsequent sitters will be alerted in the review I leave.

6 Likes