Recommendations for Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Thank you, @systaran! I hope your spring trip is a blast!

Thank you, Jenny! Today, I wandered about and spent many hours here: NATIONAL MUSEUM OF SCOTLAND: All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos).

Had a pleasant lunch there as well.

Later had dinner around the corner from my hotel in the old town, overlooking the Christmas market.

Returned to the Christmas market and bought more ornaments, because what’s a holiday season visit without a Santa Claus wearing tartan and playing the bagpipes?

I had to find out what a stovie was, LOL.

Yum, truffle fries. Excellent cocktail, so I had two!

5 Likes

Wow @Maggie8K you certainly travel differently to me! :laughing: My meals would consist of a burger takeaway, Macca’s or something from the supermarket quick heat section :joy::joy: Do try to get to the Brittania, it’s only a short bus ride from the city and I’m sure you would find it interesting, though probably moreso for a Commonwealth country member as myself. (I had to Google stovies) :laughing:

Don’t forget to have some haggis and cranachan.

@ziggy, I mix it up on longer trips. I love that the U.K. has so many ready-made sandwiches and other meals. I stopped by Marks & Spencer yesterday and drooled at some meals, but didn’t buy, because I wasn’t sure whether I’d switch hotels. I often stay at a few in a city, so I get to know different areas. But I just decided today to stick with the one I’m at and have happily put in a Deliveroo order for drinks and snacks.

1 Like

Thanks, @mars. I tried haggis last night, but wasn’t to my taste. Will look out for more Scottish specialties.

1 Like

Oh yes! Marks and Spencer have THE most amazing foods and is a regular go-to of mine when visiting. Sainsbury’s is probably my most frequented as they are literally everywhere in the UK and very good for a quick and easy, and healthy mostly, meal.

Stop it, I’m hungry for the UK! :laughing::yum::yum:

LOL. Yes, I love looking at all the grocery stores and at places like Boots and Superdrug. I’d rather they had fewer products like we do in the U.S., because I love checking out other countries’ products.

That’s one of the drawbacks with internationalization nowadays — get off the plane and see a Krispy Kreme. I remember ye olden days, when you traveled and places were more foreign and unique.

2 Likes

I think the further outside the main cities you go, the less you will see of the bigger international stores and products. Particularly so in Scotland but not in cities such as Edinburgh. The larger cities cater for the average tourist who sometimes don’t like to venture far from their comfort zone food wise. I know when I go to Cairo, or places like that, I feel “safe” (relatively) eating at McDonald’s. They generally have hygiene standards to adhere to. But that’s another topic :wink:

Yes, many tourists like to stick with what they know. I prefer to try new things, which is why I travel. It used to be less generic even in large cities. Globalization of businesses has made things much more alike.

Have you got snow there @Maggie8K ? :snowman_with_snow:

@Silversitters yes I was just reading about the snow in Glasgow, airport is currently closed also! What a lovely Christmas, to have snow! Coming from Australia where it’s currently 34 degrees Celsius it sounds wonderful. :snowman_with_snow::evergreen_tree:

Not in Edinburgh, where I am. I went on the rooftop deck of my hotel last evening and it was icy, but that was it.

1 Like

Our flight from Berlin to Edinburgh is currently delayed so glad to hear it is not due to snow there! Just up the road in Clackmannan this morning. Hope BiL has dug the car out to come and pick us up :thinking::snowflake::snowflake:

2 Likes

Save travels, @Shannon! Still no snow where I am, old town area. I just got back to my hotel after a day of sightseeing and will head to dinner next. It’s been getting chillier at night, but not cold enough for what I’d prepared for. I even packed a pair of fleece-lined pants, gloves and liners, scarf and earmuffs, LOL. Maybe I’ll be using them in Glasgow.

1 Like

Visited Edinburgh Castle today, which was a treat. I ended up spending way more time than expected. Fascinating. And when I was leaving, encountered a bunch of service people heading in for an event.

4 Likes

Also visited Holyrood palace. It was unexpectedly lovely and interesting.

It was decorated for Christmas, but you couldn’t take photos inside.

2 Likes

A cool surprise: A bagpipes-playing Santa dropped in at the restaurant where I’m having dinner, LOL.

He played “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” and it actually sounded good.

3 Likes

This is great to know. Do you know roughly how much is the right amount to tip at the end and do most folks oblige? Never quite sure what is the appropriate amount for these sorts of things? A fiver, a tenner and is it usually cash or card?

Of course, cash is preferred but I’m pretty sure all of these walking tours accept cards – I’ve taken them in other cities too. Most people seem to tip. Think about what you might pay for a tour like this and tip accordingly. I can’t recall what I’ve tipped but I think between $5 and $15 or maybe more as prices have gone up. They will give you a suggestion, usually on the higher side.

Another good thing about the walking tours is you get suggestions of other attractions to see that you may not have known about otherwise.