Looking for suggestions for South Yorkshire and Yorkshire in general

Hey all! I’m beyond excited about my upcoming sits this spring in the UK. It will be my first time doing overseas sits so I’m looking forward to it. My first sit is early March in Dunbar Scotland then plans to visit s friend in Inverness afterwards. I’ll be in Scotland for around a month initially then I’ll be heading to England ( South Yorkshire) early April. I’ve begun researching the region and hope to spend a bit of time in the coastal parts of Yorkshire after the sit for about a week. I will not be driving so will be researching busses and Trains. I appreciate any suggestions of those that have spent time in the area. Fortunately my sit is a couple of houses from a bus stop and takes about a half hour to the nearest larger town. I’m very resourceful so I’m pretty experienced about navigating in places. Thanks in advance :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Yorkshire. On the Coast, Whitby is quite nice and accessible by both train and bus. Other coastal towns are easy to access and so is York. Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi @Catgoddess_99
My home city is York where I spent the first few decades of my life! Definitely recommend a visit to York. You can get a train or bus to the East coast from York to places like Whitby. Well worth the scenic ride over the Yorkshire Moors to the fishing town of Whitby.
The Yorkshire dales are also worth a visit with places like Hawes and Wensleydale (where the cheese originally comes from!). Not sure if buses still can get you to either place.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the tips!

HO is in a villages in South Yorkshire

Since you won’t be driving, relying on buses and trains is a great idea. When you’re in the UK, explore Dunbar and enjoy its charming harbor. In Inverness, don’t miss Loch Ness. In South Yorkshire, check out Sheffield’s arts scene and visit the coastal towns of Scarborough and Whitby. Consider taking a scenic ride on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Just remember to check bus and train schedules for easy travel. Have a fantastic time exploring! :earth_africa::steam_locomotive:

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the great tips :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @Catgoddess_99 - I live in South Yorkshire. Please DM me with the area you are staying and your interests. I can then tailor some suggestions for you.

2 Likes

Definitely go to York and Whitby. We did a 2 week sit in Whitby in March. It is a great place to explore. Staithes just to the north and Robin Hoods Bay juat to the south are very picturesque. The X93 bus between Whitby and Scarborough is a cheap way to do the scenic drive over the North Yorkshire Moors. There is alot to see in York. A must place to visit is York Minster, make sure you pay the extra to climb to the top of Minster on a guided tour.

1 Like

All of the places that others have mentioned are among the most photographed places in Yorkshire for their beauty.

It sounds like you may be on the train with mentioning Dunbar and Inverness, so if you’re planning on catching the train to South Yorkshire, then I would highly recommend you stopping off in Durham for a least one night as the train station is really close to the City Centre, and the City is stunningly beautiful! Bite sized and gorgeous, everywhere is walkable, or there is a bus directly from the station to help if you need it (the Cathedral bus), with a very pretty river walk wrapping itself around the Castle, and Cathedral, and City Centre cafes.

If you happen to stop off in Durham, there is a place called Wharton Park that is positioned just a 2 min walk from the train station and has the most amazing views of the city, cathedral, and castle. Just google ‘Wharton Park Durham Views’ and you’ll see what I mean. It’s brilliant to have such amazing views without having to hike up a mountain :rofl:.

Stopping off in York or Harrogate would also be fantastic. Some places in North Yorkshire, like Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes are very very pretty.

But for specifically South Yorkshire, it depends where exactly how you are planning on getting around and what sort of thing you like.

Personally my favourite thing about the UK in springtime is daffodils, blossom trees, and tulips, so google any places you fancy and pop in those words next to it, as there is bound to be an amazing display nearby. For example, if you want to pay ‘RHS Harlow Carr’ at Harrogate has amazing rhododendrons in the spring but there is also a very pretty park right in the centre of the town for free, but also for free is Helmsley which has beautiful daffodils alongside a stream etc.

1 Like