Responding to sitter applications

Hi Sher, Just to add my experience as a HO. I have had 2 completed and one confirmed future sit. Each one had a difference process. I have read many complaints from HS about HO not responding to them so have tried to be super sensitive to this and keep everyone in the loop, since there is a group notification option it is easy enough to do.

This last sit I stopped the ad running when I thought I had enough on my "good fit list’. I let everyone else know that they were not on my final list so I would not keep them holding on. Then the ones on my ‘good fit list’ failed to ‘close’ because of various reasons.

So there I was with not enough people who were a fit and had to restart the ad again. I can see from many HS they only apply to new sits and I think this is not a good idea because a good sit could be reposted like mine. In fact I met a perfect candidate this way but only 2 hours before had confirmed with another HS.

HO are thrown into a ‘hiring process’ that they may not be used to. I know I find the process overwhelming trying to figure out the best fit and keeping everyone in the loop without losing a good potential. So when I hit the ‘go live’ button I know I will have to stay on task with this until a good match is found and secured.

8 Likes

Thanks Snowbird!

2 Likes

@MissChef You know, I’m glad you said this. I had a situation recently where a sit was canceled (not her fault) and I was already booked by the time she rescheduled, and she was pretty disappointed in me. I don’t think I did anything wrong, but I hated to disappoint her. I always take first come, first served, otherwise, I’d go nuts. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one. It makes me feel a little better! (The whole point of this forum in a nutshell!)

5 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks! It means a lot to know that you found that reassuring. I’m on another forum (for teaching) and they’re kinda backstabby and competitive, but this forum feels like “friends helping friends”, and I appreciate how we’re all helpful to each other.

6 Likes

Hi, Sher! And welcome. I’m relatively new to this, too and it is a hobby for me, not to keep roof over my head. I apply for sits where I want to visit. And that may mean multiple applications at once. If someone responds right away and invites me to sit that gives a really warm feeling to know that my profile, etc. appealed to the home/pet owner. I take the offer that comes first. I think it’s nice you let the applicants know that you prefer to wait or more applications. If I take a “sit” with other applications out for those dates I send personal message as well as just withdrawing my applications via the computer “click”. Communication is key as well as mutual respect for others’ time and feelings. Again, Welcome!!

2 Likes

Thanks rdcookone for sharing your experiences as a sitter.
Thanks to everyone who has shared their perspectives and experiences. As a new HO, the discussions have been very helpful!

2 Likes

Hi Kerri,
Sorry for my delayed response. Somehow I missed your response until just now.
It is a trying process and a balancing job. Like you, I don’t want to keep sitters hanging, but as a HO, I want the “best” fit for myself and my cat. I appreciate that some sitters are transparent about only applying for new postings. But is it a limiting factor for a HO, as a listing is only labeled “new” for 24 hours. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
I confirmed a sitter today and feel we are a good fit!

2 Likes

I want you all to know that I confirmed a sitter today! It has been a learning experience! All of the input I received on this forum helped me through the process. Thank you!

12 Likes

Congratulations. I’m sure it will be a success and you’ll never look back :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Sher
I am reletively new to this site and only have 4 experiences respoding to HOs so far.
The HO’s of two sits replied to me andrequeste a chat. One was via Whatsapp video call and tthe other was a Whatsapp verbal call. Both went well and we bonded straight away. Both these sits have been confirmed. :slight_smile:
One HO has had her sit up for ages now and has not responded. After a week I withdrew my unread application.
The last one had 50+ applications and took almost a week to get back to me. Too long. I was not successful but was about to withdraw my application anyway.
Bottom line is: Respond, communicate and accept or reject quickly to allow us to all move on to the next one.
I hope everything goes well for you. I am so excited to be sitting with new puppies at one sit and there will be new lambs at the other.

3 Likes

Thank you for doing this. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s driven mental by HO’s who appear to post a sit and then wander off, never to be seen again…

7 Likes

Sher, thank you for posting this question! The responses from HOs have been very enlightening. After nearly 7 years as a nearly full-time sitter, I’m afraid I’ve gotten a little jaded about bad HO behavior, hence my habit of only applying to new listings. In the future I’ll be less likely to disregard the more . . . mature . . . listings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @teddypdx I’m sorry to hear you’ve decided to manage your applications in this way.

I have to say in over 10 years of full time sitting six in perpetual motion without a home base, my experiences of owners across the board has been overwhelmingly positive. If there is any “bad behavior” as with every situation in life it’s usually down to the individual not a particular cohort, in this case owner’s of mature/historical listings

1 Like

Hi all
I am glad that my question has resulted in good discussions from both HS and HO. Hopefully, the discussions have provided a better understanding from HS and HO perspectives. Unfortunately, there are some “bad apples” on both the HO and HS sides. But from my brief association with THS, I think the majority of the members are respectful of each other.

4 Likes

Our advice is to be pro-active. You can also look through the sits available and apply direct - after a probable video interview (which goes both ways) you can then choose if you want to go ahead. Good Luck and welcome . . .

It just happened to me the other way round. Yes, we wanted to wait until we’re back from our vacation in March until we planned to set up a video call with our three applicants and I am not angry that two have secured sits in the meantime. I didn’t want to keep anybody on hold.
It’s very understandable but I only found out, because I sent them a message apologizing that I was really busy and only wanted to check if they would like to do a video call by the end of March.
They said they were not longer available, thank you so much…I think it’s rude not to tell us right away. I was kept in the belief that they were still interested. When they applied I answered right away and we agreed upon waiting for a few weeks until we decide.

3 Likes

Oh, I think you’ve misunderstood me! I was referring to “mature” listings – as in, listings that no longer have the “new” tag on them! I wasn’t referring to mature members!

Also, my point was that this discussion has made me realize I should not limit myself to only new listings . . .

Hi @teddypdx thank you for taking the time to respond and I really did know that you were referring to mature “Listings” not mature members :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m new, but a little confused. Why put up a listing to collect applications when it could be a week or longer before you decide on which sitter to pick? I know not all sitters apply for multiple at once, but some do. Why not wait until you can sit and decide, in a couple of days? If I applied for something and unless it was something I was truly hopeful for, I would withdraw after a week to be honest. I don’t see myself applying for Multiple sits at once but it would make me question a lot or possible over analyze it when there really is no need too. Also it would make me think you’re waiting for someone better than me. No prob to those that do this, just my 2cents.

3 Likes

It’s not about the sitters to move on when it takes too long for the HO to decide but to let the HO know that they did.
I actually didn’t expect any applications (because of Corona) until a few weeks later than I posted the listing. I knew that I wouldn’t have much time to get it online later so I thought I do it when I have time and have it out of my mind until we are ready to decide which sitter to confirm.
Next time I think I prepare the listing but don’t post it yet.

4 Likes