HO taking time

I have been applying for sits on a few sites recently including TH and finding something quite consistent. Obviously we full-time sitters apply for more than one sit at a time, we don’t always apply for just one. Recently, past three applications, the HO has said e.g. going away for a few days, I’ll get back when I return. Or, can’t reply to everyone at present, I’ll get back as soon as I can. Just examples of what I am getting. Now, I get all the positive vibes that I’m half a chance of getting the sit, but I have also applied for three other good sits. Then, a week later, the HO comes back wanting a video chat etc and I have to say I’m no longer available! This is so time wasting on both sides, I wish the sits and the HO were available when the sit is posted, not “let’s maybe organise a chat next week, I have multiple people enquiring, but you sound perfect”. Then you either never hear from them again or they advise they chose another sitter. Hope I explained that properly, I might just be going through this “phase” with HO’s but it’s getting frustrating. I now just move on to the next sit I am accepted for as I can’t waste time waiting a week or more for a possibly/maybe/sorry. Anyone else have this issue?

3 Likes

I have noticed HOs taking time recently, just based on more recent experience. I suppose it varies. One thing I would suggest is setting your own boundaries and deciding your limits. This is so important. For example, I now withdraw an application if I haven’t had a response/ acknowledgement from the HO (but they have read it) within a few days. Sitters can’t be expected to wait indefinitely for a response.

3 Likes

Yes… I’m not a full-timer, but I do this all the time.

@ziggy I’ve started to reply back
*I continue to send out applications and except invitations until I have confirmed sits.

1 Like

We tell owners in our application that we are applying for other sits with similiar dates to theirs and hope to hear from them soon as we may not be available once booked by other owners. If they take too long to decide then it’s their loss as we just move on. We withdraw our application and tell them we are no longer available.

We’ve noticed owners still taking ages to choose a sitter despite THS blocking applications after 5.

2 Likes

Crookie, I like how you phrase that, I think I will do something similar. I just had a situation where HO’s set up a video call 5 days after we first made contact but then another HO the next day set up a video call that evening and we accepted that sit. I felt bad for the first HO’s but time is of the essence.

3 Likes

We’ve submitted applications that were not read for days on end. If another opportunity pops up inbetween we grab it. If not we leave the unread ones pending. Usually the host eventually writes saying things like- i was away all last week etc. Other times they eventually decline us with no personal note (which I find a bit rude) Sometimes we get another sit whilst waiting and withdraw our application only to have a host say- I was away & only just saw your application, or I was just about to contact you! Sometimes it still works out that we are available and willing but I always wonder why hosts post listings and then are not able to monitor them, for whatever reason!
If the host reads it but does not respond within a day or two I usually withdraw the application.
One recent exception was a sit we really wanted. They had a few applications so I rushed to get a quick message in but missed the boat and the dates disappeared. Fortunately they had further Christmas dates listed so I was able to apply on those dates explaining that my application was for the earlier dates. They saw the msg but did not respond. Two days later I asked if they were considering us at all or should we just move on. No response.
Next day the dates I wanted suddenly came live again so I immediately applied again! 5 minutes later the host responded, delighted we’d made contact again! We arranged a video chat and she apologised for having accidently paused her listing (hubby was to blame!) Anyway we had a great connection, confirmed the Sit and will start it on Saturday! Sometimes its worth pursuing a sit as you never really know whats going on in the background and other times best to just move on!

2 Likes

Some great ideas here and I will definitely start to rephrase my applications. I have had three owners in two days stating I sound perfect and they will get back to me "when they finish work, or when they return next week and another that says if we lock in the dates you won’t back out will you. So all three sounded so positive then bam - nothing further. All three sits I really wanted so I did wait, I also sent follow up messages saying how much I would love to pursue it further, but still zilch, nothing. So now I will just withdraw my applications as suggested as I get quite anxious waiting and waiting only to eventually get let down when they never reply. Sitters sometimes get bad raps but gee, it goes both ways sometimes. As originally stated, I haven’t had this so much in the past but seem to be getting it nearly every application now. As if things aren’t hard enough with the 5 limit nonsense, now I am struggling with thinking I am half way there only to be let down. I guess the old saying…if you don’t expect anything you won’t be disappointed. I need to toughen up lol

2 Likes

@ziggy I don’t think you need to toughen up. Be kind to yourself, this process can suck sometimes! I don’t quite understand the attitude of ‘you sound wonderful’ followed by radio silence. I do think some home owners aren’t aware that the sitters may be applying for other sits at the same time as theirs, and so take for granted that they can respond in their own time. It sounds like you’ve experienced a bout of back luck where this is concerned, but as others have said, your time is valuable and it’s not fair to be kept waiting indefinitely.

I would suggest doing what feels right for you. I don’t mind waiting for a couple of days, but after a point it becomes excessive and I’ll just withdraw the application with a short note saying ‘No response received, application withdrawn’ or similar. I do think that if there isn’t consistent communication, it’s not the best sign. Communication is pivotal to a successful sit. It also feels better to take matters into my own hands and draw a line under the waiting period, essentially saying ‘that’s it, I’ve waited long enough and I’m now taking myself out of the race’. While I believe the majority of home owners are kind and respectful of sitters, there seem to be plenty that take this service for granted or just hit the decline button without a personal acknowledgement, especially after you’ve put effort into an application! Try not to take it personally (I know, easier said than done). It happens to the best of us!

7 Likes

Great words strawberryen and encouraging ones at that. I totally agree that communication is pivotal and to be honest, now that I have written all this down on the forum and received such understanding replies, I am going to start withdrawing applications despite wanting the particular sits. It really isn’t worth the angst. I do honestly feel that homeowners, the majority at least, just don’t realise the effort and time we put into writing applications, waiting, responding etc and don’t realise that we can’t be hanging on by a thread waiting endlessly for “the right time” to choose a sitter, or respond. I don’t really take it personally, I just get frustrated that they dangle a carrot then chop it off.

2 Likes

Agree completely. Perhaps I was projecting, as I have definitely felt it was personal when I’ve experienced rejection in the past! It can be so disheartening to construct a well-written application, adhered to a particular sit, only for it to go unacknowledged. It feels like applying for a job you feel you’re perfect for and are excited about, only to be declined. An experience many of us have had, I’m sure.

Also agree that you can’t be expected to be endlessly waiting for the HO to get back to you. It feels disrespectful of your time.

1 Like

It’s always been a problem then they are none to pleased because you have got another sit, I usually unapply to sits when I have the dates filled and write a short note explaining why. I have to admit I have left an application open at the moment for one I applied for two months ago. I can’t do the dates anymore but it’s an experiment to see how long they take to choose.

Don’t feel bad @Kootenaigirl for HOs not prioritising getting a sitter asap. They probably don’t see it as a high priority with other things going on in their lives but ultimately “they snooze, they lose”. It’s that simple. All decisions have consequences.

2 Likes

I had one message to say she wanted me and only confirmed this like the week of the sit. Sorry…i don’t wait around. Busy!

2 Likes

A simple solution might be that we you apply for a sit to say something like “ unless I hear from you within 5 working days, I will assume you have chosen your sitter and no longer have a need. Thank you”

2 Likes

Just did my first “sorry, I haven’t heard back from you and I see my recent messages are unread so as I need to continue my search for a suitable sit, I am withdrawing my application.”. That hurt lol but going forward I need to do it. I need to take back control of my future and waiting for people to make decisions for that future, doesn’t fit into my life.

5 Likes

In the past, if the HO hadn’t responded in a timeframe that suited me, I’ve just withdrawn the application. No big deal. Life happens, people get overwhelmed, strangers on the internet aren’t their priority - I’d never assume that it’s anything personal.
I’ve also felt that it’s good for HOs to understand that if they’re not speedy, they’re likely to lose out.

In the new 5-application world, it’s a bit different. If you’ve already won a race to hit the first five, it seems like more of a commitment, doesn’t it? Who knows when the next suitable sit might come along and whether you might be quick enough to get in first?

1 Like

I hate to say it, but as a homeowner, I’d probably decline an application that said this. It’s not a good reflection of being accommodating. :grimacing:

1 Like

@ziggy I’m doing this now too. Everyone should!

1 Like

Please bear in mind, I DON’T take this personally, it is purely a frustrating, time consuming annoyance :relaxed:

2 Likes