Sitter AVAILABILITY Calendar - and how to edit/add/delete dates and location

Hi @Petermac @BunnyCat … thank you both and yes the team do look at the forum and these threads constantly they value the incredible amount of member feedback and insights after all you are the ones who use the product and are the very best to feedback the user experiences.

We have a bi weekly Member Feedback meeting, it lasts an hour and members from across the departments are present including Senior Management. A forum update is included and next week we are presenting this very topic with all of your suggestions about the Availability Calendar and so not only will they see it on their daily forum visits, it will be a point of presentation and discussion.

We will feedback any relevant information … thank you

4 Likes

Thank you @Petermac for tagging me. I just tried to search for available sitters and, as @bee already said, it would certainly drive me crazy, because each profile I clicked, the dates didn’t necessarily show availability for the timeframe I was looking for. So it seems useless to me and very time consuming, especially when sitters don’t update it.
Hopefully the product team will change something about this as they will be looking into this as @Angela-HeadOfCommunity said.
At the moment, the best chance to find a sitter is to create a very good and eye catching listing and to use the boost function.

1 Like

We are currently listed in a city where we will no longer be living. In fact we will be exploring a whole country for around 6 months. We have reached that sweet place where we seem to receive an invitation to sit at least once a week and lately every day. How do we let folks know where we are? Can we be nomadic with a region instead of a city?

Hi @JCKC. You can change your location to reflect where you would like to sit. See the instructions in my post from the other day, below the instructions on how to use the calendar, Peter.

Sitter AVAILABILITY Calendar - and how to edit/add/delete dates and location

2 Likes

Thank you. I finally figured it out and it reflects our new location. But reading your answer led me to others. The forum is great.

2 Likes

Yes, because i think no one really looks at the availability. Make it a more useful tool that pops up if we have updated it. When searching a sitter it would come up like it was our residence address. I have invitations every week from my home area. I hate telling them I am not there and I think it is bad for THS because the owner feels like they wasted their time researching and inviting me.

Hello Angela, could you put on the list re calendar that the colours referred to constantly don’t look the same for systems using dark modes. I just added an available week but the green doesn’t show up and neither do the crossed-out days.
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.47.18

Hi @Lauraa, what an excellent point.

I don’t often use the app so have never noticed that.

It does show however how much work has to go into changing something which some may think is just a simple tweak - tests on every type of phone app, browser etc.

Yes @Petermac it’s why I’d suggest just make it possible to hide the calendar for those of us that don’t use it or don’t use it properly.

Hmm, not sure if I agree with that.

I think the calendar is an important part of the whole process.
If you are a full-time sitter, fine, you are almost always available and confirmed sits block off parts of your calendar automatically. You can change location to where you want to go next.

If you only sit a couple of times a year, you use the calendar to highlight when.

Recent times have probably made this even more important where more owners are actively searching for sitters, if everyone filled in the calendar it would make a massive difference - reduce the unwanted sit requests so many sitters say they are getting.

It is about educating the users to do the best thing. Maybe some kind of check on blank(all white) calenders would produce a list of sitters not using it, and an email from THS to remind them, or give instructions.

After all, if you pay an annual subscription you must have a plan to use the service at least once a year.

Another idea, which I have used on another sit site, is to hide your listing, so owners can’t search you until you are free to sit. Visible or hidden.

And also the option to say yes or no to local sits if you don’t change your location.
Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 14.29.30

Please note these are examples from another Housesit site, not THS!

You are one of the users and understanders of the calendar; I don’t want or like it. But note at the moment I fit neither of your two types of sitter. If I feel like it and the right thing turns up, I’m available. I might feel like it a lot of the time for a while and then not feel like it. Also, if I could disappear my calendar altogether, it wouldn’t stop your using it. I suggest the hiding option as response to your comment that fixing it is a big task.

1 Like

Hi @Lauraa apologies for the delay in responding but I have been offline (I’m on PT at the moment) @Vanessa-ForumCMgr has passed this over to the Tech Team and they are looking into it. Thank you for flagging.

1 Like

Can anyone explain how to do this, please.
I’ve managed to get into the calender previously but cant work out how to at all now on either the website or the app.
We have no availability now until the end of August & id like to show that on my dashboard to save HO’s contacting us unnecessarily.
Thankyou

Hi @Gina I have moved your post here to help with your question, our members have shared their knowledge and this thread contains much of the information you are looking for.

Hi @Gina. @Petermac created an excellent post that explains the various workings of the calendar - see below. Keep in mind that the calendar defaults to being unavailable (in white) and you add in when you ARE available (shows as green).

As owners are actively contacting sitters lately, you may also want to edit your profile and show clearly at the start that you are unavailable until September. It just reinforces what you are showing in your calendar, but can be more noticeable when at the start of your profile.

Thankyou.
I couldnt see the “manage availability” anywhere!
Now i just hope ive shaded the right area! Lol.

HOMEOWNERS - I can’t see what you see… I keep getting inquiries for dates that I’m already booked on this website. Are the people inviting me just not looking, or did I do something wrong?

Is the system not ‘smart’ enough that someone can invite me for dates that are blocked off?

I don’t want to go through support, it takes days. Can a homeowner please spare 2 mins and look at my calendar?

Just DM me… :slight_smile:

They’re not looking at your availability calendar. They’re just hitting “Invite Sitter” and your calendar is not synched with that. Maybe add – where you discuss availability – Please review my availability calendar below before sending an invitation

Well that’s kind of silly isn’t it? I thought the system would be smarter than that, but it’s not integrated at all, is it?

And while I appreciate your optimism, I’m getting invitations to go to Europe every couple of days, and it says in my profile that I’m not going to Europe until May 2023… So I don’t think a whole lot of people are even reading that at all.

That might be on purpose? Sitters who sit as a team/couple will overlap dates and separate for a few days to cover the double sits. If they removed that possibility, I imagine some of them would be a little cranky.

1 Like