Sitters taking alcohol?!

I would. Well, maybe a bit much for a few days. And the more serious issue in my opinion is that they invited friends over and had a party and made a mess.

But it has happened that I was shown the wine fridge, where I was told that the bottles in the door were for me (and that the rest of that fridge was not). I estimate that that was worth more than £30.

1 Like

This seems pretty clear to me.

4 Likes

I think where this is different is that I didn’t tell them to help themselves to any alcohol. If they thought it was up for grabs then why would they now be denying they took it at all. I know I’m new to this but surely unless told that things, whatever they are, can be taken then surely they should be left? I would worry about now having to leave instructions about every last thing I don’t want taken from my home. Where would that list end?!

7 Likes

I doubt they did that. They drank it, I suppose.

I once had a couchsurfing guest who got drunk on my wine while I was out. It turned out that she was an alcoholic and had not taken her medicine. This just means that I would move most of the alcohol out of sight if she would visit again.

1 Like

Those Sitters really should be kicked off THS. Why do they have multiple past profiles? How is that allowed?

Come on, THS! You can do better!

4 Likes

Would you really? I wouldn’t unless specifically told to drink the wine, but then only one bottle.

1 Like

I’ve had the same experience. I’ve done almost 50 sits and had HO’s who showed me their liquor cabinet and said help yourself to HO’s who offered only their spices. Even when liquor is offered you are still a guest in their home and need to be respectful. That said I always bring my own booze even if it’s offered I don’t drink my host’s liquor.

2 Likes

Depends on the length of the sit, but I may drink more than one bottle. Also when the offer is not very specific. On one sit, the owner had made a video, showing the fridge, the freezer, the cupboard with snacks and the stash of wines. Intention was clear enough and I thought that it was good manners to accept.

Well, it really doesn’t have to be every last thing. But a simple list of house rules should be written in the welcome guide. And since it is clear you don’t want your alcohol consumed, then just write it down - then no misunderstandings around it in the future.

on second thought nothing to say but can’t delete.

2 Likes

We’re currently enjoying a lovely sit of 3 weeks duration. The PPs graciously left us 2 bottles of wine. There’s a full wine chiller here and more in the food fridge, which we won’t touch because it’s not for us. We don’t need to be told not to touch the alcohol because we wouldnt dream of doing so.

Any sitter who plays the "You didn’t explicitly state it hasn’t for me’ card is having a laugh.

16 Likes

I’m in total agreement with @Maggie8K and can’t believe some PPs feel the need to specify this in the WG! In fact, I think we’d feel rather insulted if we were instructed - whether verbally or in writing - not to drink the alcohol, the implication being that we might otherwise have considered it!

5 Likes

We sit for some lovely people who always leave us wine, beer & a few spirits. They say “help yourself” and then lock away all their super smart wine and malt whiskies in a different fridge on a different floor so the boundaries are clear. We avail properly of the fab offer over our three or four weeks there & know we are lucky sitters. (BTW they have three full on pooches to care for so they are also lucky HOs). Sadly @Bickerley it sounds like your guys were total chancers. As you say if they had drunk stuff through miscommunication they’d then have just fessed up & apologised. Glad you’re getting some support. #clearcommsaseeverpeeps

4 Likes

Fully agree

1 Like

They certainly drunk atleast mulled wine (in june?!) while in my home as it was spilt all over the place and they left half the bottle back in the cabinet. Some empties were in the recycling. Some however including bottles of prosecco from the fridge there was no sign of, either full or empty, so yes I assume they were taken and ultimately I would say that is stealing. I think it is nice for you to see things differently though.

@Bickerley
Don’t let this experience put you off, I’m pretty sure those sitters you chose are in the minority. Its not something we as sitters would ever do.
I can’t believe there are some on this thread that are actually defending those actions!
It’s down to common sense and ethics, unfortunately both are becoming rarer by the day.
Im sure you will have better luck with your next sitters.

6 Likes

@Bickerley sorry that you had this experience. It’s not the norm or THS would have been out of business along time ago .

In relation to this specific sitter you can raise a member dispute ( be sure to title your e-mail with this heading and not just complaint ) you might not be able to prove about the wine But if you have photos of the your countertops etc when you got home you can include that .

If this is by text then this can be “evidence “ and the your main focus of the dispute - third parties are not permitted unless the host has given permission ( which I assume you didn’t)

Sitter third party policy

A sitter must not allow any third parties to attend the sit or enter a pet parent’s property without their consent prior to arranging the sit……

Sitters must remember that they are staying in a pet parent’s home and be respectful to not allow unauthorised third parties be present on the sit unless they says it is okay to do so. “

You can also
Include all the information about having had accounts previously with THS ( presumably with negative reviews ) - submit screenshots etc .

With regard to reassurance that future sitters will not behave in this way you can read their previous reviews to remind yourself of why you choose them in the first place . They may also have had some recent reviews added since you confirmed the sit . If you have already confirmed sitters that don’t have any reviews, get back in touch and have a video call with them to reassure yourself and you can discuss in a friendly way the third party policy ( no guests ) etc .

2 Likes

Is it true that if you fill an empty whisky bottle with cold tea, you can’t tell the difference?

( asking for a friend :woozy_face:)

9 Likes

actually there are worse things about the same colour as whisky…

5 Likes

All my Silent Pool Gin bottles have fairy lights in them.

2 Likes