Sitters: time-savers?

Yup, and not just in the U.S. Many homes in various countries have at least a washer, if not a dryer as well. Some have those combo washer/dryers, which rarely work well. It takes forever to dry stuff in those.

I’d wash the sheets anywhere there was a washing machine. And depending on the country, some places also have launderettes where you can pay for washing, drying and folding, or you do it yourself by feeding coins in.

Whether I’m sitting or a guest, I try to avoid having my hosts clean up after me.

3 Likes

We’ve done five Swiss🇨🇭house sits in Zurich, Zug, Oberägeri, Oberrredien & Basel and all had washing machines in them or in the apartment building. We also washed and remade the beds in all of them before the HO came back from their trip @MagdaB as that was what was asked of us. It’s bad form to leave a dirty bed especially as they were all the master bedrooms.

1 Like

A two-fer, LOL.

@MagdaB , you should discuss this with the pet owner beforehand. Some want you to wash the sheets and remake the bed, some want you to wash the sheets and not remake the bed, some just want you to strip the bed, and some want you to leave the linens. As the others have said, a considerate sitter will make sure the home is welcoming and ready for owners who may have had a long and arduous trip home. A bed made with clean linens is often very much appreciated.

3 Likes

A considerate host does not demand guests to prepare a clean bed for them. Sure, there are many things that might be much appreciated after a long and arduous journey (a hot bath ready to jump into, a good dinner on the table, etc etc) but sitters are not butlers.

Sitters are moving out, need to be packing, get a last walk with the dog, need to catch a train or a flight.

Sitters are guests that did the host a big favour by taking care of their pet. Why demand more than what one would expect of family or of friends or of couchsurfers?

1 Like

I’ve not had such demands from HOs, at least not yet. This is the sort of thing I’ve done for decades, as a guest in the homes of friends and family. I try to avoid having others clean up after me.

1 Like

Plenty of HOs will leave a clean bed and expect the same on their return @pietkuip. Much like the barter system of here’s a free house with no bills and please look after my pets in exchange for that. It’s not about being a butler, it’s about being considerate. If you’re looking for 5 star :star: reviews then clean beds come into that time and time again.

3 Likes

I had an owner ask me to wash and dry my bedding and remake the bed for her. The remaking was obvious and I would have done it anyway, because it was her bedroom.

I washed my bedding and put it in the dryer but it wasn’t dry by the time I left. I never usually use dryers for environmental reasons, so I didn’t know how long the machine would take. I explained this to the owner and she didn’t complain, but never gave me a review. She seemed a bit of a princess to be honest.

I totally get remaking the bed. I’d never have someone come home to a dirty or unmade bed. But washing AND drying my things when I was leaving and had to sleep in the same bed seemed unnecessarily demanding. I’m still glad I did the sit though because I met a super gorgeous cat there.

Sitters have a right to be comfortable too. I don’t want to be a 5 star cleaner and sevant on top of excellent pet care. Of course I clean up after myself and often leave food for the hosts too. But I’m not a maid.

Exactly. Presumably, the HO would have an extra set of bedclothes. And then they can make their bed the way they want it.

Totally fair @andrealovesanimals - I get it. Also dryers are a fire hazard so definitely wise to not leave it running whilst the house is empty. All about balance :+1:t3:

Yes, kind of barter. I am also considerate in a hotel room or in an airbnb (trash in the trash can, try not to make a mess), but I am not expected to do the laundry.

Vacation rentals may expect guests to clean up in preparation for the next guest: do the vacuuming, clean the kitchen, etc. That is the kind of level that is reasonable, I think.