Sheets and towels

What are your thoughts on sitters washing sheets and towels and making the bed before they leave? We have had over 20 sitters in our home since we joined THS and many have washed and replaced sheets and towels, but it seems lately that most are not doing so.

Does anyone put this info in their guidelines? I hate coming home to find the bed not made or sheets left on the floor.

6 Likes

In the past we would always have waited for the HO to return, for a handover, so giving us loads of time to wash, dry etc.
This summer we haven’t seen a single HO on their return, which I miss, however I have always washed the linen and remade the bed if possible, even if I knew it was the spare room, I’d still wash the linen, unless it’s pouring with rain and there is no dryer in which case I’d ask as they might come back from their trip with clothes that take priority over spare linens

6 Likes

We’ve always done it if we have had time. But if the homeowners were coming home early in the morning, we haven’t always had a chance to. In that case, I strip the bed and put the sheets on/near the washer. I don’t put them in the washer, because they may want to do their own laundry first when they return from a trip. (I agree about the issue of there often not being a “tumble dryer” in the UK and Europe. I don’t want to leave wet sheets in the washer if I can’t line dry them.)

10 Likes

I’ve been lucky, always had clean home with clean linens and that is exactly how I turn back the homes, sometimes cleaner as I’m meticulous. As a HO, I do ask that the linens/towels be washed and bed made unless they have an early flight; then at least get them in the wash and can leave in the dryer. As a HS, I’ve gotten up a few times at 4 a.m. to get everything done before I head out on the last day.

4 Likes

My goal is to always leave the home with the bedding and towels washed and the bed made. However, departure time makes a big difference. If the homeowner is coming back late enough that I can get that done, and I can leave the same day, then I take care of it. However, if I have to stay the night they return, at their request, then I’m not able to get it done. However, I will wash all towels etc. so that only what I use that morning is dirty. The sit I’m on now has asked me to stay over the night she returns. As I have my vehicle, I asked for the bed size so that I could bring my own bedding so that I could strip the bed and leave it for her to make after me. She thanked me but said she would be happy to do the laundry. I think as long as there’s communication, all will be fine. I’ve seen sits posted where they show their expectations about the bedding and I don’t take offence. Better that I know their expectations.

11 Likes

I almost always wash sheets and towels, sometimes have time to put them in the dryer, but sometimes not. I don’t remake the bed. A NY city sit where the washer and dryer were community I did not but I was also leaving at 6 am and the host and I talked about that before she left.

6 Likes

I agree with Snowbird. Departure time makes a big difference whether it’s practically possible and makes sense to do so or not. I also always ask the house owners what they would like me to do with the bed lines. (I always bring my towels and bath mat to save the HO extra washing.) Based on my experience, most of the owners are genuinely happy for me just strip the bed down and leave on the side of the bed or do nothing and leave it for them to deal with it themselves. Discussing and agreeing in advance should leave no one disappointed. To know their expectations, as Snowbird says.

8 Likes

I guess it also really depends what country you’re in too!

4 Likes

We usually wash the bedding and towel and hang them in the lines outside (or put it in the dryer and leave it to turn).
In case of an early leaving, we put needing and towels all together in the laundry room, ready to be wash.
I never make the bed back because I don’t know if the bed will be used after us (usually we sleep in the guest room).
I’d never thought it could be a problem to put the bedding and towel in the hanging line outside or in the dryer before leaving. But now I read OH may come back with priority clothes to wash, I think now I will ask them what to do… :thinking: :thinking:

4 Likes

I’ve never thought about washing sheets and towels but I’ve never been asked to, apart from a US sit. Instead, in the UK, I strip the bed of the linen and leave that and used towels near the washing machine.

3 Likes

I always wash sheets and towels and remake the bed. Especially if I’m sleeping in the homeowner’s bedroom, the last thing anyone wants to do when they get home from a long trip is laundry so I like the idea of them feeling grateful and relieved when they see the room. On the one occasion that the HO returned early in the day and I didn’t have enough time to remake the bed, I washed the sheets, then left them in the dryer and let HO know.

However… if I had a 6 am departure, it would be stripping the bed and putting everything beside the washer - I’m sorry but I am barely human at 6 am at the best of times, I’m not getting up at 4 am to do laundry :rofl:

7 Likes

That makes total sense to me. I was just curious as in the past all my sitters were doing the sheets and towels, but now it doesn’t seem so much. I’m lucky if they even take them off the bed. LOL

1 Like

Time of departure time constraints considered, we almost always wash the bed linen and remake the bed, as well as wash the towels. If we are local, we take our own bed linen and towels. On our sit this past weekend, we couldn’t take bed linen as the HO had a King sized bed and we didn’t have linen Ito fit. We washed and remade the bed for their return.

It seems to me that there are a lot of new sitters and HOs who are learning the ropes of the THS community. Managing expectations and communication is key.

5 Likes

@Lindsay @long1016 @PetSitterBug …

We travel with two kingsize WHITE (it’s a thing of mine) flat sheets and pillow cases. If we are fortunate enough to have a bed each (my preference) I fold the sheet in half and have a top and a bottom sheet, no laundry to do on the day of departure.

If none of the above is possible … we always launder sheets and remake beds, unless we asked not to, which has never happened.

4 Likes

Probably goes without saying and may be obvious, but don’t leave the house with the dryer running as it is a fire risk.

7 Likes

As we’re literally driving home from a pet sit the OH as just messaged to ask if the bedding & towels are clean or need washing. Her travel day home hadn’t been the best, on different flights to her family, time difference & got to head back the airport later for her family.
I am so chuffed I could say those jobs are done & you can relax for a little. Another successful pet sit complete!

8 Likes

As most everyone else has said, we also always wash the linen. Even when a homeowner says it’s not necessary, we do anyway. Who wants to return to laundry and a bed to make?! :wink:

We would also add that if this is (understandably) important to you, then simply ask your sitters to kindly do so when you’re showing them around. We wouldn’t find that off-putting at all!

6 Likes

Thank you for your advise.
Yes I know about this risk. But I have notice once the program is finished, some dryers have a special “waiting to be unload” program that turns every then and now (every 20 mn, 1/2 h ?) : this is what I leave on.
And we usually leave when we’ve been told OH are few hours to arrive.
I hope this is OK.
I’ve never been told not to do so…
But this is an interesting topic.
I presume every body does as they would like guest do in their own home ?

I always try to wash bed linen and towels but sometimes it is very difficult if the family are coming home early in the day or we are leaving early. It’s good to leave the washing machine empty as dirty holiday clothes may take priority of spare bedroom sheets.
If we are using one of the families bedrooms it’s good to ask where there are a change so all family beds are made up for their return.

2 Likes

Like most others we’ve always laundered the sheets and towels where time permits, and explicitly explain why we haven’t if on the very rare occasions we were unable to.

This has evolved for us over past 3 years, going from mainly international sits to domestic sits. Now that we have a base again, we take our bed linen, duvet, pillows and towels with us which does take that pressure off the last day, and has made it more relaxing.

Of course this won’t be possible when we house sit overseas again. We’ve had a few sits in Mexico and central Amercia where we were told not to worry as the cleaner would sort, in which case we do still always strip the beds. But, I think, like @ScrewTheAverage, if there’s something that’s important to you, mention it, we wouldn’t be offended, we love as much clarity and clear communication as possible :slight_smile:

3 Likes