The need to travel

I’m Scottish, born and bred. My friends and family used to say if I cut myself I would bleed tartan! Scottish people are travellers. Maybe it’s because we are surrounded by sea (sailors/fishermen) or maybe it was necessity but we are spread all over the world. I did not get the chance to travel when I was young. I was 45 before I got my first passport but I sure have made up for it now.

Do you think the need to travel is inborn or just curiosity?
Do some nationalities travel more than others?
What age were you when you applied for your first passport?

4 Likes

I’m Irish and I honestly think part gypsy and was born to travel! I emigrated from Dublin to Canada with my parents when I was 5 and we left all our relatives behind. Our first trip back to Ireland was when I was 13 and my first trip back on my own I was 25. That’s when I knew I really wanted to travel and two years later I went on a holiday on my own and met my husband from England who was on his own and we’ve continued to travel. I think travelling is definitely inborn but not sure if some nationalities travel more than others.

5 Likes

Hi Annette … you might find this article interesting

2 Likes

very interesting article. Thanks!

Love this topic :smiley:
One of my aunts says ive got gypsy blood in me, moving & travelling around the world. However out of my blood relatives 11 aunts/uncles & 30 odd cousins i’m the only one who does this :joy:
My older sister never got the travel bug. I moved to the other side of the world on my own when i was 18, albeit back to the UK were I was born. Sometimes I think wow how did my parents let me do that at such a young age!
I love how we all travel differently, Some UK people go to Spain/beach for a week and don’t explore. They travel each year but its a different type of travelling, sun seekers.
Young Aussies love a gap year or a 20 countries in 7 days contiki trip :rofl:
People love a bargain, travel to a close/cheapish destination. Americans to Mexico, Aussies to Bali & Brits to Spain

2 Likes

Absolutely am thrilled that you presented this very relevant topic and questions. I have actually studied this extensively.
Do you think the need to travel is inborn or just curiosity?
It is both. Like the chicken and the egg, which came first?
We are all born curious, look at any two year old. It is in our nature to want to see and explore. What happens is that some of us have tamed our curiosity for a whole lot of reasons I won’t get in to.

Do some nationalities travel more than others?
Absolutely.
Some cultures, conditions and environments are more open to this curiosity, therefore more adventurous or as some may say willing to take more risks because they simply have to know (go). They want to know and have new experiences, see things first hand, make new discoveries, feel, touch, taste, smell…

What age were you when you applied for your first passport?
My environment was a very closed, tight fisted one. There were so many things that were deemed unacceptable and “was not allowed” or shouldn’t do.
I was that rebel. The black sheep, the fruitloop in the cheerios. I managed to escape incrementally over the years. It was challenging but so glad I did.
I got my first passport at 42 in 1997.
I am just getting started. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Hi there
Can you recommend any books or articles you found interesting on these topics? Travel and why we do it has always fascinated me.

1 Like

With gusto. I will mssg you.

My girlfriend and I started travelling in 2015 for her 50th birthday; two weeks in French Polynesia. We never really felt the need to travel before being very happy living in our home in the mountains north of Quebec City. I didn’t even see the appeal of sea and sun before choosing that destination (I don’t swim) but boy was I wrong. Since then it’s been the island of St-Lucia, Jamaica, Mexico, New-Zealand, Panama and we are currently in Costa Rica. We can’t imagine our lives without travel now which is great as we are planning our retirement. Hopefully in Central America to get away from the cold and snow.

3 Likes

How wonderful! Do you swim now?
I learned how to swim at 62 even though I have lived in homes with pools, beachfront in the Caribbean. I just never thought I could and then I did. :laughing:

3 Likes

I agree that for many of us, it’s something we discover about ourselves at a young age. I’ve always been extremely fascinated about other cultures and lifestyles, as well as the history of other countries. I gave birth to our firstborn overseas, and all of my grandchildren have had their first passport before they were each a year old. Our children have carried on the family tradition of enjoying as much travel as possible. I do come by this all naturally, as my grandparents emigrated from Sicily in 1912, so it’s definitely in my blood.

2 Likes

I’ve had a passport practically since birth and have travelled extensively throughout my life. I’m now 58! My mother was Dutch & my father a Brit. I was born in the UK. My father travelled abroad for the first time- to Holland to marry my mum- but my mum was already a seasoned traveller. She and her 3 brothers and sisters all settled in different countries and my own two sisters live in Canada & Australia. My German hubby and I met in India, have no fixed abode at all and are true nomads! I definitely got my travel bug from my mums’ side and thanks to her I also recently acquired Dutch Citizenship (& have dual nationality) so I’m no longer affected by Brexit related travel restrictions. Both my husband I can’t really imagine settling anywhere at the moment- we just love the freedom too much and just ‘go with the flow’! Housesitting has been a great addition to our travel repertoir as we’ve often stayed in places far grander and more luxurious that we could afford and with a few nice pets to boot- but with none of the full-time responsibility!! Its also brought us to interesting places where accomodation is often expensive- e.g a 3 week Christmas Sit in Singapore! I can’t imagine ever not wanting to travel! :-))

2 Likes

Ah there is being able to swim and being able to swim!

I was a competitive swimmer in my youth. In and out of the pool everyday, length after length, split times, endurance. You name it I did it. But once I started sea swimming, I was lost. Currents, tides, waves. Yuk. The extra buoyancy that the salt water gives tended to hinder me. I used to have to take a swim float in with me. Now, I’m slightly better but still rather nervous. I snorkel quite well and have been scuba diving in occasions but never felt the need to get a certificate.
There is such a difference between pool swimming and sea swimming.

2 Likes

Massive floater here! Can’t dive at all, not even for gold :joy:

My need to travel was born out of necessity, I grew up in a small town with one road in and one road out, guess which one I chose … :rofl:

4 Likes

My experience as well. 200 residents and everyone knew you, your parents, your grandparents, your aunts and uncles…… There was no where to hide.

2 Likes

I was 45 when I went to Cyprus for the first time it’s was there hottest summer in 7years I loved it took me about three days to acclimatise but love the sunshine and the heat.

2 Likes

Interesting and surprising! Thanks for sharing Angela.

1 Like

It’s turned into more of a phobia over the years; I can’t say why exactly. Although I try not to let it prevent me from experiencing things like parasailing, catamaran excursions and relaxing with a float in the shallow waters of the Caribbean where there aren’t big waves. I even went as far as going to Rio Secreto in the region of Riviera Maya in Mexico. Although I must say that one was pushing the envelope a bit as I’m also claustrophobic and there was the need to swim maybe 100 feet in the underground river (we had safely vests on). My girlfriend sort of swam for me and basically pulled me behind her as I couldn’t find the right moves to progress by myself. The pictures the guide took during the 90 minutes experience really paint quite a picture : I went from a great relaxed smile when we entered the caves to a bit of a forced smile at midpoint to a sort of panicked look halfway through the swim part. Great memories and not too many nightmares. :joy:

1 Like

What a good topic. I’m just south of the border & love Scotland too, so much variety in one country!.
For me travelling is the biggest thing I’ve always wanted to do. So I know in me it’s inborn.
As a child I was fascinated in different places, countries & cultures & I asked for my own passport as my 16th birthday present.
Interestingly since covid & not having the freedom to go abroad I’ve really enjoyed finding places in the UK I’d never have got the chance to.
I also think as I age I appreciate & absorb more where I go.
It’s good we can all enjoy, no matter what age.

5 Likes