"Up with the lark" early start pet sitting

When I worked full time, I was up at 6:30 (which killed me for 25 years) and to bed around 10, often closer to 11. Once I retired, I soon adapted to life without an alarm clock and naturally wake up around 8. TBH, I often wake up way before 8, but have my earbuds in and listening to morning radio and doze/sleep until 8ish.

1 Like

I WISH i could sleep that late. Occasionally I’m lucky and I fall back asleep, but that’s pretty rare.

1 Like

My husband had to get up at 6 this morning so I got up with him until he left at 6:30. Went back to bed and put on an audiobook and fell right back to sleep. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

10pm is my bedtime but if there is a good film on or interesting visitors it could be well into the wee sma hours.

2 Likes

I get up at 5 am (or a little earlier) to run most mornings. I try to have lights out by 9.30 the night before. That doesn’t always happen - and I need a lot of sleep - so sometimes there is a nap during the day!

2 Likes

As someone who’s suffered with insomnia i fully agree that you can get the best sleep after 630!
Ive gone back to bed at that time & slept like a log.

2 Likes

Same here.
Even if I often wake up between 5 and 6, I go back to sleep for at least 3 more hours. I usually don’t go to bed before 1 AM, sometimes even later.

2 Likes

@Düsenzofe – Once again proving, “you’re my people”!!! :two_hearts:

There’s a gym here that had a slogan, “I’ll rest when I’m dead” and I feel that, but not for exercising, just for having fun and living life! :laughing:

1 Like

Good topic! I’m definitely not an early riser and hate to rush out in the morning. I did a house sit in San Francisco many years ago in the Financial District where the dog had to be walked early and I basically threw my hoodie on over sweat pants and felt I must have looked a fright walking down the street where all these people in business suits walked by! Have done a few house sits in condos in a city where the dogs have been trained to do their business out on the balcony - love those kind of dogs/sits. I definitely scroll by sits where early risers are needed.

4 Likes

OH! I can relate! You just made me remember a sit I had in a high-rise in Washington, DC. I threw on my clothes and was out early to walk the pupkins. Like you, I hid my face under my hood as I passed all the well-dressed business people on their way to work!

Usually sometime between 8-9 pm…. Unless there’s something going on or I f my husband is away when sometimes I don’t go to bed until 10 ish…. I am normally awake between 3-4am and go out for my dog walk at 5😁

1 Like

This just reminded me - my very first sit, 2 little dogs woke between 5 and 5:30, needed letting out and breakfast! I got into the routine v quickly and was back in bed within a few minutes.
At a recent sit in Australia - daylight savings time changed ……. Those cats weren’t having any of that they just started complaining about breakfast an hour earlier ( on the clock). I’m now quite practiced in fumbling about with food and climbing back into bed!

6 Likes

I’ve got a couple of gorgeous pugs boarding with me at the moment who start barking at me to get up as soon as the sun comes up! I’m like “Whyyyy? None of the other dogs want to get up early!” They go home Monday, I won’t miss the early starts but I will miss them! :laughing:

2 Likes

@ Kootenaigirl When I had my dog Rocko, I used to take him out first thing in the morning between 5:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. I live in Florida, and as you mention, “trying to beat the heat”, but also, I like getting up early to begin my day. If I lay in bed for most of the morning, I feel like the day has passed me by.

My first pet sit was with a Labrador Retriever. I asked the homeowner (HO) what time the dog went out in the morning. The HO stated that “whenever he (the HO) got up at around 9 a.m. and that the dog was lazy.” Well, when I got up at approximately 5:30 a.m., the dog was up with me and ready to go out, exhibited all types of energy, and was always ready for play time at any time. Go figure…

1 Like

I’m currently looking after 3 cats for a week. After the first night of cats running round the apartment chasing each other in the middle of the night, I mentioned it to the owner. She sheepishly admitted that she normally gets up at 2am to feed them in an attempt to stop them from being naughty. This was NOT mentioned in the pet sitting profile!

2 Likes

sounds like they have her well trained.

3 Likes

@PawsomePetsitters I just finished my first sit where there was an automated food dispenser. It was set for 3 a.m. and on a different floor from the bedrooms. The first night I woke up, hearing the motor sound and the cat trotting downstairs. Within a couple of nights, I vaguely heard it, but nothing more, and I slept well. It sounds like your homeowner should consider this investment, for the sake of her own health. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

They don’t, and it’s a huge problem. It starts when someone begins working from home, or stops working altogether, and then fills her days by creating tasks. But then your pets and household come to rely on that routine, and then if she ever goes out for 12 hours, her husband has to take a half-day off work just to keep things afloat.

Don’t ask how I know this :frowning:

2 Likes

I sat a Australian Terrier and if you are not familiar with the breed they are a) adorable (like all dogs) and b) can spring 4+ feet in the air from a sitting position … like a kangaroo … Joey (naturally) would start springing by the side of the bed at 5.00 am, alarm clock style.

It’s well know among my circle that I’m a night owl, 1, 2, 3 am I’ll be happily be working away … early mornings? Not so much, although this little “terrier” got my attention and had me “up with the lark” for three weeks.

Did he convert me? … Err No. :dog: :rofl: :canada:

1 Like

I actually wake up before the doggo I’m watching. I always wake at about 6 am (thanks bladder!). Then, with luck, I go back to sleep. On the (very) off chance that I fall into a deep sleep and oversleep, when I’m up at 6 I go open the back door so he can go in and out as he pleases. He always looks at me like I’m nuts from his spot on the chair. Though this morning I found him cuddled up on my blanket on the couch. Cheeky bugger.

But he doesn’t eat early. We do his walk at 9 am and he eats after that and he won’t eat before. My car battery died today so we were delayed in going on the walk and I tried to feed him and he was having none of it. He ate when we got home at around 11 am.

1 Like