Video Suggestions for TrustedHousesitters

Hello Everyone!

We’ve been housesitting full-time for 2 years now and we are planning to create some video content about our wonderful experience. We want to get some suggestions on what information would you like to know that would be helpful for you and this community?

Thanks,
Marco and Fran

I’ve thought about this since I first saw your post @maptheunknown Did you mean videos for the THS community, such as to help new sitters?
If you meant more of an instructional travelogue, although I can summon lots of enthusiasm for enjoying your adventures & seeing the pets you meet, I can’t think of what could be usefully learnt from videos :thinking:, as opposed to blogs & this forum’s exchange of ideas & Websites such as those of other members like @ScrewTheAverage. You would have a good following on YouTube just broadcasting your travels.
Don’t be disheartened by my lone opinion though :wink:

2 Likes

@Saltrams Thank you for tagging us in this conversation :grinning:

@maptheunknown We suggest creating content that solves a problem you have or have had.

This is what we’ve done in general with our website. We’re both detail orientated people (IT consultant and project manager) so when traveling we found that the city guides we found online were usually lacking in detail and we still spent hours putting together a map and itinerary with all of the information we wanted (history, hours, cost, location, etc.). It made sense to us to publish this information for other travelers like us in our own city guides.

We did the same with house sitting. When we first looked into house sitting (2014/2015) the information we found was pretty surface level and definitely full of headlines that promised glamour and free accommodation. As most of us on this forum know, that’s not a full/transparent perspective. House sitting comes with responsibility, dedication, and hard work.

Our problem was that we wanted to know what house sitting was, would we be good at it, how to apply for a sit, how to find a good sit, and how to get good reviews/do a good job.

From what we found online, even the most comprehensive articles and guides on house sitting didn’t tell us the honest details we needed to know. So, we created our own ‘Ultimate House Sitting Guide’. It’s a 6-part series that covers everything we just mentioned, plus our own experiences, funny stories, and lessons learned. It’s honest and doesn’t sugar coat everything, because house sitting isn’t necessarily for everyone.

The first step to good content is creating something on a topic you’re familiar with and solving a problem. So, what problem do you have or did have that you could help others by solving or giving an answer to?

Next step would be where are you hosting the video content? Note a huge surprise, but we think YouTube is becoming the search engine of video content the way Google became the search engine of websites. If you want your videos to be found, you have to do more than just create quality content, be sure to do a bit of research on SEO and tagging for them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

See; I knew someone would have a better answer!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Really appreciate it!

2 Likes

I’m not sure. I was able to vote then it says I have 3 votes left. I think there’s a limit per day or per week but that might be a question for @Angela_L

Thanks for the suggestion. That’s an interesting idea. Our goal is to make the video public like what @ScrewTheAverage suggested so the video can help anyone even those people that are not part of the TrustedHousesitters community yet. We hope to answer some of their questions and doubts because we probably went through some similar situations when housesitting.

2 Likes

Another reason I posted in this community is to get some insights from Home Owners and not just the house sitters. We would like to get some suggestions from the home owners on what wold help them.

1 Like

Hi @maptheunknown there are different voting permissions each Forum tester has a limit of 4 votes … I will verify over what period

1 Like

Great contribution… love it when people share their expertise willing. Thank you ‘MaptheUnknown’! :star2:

1 Like