What do you expect sitters to do w/sheets?

When I stay with other people I always ask.

1 Like

Right. I mean in the scheme of things I recognize it’s not a big deal for me to dry & fold the laundry :rofl: But yes in the moment it was bugging me. Posting here has helped reset my perspective.

7 Likes

Some folks — including hosts — are energy conscious. They avoid doing partial loads or otherwise save up loads to do at certain hours, which often are cheaper during low-demand periods.

Again, the more specific you are about what you want done with bedding or towels, the more likely you’ll get what you want.

You still sound disgruntled and, the key thing is, you didn’t say what you wanted, which left your sitter to do as they decided.

6 Likes

I always wash dry and fold sheets and towels unless there’s no facilities or dryer, but that has only been the case once and I managed to dry everything on the radiator.

However I recently left the house as I normally do, everything washed dried and neatly folded, along with fresh cold brew and vegan creamer which the owners liked and I washed their car and filled up the gas tank. I still got a bad review (the first ever out of many 5 stars :pleading_face:)

Sitters may be fickle but so can homeowners :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Different people have different expectations. I actually have a designated set of nice guest sheets. I also wash my blankets, and sometimes my mattress cover before a sit. I don’t have a lot of extra sheet sets. The laundry facilities in my building are shared, in the basement, and use a laundry card. There are some advantages to this as there are some large machines so washing blankets isn’t an issue.

Because of this set up, and my preferences, I ask sitters to strip the bed and leave sheets, blankets, and used towels etc in a pile on the floor by the bed, so I can scoop it up and take it downstairs the next day. I wouldn’t expect them to go up and down to do a wash, although I leave money on the card and tell them to feel free to do a personal load on me.

What my sitters don’t see is that the morning of the sit I strip my bed and put the sheets and blankets in my closet. Then I make the bed up fresh for them. When I come home to a stripped bed, I open the closet, put the somewhat used sheets back on or look for a clean set in my closet and make the bed. I deal with the laundry as soon as I get a chance. I wouldn’t expect a sitter to wash my sheets (and blankets) before they leave or to make the bed for me. It’s just too time consuming. I do want them to take a few minutes to strip the bed so it’s easier for me to gather the stuff and take it downstairs.

I sit too and on sits I’ve been in, the instructions have varied. Personally, I think asking sitters to actually launder sheets the last day of a sit, is asking a lot.

6 Likes

Only if you’ve clearly communicated that. I’ve had homeowners specifically tell me to leave everything and their cleaners will take care of it

I would give this 10 claps if I could!
Like many things here, just asking during the video chat or before the handoff and talking to each other like human beings will straighten this out.

2 Likes

I wasn’t asked, just did it because I had time :wink:

1 Like

I normally wash and dry sheets and remake the bed, if I am leaving late morning/early afternoon, which is most often the case. But if the homeowner is coming home early, or I need to leave earlier, I will let them know I won’t have time to do that and will ask if they would like me to strip the bed, or if there’s an alternate set of sheets I can use to remake the bed for them. When I have stayed in homes without a dryer, I have just stripped the bed and put the sheets in a laundry basket or on the washer/dryer. In these cases, the homeowner usually tells me what they want me to do. There was one homeowner who told me to just leave the beds as is, because even if I washed the sheets, she would rewash them! It felt strange to me to not even strip the bed, but I did as she requested.

I had a homeowner tell me to just leave the unmade bed and there was a reason – the cat would mess up the bare bed, claw the mattress cover, etc. Homeowners know their home and know what works for them.

3 Likes

To me, if you have a guest room, it’s better to make the bed before guests arrive, not to make the bed weeks or months ahead.

2 Likes

Doing laundry can the most time cosuming thing when leaving a sit. Different macines take different amounts of time. And if you dont plan well, you can get stuck sitting around waiting for the laundry or running out of time. I imagine if everything else in your home was acceptably clean, that this is what happened - they ran out of time. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Of course, if this happened with me, I’d send a note to the HO. But then again, it is so much work to clean, pack, take the pets on one last walk, get out of the house, and hit the road (trying to make a flight or navigate out of town) it is easy to forget. Just like the HO who is tired after a long trip, house sitters are a bit stressed getting organized, cleaning, and leaving.

I always wash the sheets and remake the bed (unless I’m asked to do otherwise). I find it surprising how many homeowners tell me that house sitters don’t do this. But we learn as we go.

3 Likes

This exactly! I always ask what they would like me to do, and also ask if they’re expecting guests in the near future in relation to bedding.

1 Like

How were your animals taken care of? Any major issues? Or the S/G just didn’t make the bed? If that’s it, it seems like such a minor thing in the big picture. You saved how much in pet sitting and all you had to do was wash bedding. Sounds like a win for you.

Perhaps take yourself step-by-step through the process of what a departure day is like for a S/G. How much there is to do in a few hours. And many S/G also work, which HO’s seem to want so the person will be with the animals as much as possible. I was getting up at 4a on departure days to get it all done. The top priorities are the animals and my job, but sleep is actually a necessity. So something had to get cut, and that was washing bedding and remaking the bed. I leave the home as clean as found and I can start the laundry or leave it for them, their choice.

I guess the HO’s can decide: do they want their animals to have great care and they get to have a worry free time away or do they want the bed remade. If it’s a dealbreaker for a HO, when they aren’t paying me and I’m a guest, then we have different ideas of what’s more important and the platform exchange concept. So far, I’m finding the HO’s are choosing their animals over remade beds.

6 Likes

As a homeowner, I have it stated in my Welcome Guide how I would like the sheets left at the sitters’ departure – beds stripped and left by the washer along with other used items like bath towels, kitchen towels, etc. I am thankful that they’ve taken good care of my pets and house and I don’t require them to do laundry as well. I don’t think it’s something that needs to be stated in your listing, but in your Welcome Guide is fine.
As a sitter, I always ask how the HO wants the sheets and dirty towels left (especially if it’s not already in the Welcome Guide) and I do what they ask. I must admit, I do love it when the homeowners ask that the beds just be left stripped, so that’s another reason that’s what I ask of my sitters when I’m on the other side as the homeowner.

5 Likes

We only ever accept housesits where there is a guest bed, so I guess not such an urgent task as owner has own bed to sleep in when returning. But I agree with others, you just may not have time to wash and dry the linens at the end of a sit. As a HO I would prefer to come back to DRY dirty linens that I can wash in my timescale, than WET clean ones hanging around the house getting in the way. Although, to be fair, I’m sitting in Australia at the minute where drying washing isn’t an issue - sheets dry in about 30 minutes - so plenty of time to get bed/towels washed and dried before we leave!

2 Likes

Yeah, everyone is telling me I needed to communicate clearly, which is definitely true. However, I did forget about it while I was busy on my trip and it would’ve been great if the sitters had just asked me. I could’ve told them there was a an extra set of sheets, and that they didn’t need to launder the ones they had used.

2 Likes

It is an option to mention your requirements in your listing or when discussing expectations with the sitter before confirming the sit. I always ask hosts if they want me to strip the bed, do the laundry, or even change to a clean sheet before I leave. Many hosts don’t mention these details until I ask them. I will do the general cleaning before I leave, but I prefer to know what the host’s expectations are. It’s not a big deal, but communicating upfront is better than complaining afterward.

I also prefer to wash the sheets and towels myself, and I always tell sitters. The issue I encountered is sitters basically fighting me about it, out of kindness. I guess it’s not the worst problem to have.

3 Likes

I think leaving wet sheets is pretty bad. It would seem to indicate a lack of common sense and/or empathy. I want things to be easy for my host when they return from their trip. I figure they probably already have clothing to wash and might not want to be dealing with things like sheets and towels right away. If they don’t have a dryer, and I’m not aware of alternate sheets, I ask.

2 Likes