What food , if any, should I leave for my sitter?

I don’t know what sitters expect in the way of food when they arrive? Mine will begin her sit during the day for one week. What do HOs usually provide?

5 Likes

@Sunny15 as a sitter I may not have any insight into what a HO may feel comfortable leaving in the way of food. I would suggest that you openly communicate with your sitter, if you wish to leave something, and simply ask their preferences. In our experience, we had coffee, teas and milk/cream and various food items left for us. Thanks for being such a conscientious homeowner…it’s much appreciated!

11 Likes

Of We usually leave plenty coffee, milk and sugar (we don’t drink tea so we skip that) and tell the sitters to help themselves to any dry goods and spices they find.
If there are any (unopened) items in the fridge like yogurt or cheese we tell them to use it or throw them away when they are expired.
I like to preare a basket with a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine, some sweets and crackers, a map of the surroundings and whatever comes my way in the weeks ahead, which I think is a nice little gift. This also depends on the season the sit takes place.
We also include a voucher for the best café in town, which happens to be in two minutes walking distance from our house.

There are no rules, however, and each HO is as different as the sitter who does the sit.

17 Likes

I am a sitter and also vegan. So before you leave perishables like milk, cheese etc, I would communicate with the sitter on their preferences. . We are only doing local sits for now and bring everything we need. It’s great to be offered a HO’s spices in case we ran out or don’t have them on hand. Also people these days have food allergies and dietary restrictions so IMHO communication is best.

13 Likes

Most home owners leave us bread and milk, some leave more, but I agree, you should ask your sitters what basic perishables they would actually use.

3 Likes

I’m lactose-intolerant so milk and cream just go bad.

Many people do not consume bread with gluten. I won’t eat white bread, for the most part. And some are vegetarian or vegan.

Some people cannot or do not drink alcohol (or no longer drink).

In short, if you want to leave a starter pack (which is a nice gesture), ask your sitter!

7 Likes

I think the basics should be fine, as listed above…coffee, tea, milk, sugar, etc. For my first listing I assumed the sitters would just use my supplies, they didn’t. So, next time I will be sure to let the sitter know that any of the staples or frozen or refrigerated goods are free game for them.

4 Likes

@Susan
@Katie
I always have a variety of “milk” in the house, from regular to almond, cashew, oat and lactose free milk, in case visitors come with any kind of intolerances. All of these don’t expire for months, so it’s perfectly fine with me if they aren’t consumed.

2 Likes

@ellenaj I am so often puzzled that, given our members are a community of travellers from diverse backgrounds and cultures, some people still assume there are food ‘basics’. I’m with @Katie and @Susan in that bread, milk, coffee, and sugar would go unused by me. I appreciate when homeowners explain what they have left and why, particularly in the way of perishables. I also like to clarify with homeowners what I am allowed to use, but I try to make sure I am respectful and use as little as possible, and replace when possible and appropriate.

9 Likes

@ellenaj FYI your listing is not showing. Clicking on it brings me to my own listing.

@ellenaj (@Katie) JFI - I have corrected the link for your on your forum profile. You should now see your listing :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are so many allergies and food preferences I wouldn’t bother leaving anything specific. I always appreciate some milk of any description but I eat almost anything. Don’t throw out chilled things but tell your sitter they are there. If they want to eat them good. If they don’t let them throw them out.

1 Like

There’s no need to leave anything, in our opinion (although we know that especially in the UK this is very popular). We usually use up any veggies / fruits left behind (if the HO suggested this to us). It’s also common for HOs to suggest that we can use any supplies, but we mostly try to avoid that since you never know what the HO means exactly.

2 Likes

I try not to use any of the HO food, even if offered. I have, on occasion used a little spice, sugar, cooking oil or butter. If I use more than a very small amount of butter, I replace it. I don’t expect anything from the HO.

I do think HO should have regular, unflavored coffee and various types of tea on hand for their sitters even if they don’t drink it themselves. If they’re not coffee drinkers, they should buy an inexpensive coffee maker of some type for their sitters to use. Just as you might offer these to visitors, having them for your sitters is a very considerate gesture. I really miss these when they’re not available (I drink both coffee and tea) and am so appreciative when they are!

I will mention, that my current HO left me a bottle of Proseco and a box of delicious chocolates. I haven’t gotten around to drinking the liquor but I am thrilled with the chocolates. This was so thoughtful!

8 Likes

Same. No milk, cheese or eggs (even if I’m looking after layers) for me, thanks!

2 Likes

How thoughtful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m mostly self-sufficient, but I’d appreciate anything left for me… Just make it known what’s “up for grabs” from your pantry, or what is left just for me.

I recently did a sit where I was making myself some dinner, and spilled my own purchased canned tomatoes on the counter. I took a can from the stash of several in the pantry and left $2 on the shelf. (I wouldn’t have done this if it was the last can, I’d have made the effort to replace it)

6 Likes

As sitters we do not expect the owner to provide us with any food. We have had owners invite us to a welcome, or thank-you dinner. Sometimes a welcome basket has been left for us and that is fun. Owners have told us to help ourselves to anything we find. We bring our own food so if there is a lot left for us, many times we do not use it. We have had to throw away perishables. It is best if you communicate in advance.

2 Likes

Thanks, I thought I’d just ask the question! Am amazed by how many sitters have specific dietary needs. Perhaps this should be indicated on their listing? It would help to know.
I provided my sitter with a very detailed welcome pack (for which she was very grateful as some previous HOs had not done one at all. I didn’t think to ask my sitter about dietary needs nor did she mention any when we spoke.

2 Likes

I’m often in others’ homes as the chef in charge of managing/providing food., I have a ton of experience trying to accommodate several restrictions at the same time. It’s rough!

I can drive yourself batty if i try to please all of the people attending with a single menu… But you’re extending a great kindness to just 1 or 2! So just ask, or have a stash of long shelf life food they choose from.

Honestly, feeding US isn’t TECHNICALLY your responsibility, but if your home is remote and the sitter doesn’t have a car, the time they must spend to get provisions isn’t time spent caring for your pets.

I’m trying to think of what someone would do here at my place: no delivery services for restaurants (or anything), 6 miles to the gas station, 15+ miles to a supermarket. If the person visiting couldn’t drive, it would be a problem!!

5 Likes

I know that most sitters don’t expect to be fed, regardless of where the house is located. I just tell them they MAY use any dry goods and spices, not that they HAVE TO.

The same applies to the welcome basket, which I am quite pragmatic about:
What I leave is a gift, period.
If a sitter doesn’t want it, fine.
If they don’t drink wine, don’t open the bottle! I won’t be offended, because I will drink it myself when I get back.
It’s nothing more than a gesture and I don’t ask for specifics beforehand.

That’s why my husband and me agreed not to give each other anymore Christmas presents, because it’s ridiculous to ask what the other person would like. I either have an idea or I don’t, but I don’t want to ask or be asked.

16 Likes