What’s your top tip for new house sitters?

Yes please. You can keep the other one :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Ben, welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters … you have opened a conversation and already getting some good advice. Your profile and application is where it all begins as @anon36831737 says, it’s worth having a member of the team look at your profile as often a few tweaks here and there can make a difference … if you DM me your profile link I will be more than happy to take a look, as well as your applications, which needs to be personalized also the sits you have been applying for … the whole combination is important.

When I first started it took over six weeks and many applications before I was successful and even now with all of the experience I have I’m still not successful with some applications, it’s about making a connection and being the right fit for the rit sit.

When possible starting locally is the way to build up reviews. If you can be flexible and accommodate last minute sits, offer to do a pre sit visit … there are a number of ways of increasing your chances of success.

You’ll find really helpful articles on the website blog but the best place for help is here, on the forum, from our members who have a wealth of knowledge and experience .

Enjoy connecting and once again, welcome.

Angela and the Team

3 Likes

Thank you Peter Mac for the thoughtful insight. I reached out to a few locals. Actually stating that I won’t need a place to stay while i can still take care of their little kitty. I figured I can cat sit locally first before expending. I’m sure something will come up at some point. I just wasn’t sure if there was something I was missing.

Hi Angela,

That’s very kind of you thank you! I actually thought about starting locally and even suggested to take care of the pet without having to stay there unless needed. I thought it was a great way to perhaps even meet the cat owner in person and as you said make a connection. But Alas it didn’t work. You have stated in your message that you had to apply multiple times before you got your first one so I’m just going to keep on trying. In the meanwhile I would love to share my profile with you and will take all the advice and help I can get.
Thank you again for reaching out. I truly appreciate that.
Ben

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. The Bay Area is often referred to the San Francisco Bay and it surrounding. It’s not a stupid question. Asking questions is a good thing :slight_smile:

Hi Therese,

Thank you for reaching out. Yeah I was a bit confused at first between the two and why it didn’t take my original password but I figured it out. Thank you again. Have a great weekend.

Hi @LTD
Gorgeous, I really must visit Wales more often

2 Likes

Hi Ben, you are very welcome. We want all of our members to get the very best from their TrustedHousesitters membership and always remember, even those members with many reviews and numerous sits to their credit started in exactly the same place as you, as Newbies …

I’ve removed your profile link from the comment and will Direct Message you.

1 Like

I agree with the others who said “start local”. I booked as many local sits as I could before I started applying out of the area. This also gives the host a chance to meet you ahead of time, if they’d like.

Also, if there’s a sit you want and you don’t think you have a chance, apply anyway. When I watched Harry and Meghan’s wedding on TV, I thought “Windsor looks like such a cute little town, I wonder if there are any house sits there”. There was one. I applied, and to my surprise I was selected! I added on a couple other house sits in England and one in Ireland, and the next thing I knew I was on a two- months trip. It was absolutely wonderful, and completely unexpected.

9 Likes

Thanks Angela I look forward to hearing from you! Great feedback! Ben

2 Likes

Hi there, we are new in the community. To be honest, we don’t have much experience in pets sitting. We would like to start our first sits in Belgium, France, Italy just take care of the house. To get the feeling of house sitting. We are very flexible in our time and are trilled to start. What are the tips from the community to get this to the attemtion of house owners. Thanks for your help. Els and Erik

1 Like

Hi @Els-Erik welcome to the community I have moved your post to this really helpful and informative conversation, there is a lot of great advice here and also on our website blog do explore the forum there are many topics which you will find helpful and informative.

1 Like

HI,
I became a member about a month ago, and have secured 4 sits. I have changed my profile several times already trying to get it right. I would say be honest. Complete as many verifications as you can. In my application I tell them I am new, and looking for owners on this site who will give me a chance. It may just be a waiting game for now with COVID, and there are more sitters to owners. Good luck!

6 Likes

Hi @evag008 You must be doing something right! Four sits the first month is pretty good, I’d say.

When I first started, I was wondering how I would ever get sits, and now I’m over 70 reviews!

7 Likes

I hope it continues, but I have gotten more ‘declines’ so far.

1 Like

Covid has made everything weird. Even with all my reviews, I had 20 rejections at the beginning of the year when there were few sits.

The only suggestion I can make is do as many local ones that interest you, even if they’re only for a few days, so you can build up your number of reviews.

5 Likes

HI @evag008 like @Rebecca_R I have many reviews, have been pet and house sitting a LONG time and with TrustedHousesitters since the very beginning. It took me weeks of making numerous applications before I was successful and this year I’ve had many declines … the secret is not to take it personally there could be a whole host of reasons why.

You’ve secured four sits which is amazing … these are very different times which we hope will pass and soon.

6 Likes

I would say give as much information as you feel comfortable with knowing that owners are total strangers to you. Just as owners need to feel comfortable that decent people are coming into their home, sitters need to feel comfortable that their privacy is respected and that friends of the owners who may have a house key do not not wander into the house when they feel like it. Sitters are not employees and do not need to see themselves like that when filling out an sit application. It just needs to be factual and honest. Owners requesting “competent sitters” is to me very condescending as I see myself as very competent, caring and knowledgeable about animals. Respect for each other roles is a two way street.

1 Like

This is the first time I am doing a sit fir new member. After asking several times, only a piece of paper for welcome. Arrived after 7 hrs drive and all I got a very fast review, dog food, garage code. They were rushing to go have lunch. I asked for coffee.
Their return , I have been told I can leave any time Sunday as I am driving. And I find out , they will be arriving at night. I don’t drive at night. How can I leave early in the morning and have. dog at home for hours. I will be taking the road by early afternoon but I have to take a rest in a motel.
I have never been shown the kitchen , nor towels for a shower. I count my self as a pro. After they left, I did take out. I couldn’t go out as we had a terrible storm and rain.
I don’t know how but new HOs have to learn a lot. Don’t know whose job.
Thanks

3 Likes

Grandma
I never confirm a sit until The owner answers all the important questions unless it is a return sit and I have built trust with the owner. When you are dealing with people you never met, it’s difficult to know what will happen unless you ask and have all the answers before you confirm a sit. Unfortunately, the system asks you to confirm the sit without double checking that you have had all your vital questions answered satisfactorily.