Who loves house sits with chickens?

We used to have Bantam and Silkie chickens when we lived in South Africa. We had a hard time keepin gthe chicks away from the Vervet Monkeys, so had some sad moments because of that but loved every second with them. We recently took care of 3 baby chicks - so cute (pictured)…who decided to grow up real fast during our 10 day sit in Madison, Wisconsin. IN August we are going to do a mini-farm sit with 50+ turkeys, chickens, and guinea fowl - I can’t wait. My Mom, Nancy is known as the chicken caller … she just looks at them and they come running … recent pic of her in a park in Visalia, California … she opened the car door and the chickens and peacocks gathered

around her!

8 Likes

@Lisa_and_Nancy amazing thank you so much for sharing. We sat chickens for the first time 5 years ago and have been truly feathered ever since, they are just so very special (but then all animals are) … we can’t wait to see pics of the mini farm animals … you have so many TAILS to tell of your pet sitting adventure just in the last year, safe and happy travels.

2 Likes

Wow! 50 turkeys… that will be interesting to hear about! I think your mum would get on great with my Ian! When we lived in Panama he was locally called the “Chicken Man”. We used to raise our own chicks (or the mums did) but Ian named every one of them, and had such an affinity with them as they grew. Of course the local indigenous people found this both strange and hilarious. The idea of allowing chickens into the house and “naming” them made Ian a bit of a local nut-case I think :slight_smile:

Enjoy your farm sit … I think @Lindsay may be interested to hear about your experience with guinea fowl!

4 Likes

Ha ha!! That happened to Nancy in Kenya. We were were in Mombasa waiting in line for the ferry and Nancy did one cluck and all these chickens came running to the car. The people in their vendor stalls starting yelling We We Mganga - Swahili for Witch Doctor :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to be reunited with Guinea fowl!

5 Likes

A wonderful weekend in New Orleans on a chicken sit

6 Likes

aaaggh now i have that tune in my head

1 Like

We love chickens and other poultry too!

We just did a sit with quails and we’ve now decided that if we ever “settle down” we will have some quails, they are so adorable and lay delicious little eggs!

2 Likes

Have you got any photos of the quails? How interactive are they? I’m intrigued… Never seen them other than in the wild :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to have a chicken but I have a cat and don’t now how good they will live together :frowning:

1 Like

We’ve done quite a few sits with both… The cats were disinterested (possibly even nervous) and kept a wide berth :wink:

2 Likes

We love sits with chickens - currently looking after 5 at the moment on a sit. They all have unique personalities and are fun to watch

6 Likes

The sit we are currently on has chickens and cats - they just ignore each other!

5 Likes

Personally… I think the chickens would win (if it came to it) :grinning: :rooster: :chicken: We used to own a rooster called “Big Red” - humans fled in fear!!

5 Likes

Hi Andrew,
How did it go with your chicken sit? :joy:

Unfortunately, that sit was cancelled

OK thanks Andrew.

Hope you have some chickens to take care of soon. I would love to one day too.

2 Likes

Love those chooks…see the poem i wrote ‘Counting Chickens’ in travel story section!

1 Like

M’y new friends in France.

3 Likes

That’s a lovely picture @Grandma - do they come to the house? It always makes me smile when I turn around and find a chicken wondering around the house :grinning: :rooster:

1 Like

They leave here. I take care.

2 Likes