Wording of homeowners listing - sitters perceptions

I think responsibilities sounds fine tbh!!

:orangutan: :orangutan: :orangutan:

I don’t like it when people put ‘you will be required to…’

Personally, I find that turn of phrase a bit off putting!!

:dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel:

2 Likes

Responsibilities, duties, you will be required to do, all mean the same thing just in a different way. There is a slight chance the people writing them may have different life experiences and working environment. I have found in the past that people who have more responsibility will be clearer and more concise when writing. They aren’t as woolly.

1 Like

agreed. between language differences (many people writing listings are ESL) and experience differences, i take wording with a grain of salt and go with my gut after talking to them. i some from a very formal business background and that communication style slips into even casual conversation sometimes, much less something that’s a bit more formal like a job description - which is what i personally view listings as (to some extent)

What is ESL?

English as a Second Language

Haha, and that’s exactly why I didn’t know the meaning. I am German and English is not my mother language.

1 Like

They might fairly be called “expectations” for example, sitters will leave the home as clean as they found it, feed/walk the pets according to the homeowner, administer medication if required, etc. Of course, sitters would have expectations of the homeowners as well.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum at @lawyergirl and absolutely… For us as sitters we always request a chat, video if possible, before accepting a sit to make sure our “expectations” are aligned with the owners and vice versa. But interestingly, when writing or speaking, I’d never say “I expect” as it sounds demanding (in my mind, maybe not for others)… The trickiness of words and expression :slight_smile: Enjoy connecting and joining in the conversations. All the best and happy weekend!

I always think it’s funny when home owners need to point out ‘This is a luxury assignment’ I was just reading a listing where in addition to the first comment they also added amongst other expectations in capital letters NOTE THIS IS NOT A VACATION YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO PUT THE PUPS NEEDS BEFORE YOUR AGENDA/ACTIVITIES. We always put the pets needs first but reading that written in that manner it would be a sit I would not apply for.

4 Likes

@adamas, I also have felt disadvantaged, especially during early sits that I took to build resume and didn’t know to read subtext or ignored the clues.

Several people have left pets with known (undisclosed) issues, one HO didn’t leave any pet food, several houses were dirty, and/or had their own stuff strewn about every surface, or had old bad beds. Undisclosed inside surveillance. One home had non-potable well water so I had to haul bottles. One mentioned train whistle but not that starts at 4 am and the house literally shakes. . (Apparently the city cut down the trees that were buffer in order to widen tracks). Lovely lady except I didn’t realize how tired I was until afterwards.

After a bunch of sits, I’ve come to realize that some sits favor sitter as we get to be in an area without the cost of hotel or vacation rental. And/or the people are lovely, appreciative, generous, etc. Where the home has something going for it, and the animals are truly delightful.

Some favor the homeowner to an extent that I wouldn’t repeat even as a paid sit.

The review system does not allow for separate public and private comments — although I suspect that it may not matter as none of my challenging HO’s have asked for feedback. And the reviews seem to be binary (either leave 5* or say nothing). So I take note when there are a few non-reviews, especially when there are clues in the description.

Also, I have been re-invited privately so I think that some of the good sits out there find their match and don’t necessarily come back on the open market. Meaning it could be a bit of a long game to build reviews and then also find the gems that work out as repeat or ongoing.

5 Likes