A discussion on locked rooms

As a sitter and owner with many sits and sitter experiences I can honestly say when on a sit I have never opened a draw, cupboard etc that I have not had reason to. I am not remotely interested in anything outside of the pets in my care and the parts of the home I need to use. I will run a vac and duster around rooms I don’t use but otherwise my focus is solely on my responsibilities and I truly believe that is our way, that is why our community works.

As an owner I have treated my sitters in exactly the same way but we each have different comfort levels and owners need to do whatever is right for them, including what to do with precious items.

A locked room is certainly not going to offend me but as @Snowbird says make certain that it is a room where access is not needed for any essential maintenance.

5 Likes

It makes total sense to have a room or designated areas that are locked or off limits to sitters. After all, you do not truly know who you are letting into your home. Just because they have great references(some fake, may be references from friends) or good reviews does not always mean that they are desirable people. You can only tell by how they introduce themselves, address you, what verifiable information they share with you and your own gut feeling. Its always safer to have a lock off limits area stating that there is a camera although you may nothave got around to buying a camera. As a sitter, I am more comfortable with having fewer areas that dont need tidying if all the pet needs can be kept in the sitter designated areas.

HI @Willexcell we encourage all members to manage sits in the way which makes everyone feel the most comfortable and to communicate this from the very beginning so that arrangements are clearly understood and agreed.

The policy on cameras is that all devices are disarmed and non functioning while sitters are in the home, even in designated closed rooms. Tt’s unlikely but possible, that even closed rooms might need to be accessed with the owner’s knowledge and permission.

We mustn’t forget TrustedHousesitters is an arrangement built on mutual trust … again whatever makes members comfortable, with the exception of operational internal cameras.

2 Likes