Bedroom(s) for sitters

Hi, we’re new to trusted housesitters and I have a question.
This might seem a little bit odd but I have a question around allowing your housesitter to access the master bedroom (and sleep in our bed). We have 3 other bedrooms that are super comfy and spacious but they don’t offer the spectacular view that our master bedroom offers. I’m not comfortable with someone else sleeping in our bed but how do I control that when we are away?

2 Likes

Hi @mollyk - I totally understand and you just need to make it clear in your listing which bedroom/bathroom is available to sitters. I would also like to know if there is any hanging/drawer space available. The vast majority of sitters would respect your wishes but you can emphasise your wishes in a pre-confirmation chat and also mention it in your Welcome Guide. That way there will be no misunderstanding.

3 Likes

Hi @mollyk and welcome. Yours is not an unreasonable request. Make sure you clearly communicate this - in your listing perhaps, definitely in your email and voice/video meets, and in your welcome guide.

I have the opposite at times, where homeowners encourage me to use their bedroom as they feel it’s the most comfortable bed, but I’m just not comfortable with using their room when there are other options. There’s never been a problem when I explain that.

Communication is key. If you have any doubts when choosing a sitter that they won’t comply, then you haven’t found the right sitter. Don’t settle as it’s important that everyone feel comfortable that it’s a good fit.

6 Likes

Like @Snowbird, I prefer not to sleep in the master bedroom — I dunno, it just seems too intimate somehow — but absolutely you can make that room off limits. Just show the sitters where they’ll be staying, on your sit profile and during the walkthrough. Anyone who doesn’t respect that once established is not a good sitter.

8 Likes

Just let them know they have the option to sleep in any one of the other three. As long as the room is nice and the bed/bedding comfortable, I don’t see an issue, and I seriously doubt that anyone would go against your wishes.

Is it OK if they enjoy the view by standing in the bedroom occasionally? Closed doors (especially with a “keep out” sign) give the wrong message, I think. And don’t get me started on people who lock/padlock a BR door. What if there’s a fire, and that’s the only safe egress?

2 Likes

I had several HO locking their door. And we have been told. Also one time the HO forgo to take the dog bed out. Nobody slept for 3 weeks.

3 Likes

@mollyk… are there views from any other rooms in the house other than the master bedroom? Bedroom use is for sleeping when its dark and you can’t see the view anyway. Its why I never upgrade at a hotel for room with seaview…

@mollyk Just make sure you include a photo of the bedroom your sitters will be using and not your bedroom with its wonderful view. I’m thinking that spectacular view will be seen from other rooms and not just your bedroom; and also seen from outside!
The majority of sitters are respectful of owner’s wishes so just make it very clear that the master bedroom is not available.

4 Likes

Any option is possible! In your case it is clear: YOU decide which one of your many bedrooms the sitter(s) can use and they have to stick to it.

Myself, I have had all sorts of arrangements in the past: from sleeping on the sofa in the living room or on a mattress on the floor in a storage room in the basement - to sleeping in the bed of the owner together with their two dogs, because there was only that one bed in the little studio flat and the dogs were used to sleep in it with their owner at all times. I found any of these slightly less fancy arrangements acceptable and even fun, but not every sitter will. A guest room for the sitter(s) is certainly the ideal case.

1 Like

It is very easy to control which bedrooms(s) the sitters use - just tell them

2 Likes

I am always more comfortable not sleeping in the main bedroom if there are other rooms/bathrooms available. I’d feel as though I’m invading their private space. If the main bedroom door is left closed, thats the way it will stay for the duration of my sit. It is their home and their rules apply.

2 Likes

thank you everyone for giving me great advice! Will make it clear in our communication with our house sitter.

1 Like

You make sure it is noted in their welcome guide. We always lock our bedroom door (whenever we are away) as we feel that is our private space and NO ONE but us should be in there!

1 Like

I agree , from a fellow Man united supporter !

2 Likes

I sleep in the room I’m told to sleep in. On a few sits I’ve been offered use of the master bed room bath - that’s where the shower is or something like that.

2 Likes

If you are not comfortable with someone sleeping in your bed, that’s fine. It’s your house. You may want to let your sitter choose which one if your guest rooms they’d like to use. As a sitter I much prefer a guest room to the homeowner’s bed. Sleeping in the homeowner’s bed kind of creeps me out.

I’ve only once slept in the homeowner’s bed because that was the only bed she had. Usually I’ll be told which is my room or be given a choice. It’s very important to offer the sitter hanging and drawer space if possible. I’ve had at least two sits where I’ve had to live out of my suitcase which, while ok for a weekend, isn’t great when sitting for longer.

PSA for all HOs who lock doors to certain rooms:

Please replace the batteries in all smoke detectors! I was on a sit when the beep-beep-beep started up (at night!) from a room that was locked. The HOs, fortunately, were still awake where they were, and were able to tell me where the spare key was. But then, I had trouble accessing the smoke detector without a tall ladder, and the young neighbor with good knees had to come over (height of pandemic) and squeeze herself on alcove where she could reach the unit.

8 Likes

Yes. This should be a PSA for all owners before leaving, even if they are not locking the rooms. We have had chirping alarms on smoke detectors and it just meant that the batteries needed to be changed. It was still alarming, but we were able to change them. This also happened twice when staying at Airbnbs. That was really annoying.

2 Likes

We have the exact same situation but in our case, we are very comfortable with the sitters sleeping in our master bedroom as that’s where our dog sleeps and we have sitters so his routine isn’t disrupted. Just tell the sitters which bedroom you prefer them to use and that’s that. I trust they will follow instructions and have never found any that didn’t. Not that it couldn’t happen, but that’s why its called TRUSTED Housesitters.

3 Likes