Another listing with no sitters, 11 days to go

Ever since the pandemic, I’ve had such terrible luck getting sitters. I used to have 2-3 applications, and now I’m lucky to get one.

I had a great application about 2 months ago. The sitter was proactive to want to meet up for a call. I responded withing an hour of application. Then they ghosted me the whole next day. When I texted them, they said, oh sorry, we have to cancel our application. This has happened on every listing I’ve made in the last 2 years.

I don’t know if anyone else is experiencing this. I think this is going to be my last subscription year with Trusted Housesitters. When it works, it works great!

I’ve been through listing tune ups with other owners, and sitters. I’ve reached out to past sitters. I just never had to do so much work to get a sitter. I’m really bummed because this used to be such a great way to get house sitters, but here I am again, 11 days until we leave for a week, with no one. I already boosted my listing a month ago too.

Frustrated in Colorado.

1 Like

THS is a marketplace, so supply and demand can shift over time.

There seem to be way more sits than sitters in general, and Colorado is one of those places that always seem to have a good number of sits, gauging from my having joined a year ago. Such supply vs. demand can make it hard for hosts to compete for sitters.

When it was easy for you to get sitters, sitters probably were complaining about how hard it was to get sits.

2 Likes

I’ve just glanced at your profile, while you have great reviews I am not sure if you realise that there are few things that are a little off-putting in your profile. Such simple things to put right.

You wrote “We usually try to make a decision on applicants at least a month before the sit, if possible” - While your sit is within a month this time, it also implies that you don’t ordinarily make an instant decision when you read a sitters application (who could be perfect), it sounds like you wait until you have received multiple applications before deciding. We prefer owners that trust their instinct if we sound like the perfect fit for them, and take things forward quickly. So personally I’d leave out that sentence all together.

You wrote “Choosing applicants can be difficult, but the process is important for you and us equally!” - That could be worded in a more positive manner, rather than a negative tone. We as sitters are in a happy frame of mind when looking at pictures cute pets in different locations, we are naturally positively minded and feel a more natural bond with owners that come across as positive. It’s a simple fix.

You started the pet section with “The most important reason…”. After the two other points I raised, some may think you are quite serious, as you start the section with a word like ‘important’. Whereas if you describe why it’s important instead, it get may get across your personality better, because you love and adore your pets (and rightly so, they look gorgeous!).

7 Likes

Thanks for your feedback! You make some great points. I did retool some of the items after we had a really bad sitter. Those items are ones that you point out. I’m going to go back in and implement your solutions. Thank you again for giving it a look over. It’s hard to think through things like that as the owner. I appreciate you looking at it from a sitter’s point of view!

6 Likes

You’re welcome. I can totally understand if you had a bad sitter. Don’t focus on the bad sitters, focus on the type of sitter you want, not the type of sitter you don’t want. You want someone that is positive, caring, loving, light hearted, motivated to keep a tidy house, the ‘happy to help’ type. I know that’s who you are as a person too, because your past sitters seem to think you are great. So focus on those like-minded people. Good luck, I hope you find someone amazing.

10 Likes

Hi @Spaceboy your listing looks good overall…

And not that you asked for a listing review…but what do you mean by keep kennel time at a minimum during the day? How long can the pup be left alone? Good to state that…

Your listing should be as you like/need but we have a service snow blow and mow in our absence. Not sure about the gardening…would need more info. These are things I would not ask of a sitter and things I would not want to do as a sitter.

Also, have you only had the 1 applicant for the April dates?

I am a combined member…just fyi.

Having done a couple of sits in the Denver area, I think you have a lot of competition. I agree you might look into someone doing the snow removal since that would not be something I would want to do. You might also mention whether the pup can be taken places in the car since Colorado is such a great hiking destination.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @HelloOutThere !

Good question about the kennel time. I know there’s now a question for owners that asks maximum amount of time to leave the pet alone. That probably covers that item now.

Interesting about the mowing and snow removal. It’s something I think I might remove since we’ve never had to have someone do that anyway. The gardening item is mostly to have people pick tomatoes and carrots if they want to enjoy some. Again, we’ve only had one person take us up on that in 5 years.

Yes, only the one applicant, about 2 months ago.

I appreciate your great feedback!

2 Likes

Great feedback!

I have also heard Colorado is so desirable, it might be hard to get sitters. I think I’m going to get rid of the snow removal thing since it’s never been a thing and is pretty rare that it doesn’t just melt away anyway, as you probably know.

I’m going to consider that hiking thing! We’ve only had one sitter ever ask if our dog could go in the car.

2 Likes

More feedback @Spaceboy… I neglected to mention that your kitties and pup are cuties…

1 Like

Hi there, I took a look at your profile for you. Here are my suggestions;

1: Intro:
A good introduction should hook sitters from the first line and tell them exactly why they should sit for you. It should read more like an exciting advert than an autobiography of your life. Starting a listing off with “we’re a family that likes to travel… We were married in… We enjoy…” Etc etc, doesn’t do much to immediately tell sitters what they are gaining from this sit and why they should choose you. Instead, try something like:

“Do you want to discover the bustling city of Denver, enjoy the calm parks and nature of Parker, or even enjoy skiing on our nearby mountains? Are you a responsible person who loves dogs and cats? Then this is the sit for you! Hi, we’re (names), and we have a spacious home to accommodate singles, couples or even a family with children to care for our Pomeranian and 2 cats.” Etc.

I don’t think you need to mention your dates and that you’d like a video call in your intro - sitters can already see the dates when they click ‘apply’ and also most people set up a video call to arrange a sit - it should be a given and doesn’t really need to be mentioned in the intro.

2: Home & location:

It’s okay and covers everything it needs to, but is little long and could be shortened to more concise dot points for an easier & simpler read.

3: Responsibilities:
Again, it’s okay but can be shortened to more concise dot points. E.g:

• feed pets twice daily
  • Walk our dog Finn once daily for (how long?) & offer some daily play time & company.
  • clean cat’s litter box when necessary
  • water house plants twice weekly
  • collect mail
  • leave house tidy & as you found it

Also mentioning how long the pets can be left for is helpful for many sitters to know.

Overall though, it sounds like a nice sit, and your pets look lovely :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope that helps!

1 Like

@Spaceboy Unfortunately your answer to that question is not published for sitters to see, but for THS for “data collecting purposes” :face_with_monocle: So, you do need to clearly write this piece of information in the Resposibilities section.

2 Likes

I’m just going to add here that I’m not a huge fan of the question format in the THS platform listings.

Just a different perspective.

Not looking for a bunch of challenge replies.

If you like it - use it.

Thanks for your review! I do tend to be wordy, and becoming more brief can make it easier for someone to skim, and therefore want to apply. A wall of text can drive people away sometimes.

1 Like

Oh, good to know! I’ll add it back in.

1 Like

Hi! I just looked at your listing and IMO it looks wonderful! I’m sorry you are experiencing not having any sitters apply.

The only question I had after looking at your listing was, which bedroom will the sitter be using? Some sitters like to know is there a guestroom or will they be able to choose which room they like best?

And, OMG!!! Your pets are adorable!!! Wish I was free at that time.
Best of luck!!!

2 Likes

Sadly, I had to cancel my last request for a sitter here and hire someone through another company. I invited countless sitters, all declined. I also am not having much luck. My only other sitters (who I love and am incredibly grateful for) have been repeats and not new apps. Best of luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Does that work? Can you get sitters there that are prepared to sleep with three dogs?

(I would charge humongous amounts of money for that.)

Yes, you love to travel. No free sitter available? Well, I suggest you prepare your backup plans if you want to leave on schedule in 10 days.

HomeOwners in general LOVE to have free house sitters! Free sitters take over all the work of pet care, travel to and from your home at their own expense, and care for the home and plants, provide security, and can react to disasters like water leaks.

If you dont have enough benefits to attract a free sitter, add some;

• stock the fridge and freezer with food, meats, wine, cheese, appetizers,deserts
  • have a maid/cleaner come in
  • provide tickets/gift certificate to a local restaurant, attraction, museum, ski resort, spa, sports event, theater, bike rental…etc
  • send a taxi to pick them up from the airport

When a listing is lopsided in favour of the HomeOwner, sitters can quickly judge the cost and benefits. Good luck.

2 Likes

Yes, it didn’t take long for me to find someone. She is coming to sleep with my 3 dogs. We were desperate, I kept hoping someone would pick it up here but they didn’t. Each person puts their own rate, and you can talk with them to explain what you need. As long as their availability is open. I used rover. I wouldn’t recommend it yet because I have no experience yet.

4 Likes