Application declined without a message

I have had two HO do that to me already. One was a high flying doctor without any courtesy. The other just withdrew the whole sit. They could have said something it takes a second. But I have had lots of other lovely people that communicate effectively. I know I am a good choice and whoever gets me is lucky to care for their pets.

4 Likes

I totally get it, happens to us too (not often)but I wish they would at least acknowledge our application when declining, weā€™ve taken the time to carefully craft a message as you say.

2 Likes

I donā€™t expect sitters to reply to my decline message, but Iā€™ve noticed that most of them do.

It does happen, so donā€™t take it personally. One of the houses w/ a dog that did that to me, ā€¦ I wasnā€™t too surprisedā€¦ but I find myself uninterested in applying again for future dates. It doesnā€™t take much for a busy person to say, " thank you for your application", and it is polite. Who knows, you may bump into them again, somewhere, some of them, at leastā€¦

1 Like

This happens to me all the time, even with glowing reviews that stated I was the best sitter they ever had and my background in veterinary medicine. I am considering adding onto my application ā€œPlease provide a response if you choose somebody else so that I can improve future applications.ā€ Without a reason, what do I have to work with? Do they take exception to my profile? My application? Number of reviews? I put a lot of effort in, the least they can do is write one sentence.

1 Like

I have just had it happen by a new member on THS. I felt like typing a message to say that a quick thanks but no thanks would have been nice, but managed to stop myself.

@GAThrawn
Donā€™t take it personally, people have varying levels of etiquette everywhere, not just on THS

1 Like

@Louise7 a new member will likely not realise that when their chosen sitter accepts the sit - all the other applicants get an automatic decline generated by the THS without a personal message .

2 Likes

I didnā€™t realise that either. My house holder this morning did send a follow up message about an hour after. I sent a message after the decline to thank him for considering my application.

1 Like

I understand how you feel as Iā€™ve also had this experience. Iā€™m almost at 30 x 5 star reviews and yes, it can feel pretty ruthless to get a flat decline like that.

The way I look at it now though is so much of who that personā€™s character is revealed in their lack of basic human decency and courtesy.

I ask myself ā€˜Would I honestly want to enter into any type of arrangement with a person who operates like this?ā€™ My answer is a resounding ā€˜No.ā€™

You deserve better. Everyone does.

2 Likes

Totally agree. It takes two minutes to say thanks for applying but weā€™ve decided to go with someone else.

1 Like

I think itā€™s a shame that people are choosing to feel offended by not receiving a message when declined for a sit and writing off the HO as having no manners. You literally have no way of knowing why they didnā€™t send one so itā€™s up to you to interpret that any way you like. Why not choose a reason that doesnā€™t make you feel hard done to. Maybe they just donā€™t understand the system or the correct etiquette or like the previous comment, they were going to get round to it later. Whatever the reason it has nothing to do with you and therefore no need to upset yourself.

2 Likes

Happened to me this morning. Applied for a sit and within 20 minutes got the dreaded auto decline message. No message from HO. Bit odd as HO is now ā€˜currently not looking for a sitterā€™.

Hi @Popidol
I agree to give new HOā€™s a bit of leeway on this and as a new HO told me they didnā€™t realise how the THS system worked and that as soon as a sitter accepts the sit all other applicants get an immediate decline message.
Itā€™s the long term HOā€™s that donā€™t message just a simply thanks but chosen another sitter message I have issues with.

1 Like