As an owner, do you give any type of gift to sitters

As an owner, does anyone give the sitters a gift? If so, what type of gift? money? Gift card?

3 Likes

HI @Pnurse as an active sitter and also an owner who engaged sitters for my home in Canada (I’m one of those full time sitters, it keeps me fully connected with our community) it’s a very personal thing and will often depend on the relationship which develops.

As an owner I always brought something home for my sitters (I had no pets to care for and was generally gone for a min of 3 months, pet sitting and working remotely) I had one sitter who joined a quilting class and left me the most gorgeous quilt as a thank you.

As a sitter I have been given many lovely gifts which are hugely appreciated but I always impress on owners it neither expected or necessary. I must say I always leave my owners a little something, but again that’s my personal choice to do so.

It is very personal with no obligation whatsoever, on either side .

11 Likes

We, usually, bring our sitters a gift from where we’ve visited - usually edible or drinkable! The sitters who have looked after our place have always done such a great job; often going beyond what we expect, like the extra weeding or freezing of surplus soft fruit & veg. We are grateful as it allows us a holiday without worrying that it is just a small token of our appreciation.

10 Likes

I usually had a little gift for my sitters. Since most sitters already left when we got home I get souvenir from Alaska and leave it for the sitters when they arrive. Nother expensive, but a thank you for taking care of my dogs and house.

6 Likes

As a sitter, I don’t want or need a gift. As we no longer have pets etc, your sit is a sort of gift as tis the only opportunity to have a furry friend of some kind to befriend.

11 Likes

I do not expect any gifts as a sitter, rather prefer a clean house on arrival and good communication.

25 Likes

Tongue in cheek or being cheeky means-expressing an idea as a joke but may not be a joke n perhaps seroious

2 Likes

If you say something tongue in cheek, you intend it to be understood as a joke, although you might appear to be serious.

So JackieX’s question to Lynda was asking if her reply serious or meant as a joke.

5 Likes

Thank you @PetSitterBug (love the name) welcome to the forum, it’s great to have you here and we look forward to getting to know you better and share in your THS story and experiences.

Thank you for joining, enjoy meeting other members and here’s to making great connections and having interesting conversations.

Angela & The Team

1 Like

I give the a gift card or 2 to local restaurants depending on how long they are staying. Let’s face it as a HO we are saving a ton of money with THS vs having an in house pet sitter. So, for me, it is my small way of saying thank you.

24 Likes

I have considerable engagement with the Sitter(s) prior to arrival so I typically glean something out of our talks that provides for an appropriate gift.
In addition to a gift & reams of local resources, I leave a thank you note & fresh flowers to express our gratitude.

7 Likes

I really like the ideas presented in this string. I have been leaving a couple of gift cards to local grocery stores (they’re great and unique stores). Now I have other ideas as well!

4 Likes

Hi everyone We live in Perth Western Australia. Our house sits have mainly been in London - we have now done about 13 house sits in total. Re gifts. We like to leave owners home looking lovely clean etc. As we have had the benefit of a wonderful stay in London for very little I might buy flowers or a plant or chocolates and wine. At one of house sits in Sydney it was easter and I knew the owners had kids so left a big bowl of easter eggs. Cannot wait to get back to London. It is my favourite city. I have lived there and miss it so much.

4 Likes

We typically leave a welcome basket with wine, snacks and info on the City so they have something to get started the first day or so. When we have had sitters over Christmas holiday, we will leave a small token such as a gift card to the grocery store. Not much, just something small.

5 Likes

We are new to THS and only had local people to sit for us and we paid them for their stay. We also brought something from the places we’ve been but this time I was wondering what to do, because our first sitter from THS will leave before we come back so a gift at the end doesn’t work. I love the idea of the basket including a gift card for groceries or cafes. :clap:t3:

2 Likes

Hi @anon39388349 the fact that you are thinking about your sitter and how to show your appreciation is wonderful.

We never expect anything other than our all important review but the extra little touches which can come from both sides, is always appreciated.

When I arrive at a sit which has been considerately prepared for my stay a clean tidy home, space to unpack etc., to find an owner has been thoughtful enough to add a little “Thank you” makes our arrival just that extra special.

Small touches can make all the difference. as the saying goes “It’s the thought that counts”

3 Likes

Yes I usually bring some small gift back from wherever we have been, like from Camargue I brought rice and salt, local products. I appreciate the sitters get to share your home but they also do a lot for your beloved animals. So a small gift in my book is good just to show appreciation

6 Likes

Exactly my thoughts :blush:
I think if everybody imagined to be in the other’s shoes most things would come naturally.

6 Likes

I’ve only just started sitting and I’ve had the empty fridge where I have to admit, it made feel unwelcome as I think you purposely have to go to lengths to do that. But then my last 2 left me gifts and I felt very welcomed and appreciated.

5 Likes

I was surprised to recently do a repeat sit and be faced with an empty fridge, which must be quite hard to do! There wasn’t even any milk, which I’d been left before, so had to go straight out to get some. I was surprised as we’ve become quite friendly

2 Likes