As an owner, do you give any type of gift to sitters

As an owner, does anyone give the sitters a gift? If so, what type of gift? money? Gift card?

1 Like

No, they’ve had the gift of my beautiful home to stay in for free for a wonderful holiday in London!

2 Likes

Hi @Lynda welcome to our community Forum it’s great to have you join and thank you for being part of TrustedHousesitters.

We hope you’ll enjoy the conversations and connecting with other members and we can’t wait to get to know you better.

Enjoy,

Angela and #TeamTrusted

HI @Pnurse as an active sitter and also an owner who engaged sitters for my home in Canada (I’m one of those full time sitters, it keeps me fully connected with our community) it’s a very personal thing and will often depend on the relationship which develops.

As an owner I always brought something home for my sitters (I had no pets to care for and was generally gone for a min of 3 months, pet sitting and working remotely) I had one sitter who joined a quilting class and left me the most gorgeous quilt as a thank you.

As a sitter I have been given many lovely gifts which are hugely appreciated but I always impress on owners it neither expected or necessary. I must say I always leave my owners a little something, but again that’s my personal choice to do so.

It is very personal with no obligation whatsoever, on either side .

5 Likes

Yes @Pnurse I always come back with a gift for my sitters, it’s symbolic.

We always invite them for lunch or dinner before our departure as we want to see them one day before and on our way back, we bring them something from the place where we were : some honey from Corsica (last summer), chocolate (from Swizerland), 1 or 2 bottles of wine from France when sitters live in a country where wine is expensive (England, Scandinavia)

In summer a bunch of fresh Lavender from our garden, or some liquor my husband makes with verbena

I’m so pleased everything was Ok, the pets happy, the house tidy, so grateful when they had sent us photos, posts that I think normal to show they are more like friends now.

I would never give money, i guess sitters would feel insulted (i would be as a pet sitter). Money may be given only for expenses they have made whilst we were away (petrol to go 4 times to the vet clinic, 30 km distant, for example)

3 Likes

I always find a bottle of wine is welcome and if the owners have been abroad, or had a long trip home, I usually make a meal for their return.

4 Likes

We, usually, bring our sitters a gift from where we’ve visited - usually edible or drinkable! The sitters who have looked after our place have always done such a great job; often going beyond what we expect, like the extra weeding or freezing of surplus soft fruit & veg. We are grateful as it allows us a holiday without worrying that it is just a small token of our appreciation.

5 Likes

I usually had a little gift for my sitters. Since most sitters already left when we got home I get souvenir from Alaska and leave it for the sitters when they arrive. Nother expensive, but a thank you for taking care of my dogs and house.

2 Likes

As a sitter, I don’t want or need a gift. As we no longer have pets etc, your sit is a sort of gift as tis the only opportunity to have a furry friend of some kind to befriend.

3 Likes

Hi Lynda
Is your tongue in your cheek, or is this truly what you believe?
I don’t doubt that if you’ve got a nice house in London you are always inundated with replies, and I’m sure that some of these people are just after a free holiday, but for some of us a sit is about the pets and caring for them.
We believe that housesitting is a win win for both parties, not that we should be grateful to be allowed into someone’s house. We take good care of the pet and property, and expect to be appreciated for what we do.
I know your original reply was to whether a gift is necessary so sorry for going off topic.

5 Likes

I do not expect any gifts as a sitter, rather prefer a clean house on arrival and good communication.

4 Likes

What is the meaning of " is your tongue in your cheek" ?? As tongues are in cheeks I wonder what it means…

1 Like

Tongue in cheek or being cheeky means-expressing an idea as a joke but may not be a joke n perhaps seroious

1 Like

If you say something tongue in cheek, you intend it to be understood as a joke, although you might appear to be serious.

So JackieX’s question to Lynda was asking if her reply serious or meant as a joke.

3 Likes

Thanks Petsitterbug (! The
choice of a nick name is always interesting…)

Thanks for your help. I’m often confused, although fluent, i sometimes understand badly. Dictionaries don’t always help. I think Linda was speaking very seriously

3 Likes

Thank you @PetSitterBug (love the name) welcome to the forum, it’s great to have you here and we look forward to getting to know you better and share in your THS story and experiences.

Thank you for joining, enjoy meeting other members and here’s to making great connections and having interesting conversations.

Angela & The Team