Behavioural Issues not Declared

I guess the HO didn’t disclose that on purpose because he wouldn’t get a sitter otherwise. This HO shouldn’t be on the site!!!

1 Like

That is why its essential for sitters to mention this kind of thing in their reviews!

2 Likes

I don’t know how long the new review system has been in place to review pet owners with separate categories and star ratings, but I don’t think so long. For me, I now feel it’s easier to provide my impressions of my sit without fear of retaliation.

2 Likes

I agree. And considering the dog is prone to mess everywhere I am surprised they allow dogs upstairs. The majority of sits I have done the dogs were not allowed upstairs. One dog that was prone to poop indoors was not allowed out of the large kitchen, which had tiles floor so easier to clean up.

With regards to your comment “it’s fine to have dogs that snap at other dogs or growl” - yes, if as a sitter you already were aware of this from the H.O. & the dog’s profile - NO, if this info is only disclosed AFTER you agreed the sit.

I’ve had an owner land me with a dog that was aggressive to other dogs and whilst yes, I have the dog on lead, without having been supplied a muzzle, I cannot do anything IF another dog off lead comes up. And though laws differ in different countries, most countries state that whoever is currently managing the dog is responsible for its behaviour and if an unmuzzled dog bites another dog, whilst you’re sitting it, you very well could find yourself to blame in the eyes of the law…Not a risk I’m willing to take, for anyone.

5 Likes

Completely agree with you! The owner was purposefully being deceitful; I’ve encountered this myself. And you’re also right: they shouldn’t be allowed to remain members. But, as you may notice reading the threads, there is a general theme about THS ignoring issues with owners :wink: (which is ironic since supposedly the founder was a sitter!)

We recently secured a sit after having a nice video chat with the HOs. Unfortunately once they sent us the welcome guide we found out the pets are often aggressive and also randomly pee/poo around the house and bed. We quickly requested to be unconfirmed and canceled the sit. The HO was not happy and messaged us that they didn’t appreciate our “overaction”. The listing has 3 active sets of dates and multiple applicants for each date. I am wondering if the HO will remove that information from the welcome guide. For us lesson learned, we added the “Any behavioral issues we should be aware of?” to the list of questions we ask HOs.

3 Likes

Any owner who breaks the T&Cs by having a pet that is aggressive and also not disclosing it can be reported to THS . THS only investigate if a “member dispute “ is raised . However disappointingly MS don’t often direct sitters to this process when members contact them with a complaint.

These are the relevant T&Cs

5.2.4. ensure that no pets to be left under the care of a Sitter have ever caused a person or animal any physical harm (no matter how minor the injury);

5.2.5. notify a Sitter of any special requirements or behaviours relating to your pet(s) in your Home Listing

5.2.7. ensure that the details of your Home Listingare accurate and up to date;

5.2.11. not have any inherently dangerous pets ………or any animal with a history of attacks on pets or people;has attacked other pets

1 Like