Can we get some input on our first listing? Not getting many applications

Hey y’all, newbies here. We posted our first listing a week ago, and…we’re not really getting much in the way of applications. We’ve had two genuine applications, then both of them canceled before we could have a call. Twelve people have saved the listing, but I honestly don’t really know what that means (should we reach out to them?). I’m wondering if there’s anything I can improve about the listing to get people more interested?

I’m trying to read through all the materials and the forum for advice, but I figured I’d post to see if any kind TH-ers can give us advice. Thank you!

(See member’s Forum profile for listing link)

I think your listing is great!

Could you include a bit more about the cats’ personalities? Do they like to cuddle, etc?

Overall, it’s a great listing.:+1:
My two suggestions are
•catchier title, maybe “Suburban Chalet in Foodie Nirvana.”
[The potential sitters can already see it is near DC and that you have two cats, so make the most of your title.]
•better photos with better lighting and angles
[You can replace them individually, as you get better pics. Also, look at your listing on your cell phone and computer, as they will appear slightly different.]

Your listing looks great. I agree with @Whirld-Traveller suggestions, and might add how long it takes to get to DC, e.g. “Chalet home, easy cats, 30 mins from DC”.
I would also limit the cat photos to 2 of each.
Also, some sitters are really turned off by photos of toilets with the lid open, so I would retake that bathroom photo!

I’m guessing that the lack of applications probably has to do with the shortness of the sit - 5 days isn’t very long and not a length I take myself unless it’s in a place I really love or want to visit.

Great that sitters can use your bike but maybe an offer for a pick up from the metro station would be welcome for people who will have luggage and no car as it’s a 15 min walk.

I’d also remove the photo of the cat on the bed, unless it’s required that the cats sleep there, and in that case you should mention it. Some sitters really don’t like sleeping with pets.

Lastly, many sitters from overseas are often are reluctant to chance visiting the USA atm due to the border control interrogations so that might be limiting your applicant pool.

Very best of luck.

Everyone’s looking for such different things in a holiday - and so much needs to align: dates/ location/ amenities/ duration. It might be that sometimes you don’t find a match. I think your listing is looks AMAZING, especially the unmedicated pest which is VERY hard to find in the US :wink: :paw_prints: Remember that you still have a month to go and many people look & book last minute trips - but definitely have a Plan B in place, like a pro pet sitter/ pet sitting service.

I’m agreeing with nearly everything already said here about pictures and length of stay. In addition, I note that it’s over Labor Day weekend, which makes the competition even tougher.

If you would be open to having a family come to sit, you could add that.

When someone saves your listing, it usually means they like it but the dates don’t work for them, so contacting them directly won’t help unless your dates are flexible. I notice that you currently have one applicant; getting back to applicants quickly is important as they have probably also applied to other sits during the same time frame.

Your listing is good and I actually favorited your sit when you listed it, but we are already booked over that weekend. Hope some time in the future, the timing is right and we are able to apply. Best of luck with your search!

Bonjour et bienvenue a TH :slight_smile: I think it looks very nice, and you do have some time yet. You’ve already received some good advice. Agree with saying a bit more about the cats’ personalities, and, how long can they be left alone?
I’ll add, I’ve seen quite a few listings that don’t include exterior views of the house, so I like that you have one! Maybe add one of the backyard area you described?

Re saving the listing: you could invite them – why not try if you see a sitter that sounds good to you – but don’t be too disappointed if they decline; as was mentioned, they may be interested but just not right now. It is possible they’re interested and still ‘thinking about it’ though, might apply but haven’t decided for sure or had the time, so you might get lucky with an invitation.

I’d like some more French practice on a sit, but this Canadian ain’t comin over for a while. :expressionless:
Bonne chance!

Welcome to forum @gitfiddle !

Some things that sitters look for and that many hosts don’t mention:

  1. Why should I want to go to your destination?
  2. How do I get there? What is the possibilities of public transport? Maybe something on how to get from airport?
  3. Beds: What bedrooms can we use? What sort of beds and how large? (Please use measurements and not full/ double/ queen and such, as the meaning differ). Some couples prefer separate bedrooms - so mention if possible.
  4. where does the pets sleep? Many avoid pets in beds/ bedrooms

How long can the pets be left for outings. (4+ hours? 6+ hours?)

You have some of this info. but some clarification would strenghten your listing.

As the sit is relatively short, many sitters would avoid due to work with end cleaning, as many sitters have a procedure where they start end cleaning 1-2 days before departure day. That means that for a short sit you can’t really open your suitcase before you start preparing to leave. If you are comfortable with it you could choose to say something like; for a short sit like this please just strip the beds and tidy after yourselves and we’ll take care of the rest. Or something. For a good sitter they will regardless leave the home in a nice state.

Either way you should vet your sitters properly and ensure to have a gooe match you feel good about. Don’t go forward if something feels «off» and always have a plan B.

Saving a listing can mean different things for different people. I save a listing when I am very interested in it, but it does not fit my current plans. I can then get notifications when it comes with new dates in the future

Your sit looks lovely, and the cat photos are great. As someone else said, the photo with toilet seat up is off putting.

I think you are just a victim of your country’s unpopular current leader. (I attended a protest yesterday for him just being in my country on a personal visit). So many people from abroad will not visit USA right now, which narrows down your pool of applicants.

@RedLassie
A fellow Scot I presume.
A friend of mine attended a protest in Edinburgh.
I sadly couldn’t as in a sit in Belgium.
I am definitely, not contemplating anything stateside for the foreseeable future.:smiling_face_with_tear:

yes indeed. I live in Edinburgh now, but I am a Teuchter.

Why would ‘many sitters’ start cleaning 1-2 days before the end of the sit? If you don’t make any mess in the 1st place there’s very little to be cleaned up. This is especially true on a short sit. We tread very lightly in a home so it’s a quick sort out of bedding/towels, a quick emptying of fridge and wipe down, then take the rubbish out and that’s about it. We clean as we go (as we do at home)…..

Then you basically do the same amount of work or more, I’d guess. Just at other times. Or maybe other sitters clean more than you do? I don’t know.

To be able to just «wipe-and-go» on departure day I clean the days before.

There could be multiple reasons, also not really related to cleaning (for instance if one has put away stuff in the home (to keep it safe, to de-clutter or :other: I have put away stuff on my current sit as it partly is in my way and partly stuff I’m not going to use and don’t want to clean). Then I put it back. For instance extra pillows, which I put back after cleaning of sheets.

As a sitter I have a bunch of good reviews but am only getting chosen 1 out of every 10 applications. So there are tons of sitters. As a canadian you couldn’t pay me to cross the US border these days. Many countries feel the same so I would say that is it. Unfortunately the USA is a very dicey country to visit right now. It is actually illegal to take sitting “jobs” without a visa but most countries just ignore this. Not the US though. Young europeans are spending time in detention for declaring they’re sitting.

I’m going to take a bit of time to address all these suggestions, but I just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone for your advice and input!

This is probably a dumb question, but…where should I put that? Should I write in the captions next to their pictures? Or in the main description?

Thanks! That one applicant wasn’t actually applying for this stay. Sent a long message about an upcoming trip. I got back to the other applicants pretty quickly, but they ended up going with another place.

I did get another application last night though :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice!