Canceling with out communicating

Hi All, fairly new here and would love other’s feedback. We were interviewing potential sits and had a candidate cancel with out sending a message explaining ,etc.
We also sit, as well as use sitters and this is something I would not do. Is this common practice? Thanks!!!

Do you mean they withdrew the application after a phone or video chat?

Or they withdrew their application after applying but before any communication between you?

Either way, it’s not canceling if a sit is not mutually agreed and accepted.

I have canceled applications also but I always communicate directly with the homeowner .

1 Like

Yes. Exactly. It is not a huge problem because we have other applicants. But we had done an interview and then I got nothing in response except for two days later they canceled their application.

Sorry that’s not good I had to cancel because i had covid and was not very well with it. But never cancel with out a good reason. Even then I would feel so bad .

1 Like

‘Cancel’ implies an agreement. The term you want to use is ‘withdraw’ otherwise it sounds like they’ve done something wrong. Sitters withdraw applications for any number of reasons. I don’t know if it’s unusual not to communicate more about it but if you’re really curious you could reach out to them.

3 Likes

As long as it’s not a confirmed sit, it’s fine and not uncommon.

However, if you were already communicating and getting to know each other or had an “interview” set up, it’s just rude without explanation.

4 Likes

How did you leave it with them?

For nearly all sits, I’ve had an “offer of first refusal” at the end of the call or soon thereafter. Fairly recently, a HO/PP said she had other people to speak to and would not be making a decision for at least a week. I said I had to make a decision by X date (early the next week). She said OK, she’d let me know by then. When she had not, I withdrew my application. I did send her a quick note and she tried to reset her deadline to the next day. Frankly, I saw it as a control thing and said I’d be pursuing other sits.

2 Likes

After the interview, it is most common for the next step to be that the home host accepts or declines the sitter. If they heard nothing from you I suspect that they presumed you were not interested so decided to move on to their next opportunity.

1 Like

I’d send a message before withdrawing my application explaining I’d accepted another sit or saying after thinking about I didn’t think I was a good fit to sit.

3 Likes

Us too. Just a quick “thanks but we’ve been offered something else“. It’s only polite.

1 Like

That is rather rude & disrespectful of them to just cancel without explanation- especially since you’d already had a call.
If we cancel an application we always give a reason- it is just courteous to do so, especially if there has been actual contact. Last week we cancelled 2 applications- one because it was read after 1 day but no response & subsequent follow up messages went unread. We cancelled after about 12 days with a note telling the host this was disrespectful. The other Sit looked good but during the video call we did not get a good feeling- the host was too demanding so we cancelled the next day with a polite msg that we felt it was not a good fit.
Other times we cancel if we confirm another sit for those dates. If there has been contact with the host we always write a note. If the application is still unread we just hit cancel.

2 Likes

I’m afraid it takes all sorts. Most home owners and sitters on this site are respectful and would send a quick message to say they’d confirmed another sitter or accepted another sit. There’s lots of competition now with the 5 applicant pause.
That said there are a few disrespectful owners and sitters but, in my experience, they’re the minority.
You have others to choose from so you shouldn’t have a problem

2 Likes