Christmas sitting

Hi @Pepper,
As a HS I can only say, it depends where the sitters want to be at Christmas.
Our family is looking for southern Europe even though I have family in the UK and can see many sits up for the Christmas & NY time.
I have often wondered if people have a backup plan if they can’t find a HS on this platform.
Good Luck

Every year, we hope to find sits, during both Christmas (and US Thanksgiving), close to where our families live. They are a 2 hour drive from us and we always spend these holidays together. Staying close by to them allows for a more relaxing and extended visit for us all.

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Sitter calendar availability

Still looking for a sitter. Our listing has been up for almost 2 months, so I hope it doesn’t come down to the wire. Getting a little nervous. :crazy_face:

HI @mattersfact2 have you been proactively reaching out to sitters and used the “boost your listing” option? I’m going to Direct Message you also.

Your recent sitter gave some lovely feedback …

“It was a pleasure taking care of Boodah and Bandit. They were very well behaved and they spent most of the day relaxing with me in the living room. Bandit may be older, but he has a lot of personality and really enjoys going for a walk” I would definitely recommend this sit!"

I will message you.

Are you sorted now? Where/when is your sit?

1 Like

@Cheri - if you click on @mattersfact2’s name in the forum, you’ll see a link to the listing.

1 Like

If you cancel the isting and repost, It will show as one of the first sits in a search again.

It’s a sweet sit and a wonderful part of the country.
Someone will step up.

1 Like

We’re having trouble finding a sitter from 18th-26th December and we think French residents may be the best bet because Covid travel rules may change. Are we being too cautious?

Hi @Chris1, and welcome to the forum, where I hope you’ll get great response to your question. I won’t address whether it should be someone from France, but would just say to rephrase it to be someone currently in France, if that’s the case, as many sitters may be in the country but not a resident. However, given you said you are having trouble finding a sitter, I will give you some feedback that will hopefully help.

In viewing your listing, you have feedback from one sitter. That sitter says they enjoyed sharing the home with your son. That is against THS rules, and would be a red flag for me. The son may not be there this time, but it would certainly be a concern for me.

Also you say a car is needed. Many sitters on the forum have explained how resourceful they are, without having a vehicle. You say you are in a village with various amenities, so some may feel that, for just a week, they would happily cocoon there. I would suggest that, if you still feel a vehicle is essential, that you expand your listing to explain why.

2 Likes

I’ve just accepted a lovely 4 day sit over Christmas in Winchcombe, Cotswolds, with 2 soppy lurchers and my own dog, Brecon, can come with me! Perfect to see Gloucester Cathedral on Christmas Day.

7 Likes

@LTD Winchcombe is lovely and has so many great walking routes surrounding it. We’ll be at home just over the hill in Cheltenham for Christmas itself. Then if all goes to plan we’ll be sitting in Moreton in Marsh, over a few hills in the opposite direction, just after Christmas.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Snowbird.

Hi Chris,
You may be limiting your options. We live in Spain and are driving to France for our Christmas sit. We have an EU covid pass so there is no issue with us entering the country. I believe France is now looking for covid booster evidence for over 65’s. There may be many like us willing to sit.

1 Like

Thanks Savvysitter
I’ll make a few changes.
:relaxed:

@Angela and @Amparo - thank you for the feedback. I’m hoping I can entice someone. I’m only going to be an hour away since we rented a cabin in the Smokys for Christmas for family driving in to join us there from Kansas and Pennsylvania. It’s just that we can’t take the cat, and we can’t leave the cat alone due to separation anxiety, so…

I may update the listing to include the use of a car, but with the only close airport to us being a small regional one, I can’t figure out how anyone is getting here unless they drive here or fly into that tiny regional airport. I was going to put up the tree for Christmas here too, but we had planned to take it to the cabin for our Christmas. I even went tree shopping so we could maybe have a tree here too, but none of the ones we liked were in stock. LOL I’m very picky on Christmas trees. I may go out again this weekend and look elsewhere for the right tree.

3 Likes

If you would like a Christmas sit in a little village in Cambridgeshire England please let me know as our confirmed sitter has just let us down.

Hi all!

I’m hoping you can help. We’ve been on trusted housesitters for quite a few months now and have secured a sitter for our date in April 2022 but noone for Christmas this year.

We’ve got everything else booked and are desperate for someone to look after our two beautiful dogs in the UK. If anyone can help out we’d greatly appreciate it.

If you’re interested please get in contact.

Many thanks,
Ash and Vi. X

Hello TH community. We are pretty new to the community and I am reading with interest about the struggle for Christmas housesits. We have had a sit posted for quite a while and still haven’t found someone. We feel that it needs to be someone who is already in the UK as we know that travel rules and COVID restrictions can change really fast. We have a lovely home in Edinburgh, with loads of amenities. We do home exchanges and are inundated with requests for that, but just haven’t had any luck with TH. Hoping that there is someone out there who can give our Aussie and kitty some love as well as enjoying a world class city.