Combining online work and pet care

Thanks for your input on my post, Vanessa. I feel I’ve found the sweet spot with looking after just a couple of dogs at a maximum or a couple of cats at most on each pet sit. That way, they get a lot of personal attention from me and I can still do my work when I need to. I once looked after 4 large rescue dogs and 4 rescue cats all in one sit and whilst I really enjoyed it, looking back it was a bit much for one person. I overestimated myself but I learned from it and have now found what works best for me to get the balance right.

1 Like

Sounds like you were very much an early adopter of the nomadic, remote working lifestyle before it really became ‘a thing’. I was definitely born for this lifestyle and would’ve got aboard far earlier if I’d known about these opportunities. Still, better late than never!

1 Like

@Chatsetchiens Thank you for taking the time to reply to people on your thread :slight_smile: I know that feeling of over committing … kudos to you for doing that on your own!! We learn and adapt as you say… and so pleased you’ve found your balance. Who would have thought 10 years ago even that we’d have these work from home opportunities opening up, accompanied by pet on sits and an awesome travel lifestyle combined… and with such relative ease! Long may it last!!

2 Likes

I totally agree. I feel very fortunate to have these opportunities. THS has been a game changer for me and as you say, long may this last as I don’t see myself giving this lifestyle up any time soon!

2 Likes

We had housesitters who “worked” online. They had never had hens on a house sit before and it was quite stressful for them. I think HS should only apply for sits that they are familiar with.

I agree that it’s best all round if people have some familiarity at the very least with the animals before caring for them. Ideally, a good level of experience beforehand. I personally do not take on any sits with chickens and birds in general even though I’ve had a fair few invitations to look after them. It’s just not for me but I know that it does appeal to plenty of people though. Sorry you appear to have had a less than desirable experience.

1 Like

Or maybe PP/HOs should only accept sitters with that animal-specific experience?
And why did you put “worked” in quotations?

3 Likes

@Katie In reply to your comment…I accepted the HS without chicken experience because we discussed that fact during the interview. They wanted to gain that experience and assured me that they would love to look after my small flock of 10 hens.
Also, “worked” was in quotations because they never revealed what sort of work they did. I often say “I’m working on the computer” but it is usually I’m researching, reading, posting…but it’s not actually work, it is based on my interests.