Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

Uh huh! :face_with_monocle: Can’t wait to hear about all the new improvements. Certainly not feeling them my end.

2 Likes

I started a sitting today in a very popular city in the UK. I asked the owner if she was aware of this new feature. The answer was No. She was not happy at all as she usually receives over a dozen applicants when she lists.

3 Likes

Do you know if she realised she could decline some or all of the first five to allow more applicants? Not ideal I know!

She didnt know anything at all about it. She has not listed for a while.
I told her about the way she could decline some or all and she thinks its madness.

3 Likes

As did the home-owner I just sat for. She’s about to list two new sets of dates that we can’t do, so I gave her a heads up to decline any sitters she wasn’t all that impressed by asap, so she can accept more applicants. She wasn’t that impressed that she couldn’t just wait a day or two and then choose.

3 Likes

@carpediem16 I agree completely. In the pre 5-Application-pause days I would often ‘apply’ in order to ask a question before applying formally. Now I am aware that my need to ask a pre-question by ‘applying’ blocks a space for another applicant. But I do not want to offer my immediate commitment to a sit where I need to know more- e g pics of bedroom/bathroom, bed size, any other Qs… and at the same time I still want to be in with a chance fot the sit before it gets paused!
This new policy of THS has forced us all to find alternative ways to try to secure a sit.
I agree that if hosts would post all relevent pics and give more details in their listing it would be easier to make quick applications.
I think the 5 application pause is detrimental to both hosts and sitters but if THS insists on keeping this policy we will all need to adapt accordingly.

4 Likes

It’s become nearly impossible for me to submit an application for a sit. I literally just received notification for a sit in NYC, and 10 minutes later it’s already paused because they received 5 applications. This has happened to me multiple times. Does anyone have a good strategy? I usually put a lot of thought into my introduction letter when I apply, but that’s no longer possible. Should I simply submit an application immediately, with a note that I’ll follow up with more information shortly…so I can at least get the initial application in before it’s paused. I’m finding I’m constantly on my phone refreshing my searches for fear that I will miss one. I typically like to really assess the situation, to make sure we’ll be a great fit…but you literally can’t take a moment to consider or you’re too late. It’s made applications to popular locations nearly impossible.

7 Likes

You will see numerous comments on this matter on the Conclusion of Pausing Application Test thread, including tips on how to work the system.

3 Likes

I’m in the same situation regarding New York. I have a template I can quickly customise/personalize so if I see a great sit I can be quick. But most are now full before i even see them now ( i have a favourite on EVERY New York listing I would accept so get alerts every time new dates go up. The saved searcheshave a delay so are next to uselessnow!) But the new rule and timezones mean its even more difficult to even apply.

4 Likes

I found a sit I liked. I spent time writing my application. When I clicked on submit button info popped up “Host is no longer accepting applications” or something to that effect. I am guessing the host stopped/paused the ad after 3 applications.

In such cases wouldn´t it be more appropriate to have that info popup when an applicant clicks on the apply button (or before) instead of letting applicants waste time applying for inapplicable ads?

4 Likes

Having just received the latest ‘Trusted Times’ today, it is disappointing to note that the Five Application Pause has not been included. Am I surprised? Not really. What happened @Ben-ProductManager to the reassurance you gave last month that all methods of communication would be used to inform ALL members of this very significant change? Once again the ‘Trusted Times’ is full of “feel good” stories instead of THS being transparent in the changes that have been made that are having a major negative impact on its members.

6 Likes

I posted a sit because I wanted to reach out to a specific person but because my sit is quite attractive I have received FIVE within the first 15 minutes of posting it. Now I am stopped from receiving more until I review everyone by THS. This is a terrible NEW feature. The person I reached out to cannot even apply. I must stop everything I am doing this moment and review and reject people. 5 is far too small of a number to begin blocking new applications. Very disappointed in this new ‘feature’.

7 Likes

Hi All :wave:,

We promised we’d update you as we introduce improvements to the release of the pausing applications process, so I’m pleased to be telling you that the second change goes live today!

One of the main frustrations you raised as sitters, was that you didn’t have time to write a well-thought-out and considered application because you felt pressured to send a quick application to be within the first 5 applications. You were finding on more popular sits, that by the time you sent your application, the listing was already paused with owners reviewing their first applicants.

Although this affected only a small proportion of our members applying for sits in prime locations (most sits do not reach the 5-application limit), we listened to your feedback and have prioritised this adjustment. From today on both the desktop and the App (iOS and Android) if you have started an application you will be allowed to submit it, regardless of the 5 limit.

Once you press “apply” and start writing your application you won’t need to rush your application and can take your time to craft and submit a well-thought-out application, which we know our pet parents and homeowners appreciate.

However, there are a couple of things you’ll need to remember:

• The system knows you have begun the application process when you hit the “apply” button and start writing your application, but if you refresh your screen, or close the browser tab you will lose your place and have to try again.
  • If the homeowner very quickly selects a sitter while you are still in the process of applying, you will see the message “reviewing applications”. Your application will not be considered in this rare case.

Submitting hurried applications was one of the top discussions both here in the forum and through the membership services team, so we are very pleased to have been able to implement this change quickly in response to your concerns.

Just a reminder too that we have already made the change to how the number of applications is displayed. Now you will see the exact number of applications, rather than a range. However this is currently only displaying on the desktop version, the App will be updated shortly (:crossed_fingers: this week) and we will let you know once this is live. We will continue working as a priority on the other adjustments.

Thank you

Ben and the Product Team

1 Like

I asked the same question weeks ago and was ignored

5 Likes

“Although this affected only a small proportion of our members applying for sits in prime locations”

Maybe but it has affected me at least 10 times.

5 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager , this is the problem. Many sits are quickly paused before you have a chance to submit your application, whether given the extra time or not.

If “the rules” could be changed to allow a listing to be posted for 24 hours before enacting the pause, you will have a satisfied sitter client base. This still forces quick action but does not lock a large portion of sitters out of the running. Please consider this.

13 Likes

Waking up at 3am to go for a pee. Seeing an alert for a sit in a destination in a different timezone you hope to visit next year. Breaking your sleep walk to look at it as you know (from the data you’ve been keeping) that it won’t be there when you wake up for real in 2 hours time. Realizing it’s not a good match, but thinking maybe you should send a message in case they have dates more in line with yours in the future and applications are just so much more difficult for these types of sits now. Understanding that if you do send a message that your actions will lock out other sitters who might be able to do the posted dates. Wrestling with your conscience about what is the ‘right’ thing to do. Feeling frustrated that this rule change might force you to act in a way that is both unfair to other sitters and pet parents because of the limited places and time frames. Not getting back to sleep because well…

12 Likes

@Timshazz send it to make contact then cancel app so others can apply.
If you want to make certain you can apply in the future. It’s not our fault that THS has forced us to do this.
Also send this message to THS members sevice , request credit or partial refund.

7 Likes

Hadn’t thought of that. Members are getting more and more inventive to get round the rule changes. I can’t see this improving anyone’s experience however.

6 Likes

@Timshazz We should be allowed to apply. we paid a membership and there are certain sits that appeal to us greatly and we are confident that the HO would consider us. Maybe we related to them on a personal level, used to live in the area , have always dream of seeing something in their area. Most of the sits I apply to aren’t highly desirable they just happen to appeal to me.

7 Likes