Courses on Taking Care of Livestock and Farm Animals

Hello there!

I absolutely love housesitting big rural properties and I have taken care of chickens and small livestock before but I would really like to have some sort of training in taking care of sheep, horses, cattle, etc for HO’s who are looking for people like this.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a short’ish course - preferably in the UK?

Many thanks!

6 Likes

No info for you, but I’d be interested in that, too. Might you have the opportunity to volunteer at a local animal sanctuary?

1 Like

Out of curiosity, just did a Google search for online courses on animal husbandry and got quite a few free as well as more formal certificate/degree options. Some of them look really interesting. Quite a few are based in the US and in the UK.
Perhaps making a few calls or email inquiries to some of the places listed?
Volunteering, offering to help at local farms and sanctuaries as Edith suggested might yield lots of opportunities in exchange for education and practical experiences.
I did sits this year with sheep and a variety of animals and fowl new to me and I was very upfront about my lack of experience but willingness to learn. Spent a few days overlap learning and it was great.
Do share how it goes.

6 Likes

A friend and I will be spending five days at an AirBnB farm stay with a large variety of animals. We chose it because they said we were welcome to be involved in hands-on care. And we’re paying for this “sit.” :joy:

3 Likes

Ooh that sounds great!
Shoot me details. I got invited to do something different too. Very exciting.

3 Likes

@Amparo This isn’t an invite — it’s a paying gig…but we’re the ones paying. On AirBnB, search for farm stay in Coopersburg, PA.

1 Like

Always so helpful Amparo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

You might also want to look into https://wwoof.org.uk

You can find host farms and volunteer to work for free accommodation I believe.

" The Basics

WWOOFers spend their days living with the host family and learning about agro-ecological and sustainable farming methods through first-hand experience, with no money exchanged between hosts and WWOOFers. WWOOFing is a way to learn practical farming and gardening skills, be part of the organic agricultural movement and experiencing the heart of its culture.

As a member of WWOOF UK you will be able to contact host farms in UK and arrange WWOOF stays. Membership is valid for one year from the day you join.

WWOOF is a global network with hosts in more than 130 countries. If you would like to get to know the farming cultures of other countries, please visit wwoof.net.

No previous experience is required to join, although you must be an adult to sign up for your own account.

WWOOFing provides you with a way to learn about organic food, agriculture, and sustainable ways of living. You will also have the opportunity to meet local people, make friends and create new connections with the land."

4 Likes