Declined sittings, feeling really frustrated

Hello Macumay ~ I found that first “DECLINED” with zero feedback was like a sting.
So true. I have also received some beautiful replies with a “DECLINED,” and that felt good; real communication, and understanding.

I am brand new to TH, too. I imagine we will learn, ask for support here, and find our way to our desired Sits, soon! I wish you well.
Aloha, Claire

3 Likes

All really excellent points, thank you, DEB!

Thank you, Mars, YES! A wee personal message, please, with the decline.

After a good hour, minimum, of staring lovingly into the eyes of their every precious animal, enjoying the beauty of their home on display in many photos, and
writing a thoughtful application and invitation to connect and share a very personal exchange, like living in their home, and loving their pet family, …

I find a personal message a very important, and comforting way to soften the decline, which is a disappointment.

I love knowing their needs are met by another Sitter, at least. I can celebrate that.
I trust they know if their animals can welcome the joy of my dog and I staying.
Anything at all is better than no message.
I need to know if it is “UNSUITABLE” or a “LIKE” + “Potential” Sit in the Future.

But, a blank page with “DECLINED” feels like a phone* being slammed down, energetically.

*The telephones with the curly cords, and all, from The 70’s. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just one item i noticed- this sentence makes it sound like you are travelling with your own dog possibly. You might want to adjust it to not be specific to “chilling with your dog” to “chilling with dogs/animals”:

“…opportunity to do some of the activities I love like taking long walks, chilling with my dog and doing some yoga just in a different environment without the pressure or the hussle lived within a tradicional 3 week vacation.”

1 Like

Hey Deb,
Yes I’m feeling better, I’m getting responses and I even got an interview - sadly they went with another sitter but left the door open to contact me as soon as they go away again.
I made some adjustments on my applications, I’m still appling to both long and smaller sits since I don’t what to get to picky at least until. I get my first one! I’m doing the research for each location good tip to mention this while applying.

I’m also adding a picture of the portrait I’ve made of my dog… I might do a few if the sit is long enough as a gesture. It’s may come across as a bribe… but haha if it works it works!

Thanks again for all the tips and comments I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress.

2 Likes

A portrait would be much appreciated by home owners, and not considered a bribe at all. Maybe you could adjust that photo as it’s a bit small?
It will happen!

2 Likes

Hello Friend, Macumay ~ I have good news. I was frustrated, like not being picked for a sports team, just standing there, feeling unworthy. I sent out 17 applications and some did not reply - at all. Until today! :slight_smile: :four_leaf_clover: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pray:t4:

BUT, then I decided I will get a confirmed sit someday, and I will do all I can until I do. Well, I just received 4 beautiful replies, one with apologies for their delay in replying (they were visiting grandchildren, fair enough!), invitations to sit, and such generous and beautiful notes.

I have hope. I share this ripple with you. May you find that sense of expectancy after sharing your honesty here. It is quite the process. We are growing.

I look forward to your joyous celebrations of success.
Thank you for being here, Macumay.
Aloha, Love, Claire + Tarkina, Wonder + Assistance Dog

7 Likes

Hi there
I am sure it can feel discouraging to not get any positive replies.

First off, many owners are happy to take sitters from abroad. My husband and I started traveling again more extensively the beginning of this year, and our first sit we booked for Greece while still in the US and the next three were all booked in different countries. Almost all of my international sits were booked when I was in a different country since I have been doing this.

Many people are happy to take single sitters. In fact, I often see listings asking for single female sitters specifically for one reason or another. It is usually that their animal may be afraid of men. I also think many people prefer to have just one person in their house, and if they are a single woman themselves especially, they likely prefer another woman.

If you see listings that say they prefer a couple and you are applying anyway trying to convince them to accept just one person, that may work at times, but most times, that could result in a rejection; so whether or not you want to do that is up to you. I personally don’t apply to sits where I don’t meet specific requested criteria of the desired sitter–single instead of a couple, of a certain age,etc…

Your profile seems to do a good job of explaining why you want to sit during your trip and it gives off a friendly vibe. Even though you say earlier that you are traveling solo and will miss your dog, when you say ‘chilling with my dog’ later on, that might be confusing as it sounds like you will be traveling with him. So you might want to change that.

You might want to give a bit more detail about your pet care experience, and how you managed the needs of the high energy dogs or the senior dogs,etc… For example, I see in one of your references your friend says how her dog was very destructive with chewing on things,etc…and while under your care, it didn’t do that at all. The owners will likely read references, especially since you don’t have any reviews, but a nice robust profile can certainly work in your favor. My husband and I have a pretty long profile and we have always gotten a lot of positive feedback on how detailed it was. I have no doubt it is one of the reasons we almost always get offered any sit to which we apply.

Without seeing the types of sits you are applying for and what sort of messages you are sending, it would hard to be say whether that is factoring in somehow (some of the things owners have said here about the types of things sitters say in their applications was very surprising to me). But just a few general ideas:

Even though it can be hard to convey ‘tone’ in written communication, I find that you can definitely pick up on people’s energies through what they write. I imagine a lot of sitters’ application messages can come off as a bit ‘thirsty’. They are really trying to sell themselves and convince the owner to pick them, rather than conveying a more ‘confident’ vibe. So be mindful of that when crafting your message. I personally only write about a paragraph or so and that has always seemed to work for me–we have almost 60 reviews here.

Make sure you are reading the entire listing and really consider if it is the appropriate sit for you, if you believe you meet the criteria of the type of sitter they are looking for.

Make sure to personalize your message and show that you actually read it. Like I mentioned before I tend to write pretty short applications. But I always address at least one thing in the listing that seems important to the owner, and how we can meet that need or honor that request.

Don’t take rejections personally. A HO can only pick one person so it is really more about focusing in on who they think is the best match than ‘rejecting’ everyone else.

The good news about the UK in particular is there are a lot of sits there so you will have plenty to apply to.

While it is nice to get a personalized message with a ‘rejection’ you might not always get that… don’t take it personally. I imagine most owners are not deliberately trying to be ‘rude,’ they just may not realize a sitter might prefer to receive one.

And I think the lack of responses is merely a reflection of human nature in general, particularly fear of a potentially uncomfortable exchange–being asked questions they don’t want to answer, getting a rude response for the ‘rejection,’ etc…

Also, when you say ‘feedback’ I don’t think a HO should have to offer any specific feedback on why they didn’t choose someone, though they sometimes may.

Just keep at it…everyone has to start somewhere

6 Likes

What a brilliant idea to create a portrait, if you have a skill USE IT!!! Forget about it being a bribe, it makes you memorable, and you are only doing what you are talented in to begin with and what you are passionate about. I think it is a genius idea, and so nice and giving of you, and that will be what they remember. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would be totally happy to have anyone from anywhere sit for me. But I only go away for a few days at a time, so it wouldn’t be suitable for you unless you were moving on to another part of the UK. I did have a German family last year who were travelling the country and spent 3 days at my house.

Hello my friends!
As I promised, HERE ARE THE UPDATES
After my initial frustration, many many many applications sent I’ve been chosen not for one, but two sits during the weekend :heart_eyes:. I’ve also started to get some notes and messages from some of the automatic declines, so I guess the theory of the 5 applicants limit is close to reality.
I had the most wonderful interview with one of my HO, similar to what we’ve been talking here, to come to the conclusion that somehow even through a call you get the feeling that the type people that are willing to take part of this community is most likely to be great.
Thanks to all for the tips, the support and advice.

5 Likes

Yay!! Congrats on getting two sits. That’s wonderful news. Thanks for letting us know.

You’re right:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Hi , I feel the same :frowning: I hope it gets better , I stay positive:)
It’s sad that some owners just decline, but I understand meaby they get to many post.
For me it is difficult to wright in another language

Celebrating with you, this update, and progress. Well done, Macumay!

I am so happy, so relieved, + so pleased to hear you are rolling in the beauty of the potential of being a Trusted Housesitter; your vision being realized.

I am sure it is going to a very successful time for you, Macumay.

1 Like

I was reading this thread and so happy to see that things are moving in the right direction for you :slight_smile: I am a new HO on here and just wanted to say that I really don’t think it is OK to reject sitters without a message to explain why. I rejected one on the basis that she wanted to bring her own dog with her to the sit, and this would have unsettled our dog. I would never decline any application without a message accompanying it. I have also found that this is a wonderful community to be part of. We have not found a sitter yet, but all the people I have corresponded with have been so lovely and helpful. Hope you have a lovely summer in Europe and that the sits keep on coming in!

7 Likes

It’s my understanding once reviews are submitted they are locked and. It editable unless there were legal reasons to do so.

1 Like

Do not feel bad I have over 20 5 star reviews and I still get rejected so just treat it as clearly it was not meant to be and forget about it there will be plenty more.

Every time I am declined for a sit I reply to the decline ( as mentioned above I have 20+ 5 star sits yet I still receive declines )

“Sorry to hear that I have not been selected for your sit. In my focus on continuous improvement can I ask where my application fell short, hopefully your feedback will assist me with being more successful in the future.”

The above reply achieves several things

• potential for the pet owner to offer constructive feedback as to why my application fell short
  • let’s you also often realise ( instead of assuming the worst, that in fact the reason for choosing someone else was unrelated to your application, that they chose someone possibly:

a) closer,
b) had sat for them in the past,
c) or some other reason.

6 Likes

@SafePaws Very well said! :clap:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

@SafePaws ,

What percentage of hosts reply to your follow up message? I think I’m going to take this suggestion, although I don’t expect to receive a reply.

I was just declined for a sit that had just been posted. No note and the decline came immediately. I would have loved the sit. The host is now back down to 0 applicants. Getting that immediate decline felt really bad.

1 Like

Excellent. Rejection is going to happen. We all get a no regardless of how wonderful we are. We give them too.
Personally never take it personal, never inquire why either. I’m not for everyone and I’m not trying to please everyone.
I just keep swinging till it hits. :wink:
:billed_cap: :baseball: Batter up!

4 Likes