Declined sittings, feeling really frustrated

Great tips for the applying message, I started short and personalized but I added a small introduction (just one phrase) about the adventure I’m headed to, thanks to some of the tips in the thread. What I initially thought as a disadvantage become some thing that made my application stand out (at least from the amount of responses I got after making this edit) and allowed my to come across as friendly adventurous and easy going

I think than most of us aren’t expecting feedback or explanations why, but is understandable why getting a decline with no note feels a bit disrespectful and hurts - even a " sorry already got a sitter, best of luck" is enough. Specially when there’s time and dedication put on each apply. But as many said, is part of the deal rejection is going to happen and some people are more considered than others, luckily as I said before most of this community is awesome so we need just to keep going.

3 Likes

Hey, got a reply straightaway! They liked my app but are having work done on the house and wanted someone local who could pop in to see the current state of the home. They chose the local sitter but she asked me to consider applying to future sits after renovation is complete next winter.

4 Likes

After initial excitement, I was also soon very disheartened from being declined - so much so I haven’t been back on here for many weeks. I am ready to give it another shot and would also like to read the helpful points below. I would also be really interested to see some examples of what people put on their applications- perhaps I’m not giving enough, so it would be great to see some successful ones to refer to.

3 Likes

Hi Helen, if you link your forum profile to your sitter profile, people here can give you feedback on how to improve it.

2 Likes

I think so too :+1:

Hi, here the same, nobody reply’s, must be my profile :frowning:

Hello all,
When i view my profile, there is just a general url visible:

So, copying and pasting it here in order to have others look at it doesn’t really make much sense, unless I’m doing something wrong… Anyone knows about this please?

Kind regards,
Karsten

1 Like

Hi @Karsten. Welcome to our community. I added your sitter link to your forum profile for you. Happy sitting!

1 Like

I suggest deleting most of the childhood photos and the mirror selfie.
Write in the 1st person. Third person is off-putting.

1 Like

@Karsten Another welcome to the community!

It is lovely to have you here and I enjoy the diversity of the community as I quite like your childhood pet photos as it shows you have been an avid animal lover with pet experience since childhood, but that’s just me!

As I said we are all different so feedback from the community is important and I am sure that other members will also comment with their ideas to help you.

This help desk link might also offer more ideas:

Any questions let us know and Good Luck with getting started on your pet-sitting adventures.

1 Like

Thank you Katie, agree…3rd person was a guess but 1st is way more personal. :slight_smile:

@Karsten , Welcome! I like your profile and your pics, including those from your childhood. What you need to get started are character references. Ask at least three, or better, five or more people who have known you for a while, the longer the better, to write letters of recommendation. Also ask those whose pets you have watched to write you a reference. Then, apply locally, short duration, last minute and offer to meet them ahead of time, when possible. Here is some reading material for you.

(https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/nobody-wants-me-advice-for-a-first-time-house-sitter/

Have faith, it will happen!

1 Like

Thank you so much for this kind message Mars!
I accidentaly stumbled into the topic of Declined sittings
when i saw the posibility to post your profile for peer review. :slight_smile:
Good advise to do some short last minute local thing first.
Currently waiting for the first three references.
I will surely read the info in the link…!

Warm regards,
Karsten

3 Likes

I’m mid 30s male single travelling with my own dog. But hey we just made it a full year on the road!

You don’t know the pain.

It takes a while to build up the profile but once we did we have had better luck. I am booked into the fall. I am still sure my success rate for applying is far lower than yours.

1 Like

Welcome @Karsten. @mars gave you some great advice to start with local and last minute sits to build up your feedback. I joined a year ago and it took me 23 applications to get my first sit. Just completed my 12th! Just keep applying.
Good luck.

1 Like