Do you allow sitters to have other guests stay in your home?

This is new for us and our first HO sit posting. Since this sit is for a long period of time, do you allow sitters to have other guests in your home during their stay? What kind of rules have you put around it if you do allow them to invite family or friends to come during their house sit stint?

6 Likes

Welcome 5247 :wave:

1 Like

We have family in England and Scotland.
We always ask can they call in for lunch coffee etc.
Several occasions the HO has suggested they can stay over
Without us asking.
Very kind of them.

8 Likes

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always said to sitters that they can have friends/family come over to visit/lunch/dinner. I said no parties, no large gatherings, no smoking and any guest must be 100% respectful of the pets.

To be honest, I hadnā€™t thought about overnight stays as I assumed any guests would be local to the house and not need an overnight stay. If anyone was going to stay overnight, then I would deem them to be part of the sitter application and therefore would want to know who they were. I would expect to be told about it prior to accepting the sit. If I was asked after the sit was agreed upon, then unless full information was given to me, I would refuse.

13 Likes

Totally sounds reasonable. The applicants have only asked for their immediate family members to come out for Christmas (mother or adult kids, etc.). So they are not local to our home. Thank you!

2 Likes

So far, weā€™ve always met friends at a nearby pub, park, or restaurant and itā€™s not a problem for us. Weā€™ve had a few HOs tell us we are welcome to have family come to stay, even over night. We havenā€™t taken them up on the offer yet.

Regardless, I think itā€™s totally up to you, and if youā€™re new to THS, you might be more comfortable asking that no one else come into the house at first.

6 Likes

Great question! On our very first week long local sit we were told by the homeowners that no one was allowed in the house other than us. We did a number of local sits in the city where our disabled son lives an hour away from our home. Our second sit was during the Thanksgiving weekend and I asked the HO if we could have our son for dinner and she graciously agreed. On the next few sits I asked if our son could join us for dinner and they agreed and some of the homeowners graciously offered for him to spend the night which we so appreciated. It was always something I dreaded asking though and feel itā€™s totally up to how comfortable the homeowner feels.

4 Likes

As a HO I allowed my sittersā€™ son to stay overnight but it was not a good idea as I came home to find bedding had not been washed and doona was hidden in my linen cupboard and not on the bed.
As a sitter I have asked prior to a sit whether I could have guests visit during the day. HO have agreed to this.

1 Like

I often ask if my mum can come and stay for two or three days when we are sitting, the answer has always been yes.
I only ask after we have been accepted as itā€™s really not a deal breaker. If we were to be told no, thatā€™s absolutely fine, and weā€™d still want the sit. I can usually tell whether it will be ok after ā€˜meetingā€™ the HO

9 Likes

Hi and welcome to TrustedHousesitters and to our community forum @5247 what a great opening contribution and question, we see there have been a number of responses already.

As a new owner member please do ask any questions you may have. We have forum members from around the world some new, also many experienced and we are all about sharing and supporting one another to have the best possible pet and housesitting experiences for our pets and each other.

Our Membership Services Team are also available with help and advice should you need it.

Enjoy the conversations and connecting with other members and welcome once again.

Angela & The Team

2 Likes

I had one HO, after she learned one of the reasons Iā€™d applied was because my 24-yo daughter worked and lived nearby in Wash DC, tell me that I should feel free to have her visit and even stay over, which was a lovely gesture as while Iā€™d have asked if she could visit, I would never have asked if she could stay over. It turned out well for the sit as the cat completely fell in love with my daughter and clearly preferred her to me! :smiley:

10 Likes

As HO we state in our Welcome Guide that we do not allow guests unless it has been discussed with us prior to the sit. We donā€™t like a lot of people coming to our house and we vet the sitter, not others. There are plenty of places nearby where they could meet someone, but we prefer to only have the sitter in our home while we are away.

9 Likes

I thought this was the normal approach when sitting & would never even think of asking an owner if it was ok.

I

1 Like

as sitters always included as part of our discussion with HOs is whether we can have guests over.We are fine with whatever the answer is: yes, no, or only during the day. And we are sure to let the HOs know that we are happy with whatever the answer is. Itā€™s simply one more piece of information that is useful to have

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t like other people than the agreed on pet sitters in my home and would expect to be asked beforehand whether any visits of ā€šoutsidersā€˜ were planned during the stay.

6 Likes

As an owner I prefer if there is going to be a visitor the sitter ask first as I have a pet that gets stressed by small children. I also want to make sure they are non smokers. I have only had one occasion where sitter asked if her grandson could say and I agreed it would be fine as he was older. It ended up that he didnā€™t come. I am cautious regarding who stays so wouldnā€™t want any additional folks that I havenā€™t spoken too. Just meā€¦

4 Likes

Great question @5247! Iā€™ve only asked a homeowner if I could have a guest once. I was on a month long sit down the road from my cousin, so asked if it would be all right to have her in for a cup of tea, etc. The homeowner had no problem with it, and it turned out my cousins dog and the dog I was sitting became great friends so we enjoyed loads of walks & cups of tea together. I was so grateful to the HO for this, my cousin and I live about 3500 miles away from each other so it was such a treat to have that time together.

I donā€™t think I would have asked about any guest that wasnā€™t a family member, or for an overnight stay. Not sure I would feel comfortable asking and wouldnā€™t want to put the homeowner in an awkward position if they were uncomfortable with the idea.

3 Likes

Hello @Thatcookster Welcome to our community forum we are so glad you have joined. Thank you for contributing to this topic of conversation itā€™s so important to have a view from both sides of our community.

Thank you again and enjoy connecting with other members and some great conversations.

Angela & the Team

Like other sitters, I would never ask if someone else can stay. I do, however, ask if friends or family members can visit for a coffee or lunch. I make it clear who will be coming. All HOs have been happy to agree and some have actually said that they could stay the night but I have never wanted that responsibility of others staying.
I have a funny story. I had arranged a sitting and my sister and partner decided to link up for a few days and had booked a room in the local pub. We had been introduced to the neighbours upon our arrival. My sister arrived a few days later but the pub was shut and she couldnā€™t contact the landlord. We went to the neighbours to ask if they had an alternative number. The neighbours said ā€œOh just let them stay with you, Kā€¦(the HO). wonā€™t mindā€ Thankfully, the landlord eventually arrived and my sister could check in. We never told the HO what the neighbour had offered in their absence!

3 Likes