Elderly animals

This is happening for the 3rd time. Can HO let us know the animal is elderly and starting to have problems.
In my sit now, I have an elderly cat with problems. I met them yesterday to start the sit today. They left on vacation and she is messaging from airport that cat has not eaten for 3 days. She is giving info on the medications.
I had a cat that I nursed the whole sit waiting for parents to be put to sleep. A very difficult situation.
Now on I will not take any animals over 7-8 years.

1 Like

That’s simply not fair on the part of the HOs. We’d report it or log that with support as you’re supposed to declare medical issues. Hope sit works out okay @Grandma & as ever, please review them with info for any future sitters.

4 Likes

@Grandma sorry to hear about this situation- owners are required to make the sitter aware of any illness or medication needs regardless of the age of the cat . It’s very unfair that you were not made aware of the cat’s health condition before the sit started .

Had you previously discussed with the owner how they will pay for any vet treatment if needed ?

Since the owner knew about this before leaving and didn’t disclose the information if it is going to severely impact on the stay (administration of medicines, vet visits, time to look after poorly pet ) and based on you having had a previously stressful sit with a cat at the end of its life . You have the right to tell the owner that they will need to make alternate arrangements and ask member services to back you up on this quoting the T&Cs

5.2. The following applies only to Pet Parents. You will:

5.2.1 be responsible for vaccinating your own pet(s) and notify your Sitter should your pet(s) have any illnesses or ailments;”

I hope it all works out .

2 Likes

I don’t even have vet info

Oh @Grandma :astonished:Is this sit through THS ?

I personally would not have taken the sit without that information. Was this a last minute sit ?

Has the homeowner given you the Welcome Guide ? The information should be in there .

Are you aware of the THS clause 5.3.5 that says the sitter has to pay for vet fees upfront ?

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/sitter-has-to-pay-veterinary-expenses-up-front

You do need to insist that the pet owner gives you the registered vets details and confirmation of how they will pay for any emergency treatment . If they refuse to do so , give them notice that you will be leaving in 24 hours to give them time to come back and look after their poorly pet or to make alternate arrangements for their care.

You should also advise member services of the situation so you can find a replacement sit.

Really not fair of an owner to leave you in this predicament of caring for a sick pet without disclosing this prior to your arrival
and without important information like the registered vet contact details.

For context, we have happily accepted and completed several sits with elderly pets; some that had medical conditions that were being managed with medication. In each case the owners were open and upfront with everything disclosed in the listing and their needs and care thoroughly discussed with us prior to confirming the sit . Including vet details and confirmation from the owner that they had an account set up so no fees were to be paid by us upfront.

Thanks for info

Hi @Grandma

You’ve had great advice from @Cuttlefish and @Silversitters here - I’d highly recommend following their recommendations.

I’m going to pop you a DM, please drop me a line when you have a moment.

Thanks!

Jenny

1 Like

@Grandma I have no advice. I just want to send you virtual hugs, I can’t imagine how hard it must be.

3 Likes