Fully Nomadic Sitters

Hello! I’m curious for those sitters who are fully nomadic. Do you have a home you own/rent still while traveling full time?

If not, what do you use for mail purposes and the address you fill out for any documents, etc.?

Happy travels!

4 Likes

I know there are quite a few fulltime sitters who are nomadic on here.
We follow one couple on Youtube (they are also THS members) and they have a ton of great tips about mail forwarding, health insurance (in case you are from a country that doesn’t have national health coverage) etc. The name of their youtube channel is GoWithLess.

12 Likes

Hello!

My partner and I have been full-time sitters since July 2020. We use the address of a family member for post/official documents.

5 Likes

We gave up having a permanent address in September 2020. We gave our flat to an agent to let and have been of no fixed abode ever since. Any post, of which there is very little nowadays, goes to my brothers address. He opens everything and lets me know of anything that needs any attention.

1 Like

Hi @eandnhousesit. There’s another conversation about mail services, visas, etc. for full-time nomads. You can find it here:

I’m not sure it addresses your specific needs, as the available services and issues involved differ from one country to another. But I hope that thread gives you food for thought if nothing else.

2 Likes

I’m currently full time and have rented my home which, in addition to a pension, brings in a good income. My post is redirected to my brother but can only be done so until January 2025 at which stage I shall likely use his address if I’m still full time nomadic.

6 Likes

This is great. I’m going to check out their YouTube channel now, thank you!

1 Like

We use my parents’ address but for the most part we avoid getting any snail mail. Paying rent for a place that we don’t live in or having our own place empty would not make a lot of sense for us. We are currently renting out our flat and are also using a part of that money to fuel our nomadic lifestyle. There’s also mandatory health insurance where I have the flat and I prefer not being registered there and having my travel insurance (I save more than 170 EUR every month).

6 Likes

We have a house with a one bedroom basement apartment. We gave our tenant reduced rent and she looks after everything for us while we are gone.

5 Likes

I’ve been nomadic since May 2022.

I own a multifamily. Other units are rented out, my unit is airbnbed and I pay someone I trust to basically manage it. I know roughly when I will come back and for how long so I don’t book those dates.

5 Likes

Another full time nomad here. We have been wandering the world for almost 8 years now. First five were on the high seas on our 40 foot yacht. I used my brothers address for mail. When the pandemic struck we sold Ruby Tuesday and bought an apartment in Bournemouth which is short term let and run by my wonderful team. I do all the admin remotely. It works for us but can be frustrating sometimes when things happen and you can’t get back to see for yourself.
We spend three weeks every six months back there sorting everything that has gone wrong. That’s the negative. The positives are the time spent with the gorgeous animals we have met over the years, the friends we have made, the extra income, the travelling and the anticipation of “where to next”.

8 Likes

Hi

I joined THS in Nov 2021 and since the middle of Dec 2021 I have been a full-time nomadic cat sitter. I have done 23 cat sits in the UK with THS and 2 in France with another pet sitting site. I also enjoyed some short holidays ranging in length from 1 night to 7 nights at times when I did not confirm cat sits.

I do not own/rent a home. I have put the majority of my belongings in storage in two countries in Asia which is where I lived for a long time. I now have a small storage locker in London because I can keep seasonal clothing (winter clother for part of the year, summer clothes for part of the year) and some other stuff (books etc) there when it is not needed.

Regarding addresses, it really depends what it is for. Like many others, I basically do not need to receive any snail mail anymore. As my life (and belongings) are spread over 4 countries, there are several addresses that I can use.

6 Likes

We’ve been fully nomadic for nearly 3.5 years now. it can be awkward seeing doctors and dentist and getting access to a printer sometimes, but the benefits greatly outweight the hassles. Not looking forward to eventually having to settle in one place (and we don’t know where it will be).

10 Likes

Welcome back @EdGallagher it’s been a while, we’ve missed you … looking forward to catching up on your THS travels

3 Likes

That all sounds very complicated but if it works for you…

2 Likes

It’s not all that complicated and it has to work! I have no choice at the moment. It would be very nice to have a beautiful home to call my own and have all my belongings in one place but I don’t have that option for now so for I will enjoy being a full-time nomadic cat sitter.

Btw which bit did you think sounds very complicated?

8 Likes

Another nomadic sitter here. Been on the road permanently since 2019 and the thought of “settling” unnerves me lol Everything I own is in a storage unit and I think it is money well spent. Though I could have probably replaced everything twice over
during this period, my personal items and treasured possessions cannot be replaced so I’m happy with it. Mail which is very, very rare now is sent to a friend’s address. Haven’t had any in months as all done online. There are mail services that you can use that keep it and if required, open and advise you of the contents and forward if necessary, otherwise they are simply a postal address. A mailing address is the very least thing you need to concern yourself with when a house-sitting nomad :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I hit the road in 2018, fully nomadic. I have been a long time traveler but always maintained a home and sold it in 2015. As I embraced the freedom of not being anchored to possessions, it was and still is a process that is not a straight linear event, it zigs and zags a lot, I learned that much of what I thought difficult was not. Since I travelled before (as a never present home owner) I realized I could do this using a family member’s address as an “anchor”. Rarely get mail there but it serves purpose for things that require a legal address, like banking, etc.
At the moment I have nothing in storage anywhere. Just a big brand new suitcase with stuff I realize I really didn’t need to bring :slight_smile: I have distributed all the memorabilia and family “treasures” to my family so there will be nothing to go through in later years.
Clean, simple, unattached and uncomplicated is how I prefer to live.
At the moment I am in a zag, establishing myself in a foreign country because well it suits me at the moment for longer term goals I am visualizing. Still have my “address” in my country of origin.

13 Likes

Having stuff in 2 countries and your life & belongings spread over 5. I’ve rented out my home and sold most of my furniture but have lots of my ‘stuff’ (kitchen equipment, bedding, books, clothes, tv, chairs, dining table etc) locked away in my attic room. I also have some items in friends’ loft and other friends are using my car

4 Likes

I am used to it because I spent most of my life spread out between 3-4 countries. Your attic is the equivalent of my storage unit but yours is in-house/free.

2 Likes