Future Housesitting

With the Tier 4 restrictions confining us to Kent for the foreseeable future we are having to carefully consider our future housesitting lifestyle. It looks more and more likely that we will have to find somewhere to settle long-term.

Any other sitters seriously considering their futures?

3 Likes

@Jon-JWalking we really don’t know what to do. We are currently in Airbnb but we are going to have to leave on the 1st Jan. We have got a sit booked from 3rd Jan for a couple of weeks but they are meant to be travelling to South Africa so really not sure they will be travelling. They want to review the situation on the 27th Dec but we are thinking we probably need to sort ourselves out before that time.
In a really difficult situation. Thinking we are going to end up in national lockdown after Christmas so feel we need something more long term again.
Are you housesitting or renting at the moment?

3 Likes

Just finishing a sit today then renting Airbnbs through to mid January. Housesit booked then but expect it to be cancelled.

1 Like

Really my heart gos out to you

2 Likes

@Jon-JWalking so what are your thoughts?
Are you going to cancel your January sit to try and find something more long term or move to your Airbnb and get through Christmas and see what the situation is then.
I have to admit I thought with London and South East locked down there would be more rentals available around the rest of the country but I can’t believe how many in our price range still seem to be booked up.

2 Likes

We’re currently in a Premier Inn for a couple of nights before our Airbnb. Still undecided what to do but verging on cancelling the sit and finding somewhere for 3 months. Very expensive though but we don’t seem to have a lot of choice. Rethinking our whole travelling/housesitting/nomadic lifestyle currently

I volunteer at my local shelter and foster pets through a rescue. You may want to consider doing something like that, so you can get your pet fix without making a long-term commitment to a pet and curtailing your travels. It is very rewarding to help facilitate their adoptions. Of course, if you do get a pet, you can be both a HO and a sitter once travel opens up!

3 Likes

@Jon-JWalking Thank goodness for Premier Inns, we have spent a lot of time in those over past 6 months!!! :rofl::joy: Even thinking if we settle back down at some point going for the purple colour theme to make us feel at home. :joy:
Have you ever tried asking on Airbnb if they would accept a cheaper price for a longer stay? And if so how did they react? We keep seeing properties that are expensive but wonder if they would take a cheaper price if they were guaranteed a 3 month income rather than just an odd night here and there. It makes sense to us but not sure if they would think we were being cheeky!

2 Likes

Very interesting. Never done it before but will certainly look into it now. You would have thought hosts would be pleased to have any bookings at the moment.

2 Likes

@anon36831737 that is good to know. We can see that some are offering a monthly discount but are still very expensive.
Might just have to try asking and see what they say.
We have a two bed property in Worcester that we rent to a family, they have been there for five years so we don’t want to evict them during this time, it doesn’t seem fair. However we are trying to find rentals around the same price as the rent we receive from them!! It is proving impossible!!!

3 Likes

We love a Premier Inn, in fact I think they should have a loyalty card for regular users. Great comfy beds. Like the idea if decorating in purple though, that’d be great.

Never booked longer than a month in an Airbnb but they are always cheaper if you go for the month.

1 Like

Unbelievable that prices aren’t dropping isn’t it? Surely owners are struggling to rent places out and would just be pleased to get a booking.

2 Likes

I can’t believe how many are booked out over January.
Either there are a lot more people in a similar position to us than you would think or there are a lot of city workers deciding to extend their Christmas break and work from home somewhere different away from tier 4 :thinking:

2 Likes

It does make you wonder doesn’t it? Perhaps there really are loads of homeless nomads out there although I suspect not. I think a lot of Airbnb hosts are just taking their places off the market. We know a few who have just booked out the next few months to avoid guest contact.

1 Like

Had a couple of Premier Inns cancelled now so it’s getting worse!

They will be taking into account staff wages safety
Balancing out number of guests etc .
Hope something works out.

Oh no @Jon-JWalking how are you getting on?
Can you find premier inns open in lower tiers?

2 Likes

Have you tried Borrowmydoggy. Not sure if it is still going during Covid. We get our fix thru a charity in Australia which walks dogs for older and disabled people. That and sitting in and around our home. Feeling lucky in WA compared to the world.

2 Likes

There is one in Southern Ireland .
Vsnedden.

1 Like

Hi. Not sure to understand each single words of these exchanges but I get most of it.
Have you thought of hostels or university résidences?

2 Likes