Has anyone ever received reimbursement from insurance for a cancelled sit or support for other serious issues?

After our most recent pet sit, I do not see any way to actually collect on the insurance for cancelled sits. Has anyone actually received reimbursement? From where I am sitting, this seems like a scam. We have now had two cancelled sits we have not been able to get reimbursement or an explanation as to the contradiction of the policy and THS process.

We were at a pet sit when the owner cancelled their trip the day before they were to depart. Our flights were $1800 R/T so this was a long distance from home. The home owner contacted THS to cancel so we could get reimbursement for another accommodation. I then received an email that I had to agree to the cancellation but if I did, I was not honoring the Code of Conduct. I was never offered to see if there was another pet sit to move us. The insurance policy states if you mutually agree to cancel the sit, the insurance is void. It also states we must give THS an opportunity to find us another pet sit. Despite me repeatedly asking for clarification, my question was completely ignored. I was told they were escalating for review and requested documentation.

After providing all the information, I didn’t hear back from THS. I reported the problem on Wed. and we were now going into the weekend without any answers.

When I reported my frustrations on Monday, I was then told there is 24 hour assistance available. This was not my experience. I utilized the chat and was specifically told there was no one available to assist so I left emails on my own not via an emergency line. I was never directed on how to obtain live help. Being in a different region of the world from the U.K. caused us to to communicate after their regular business hours. No one appears to be working on the weekends or after GMT hours for a global platform. Has anyone else been able to communicate real time when needing support?

Despite THS stating they wanted to support us and stated they were escalating our situation for a review, we never received any support or follow up on the findings two weeks post sit. We were told the home owners broke the “Code of Conduct” but so what if nothing is done about it. Instead of incurring additional costs in a tourist town during high season, we stayed at the property for the remainder of the pet sit despite it being an extremely uncomfortable situation no pet sitter should have to endure. I requested the home owner to pay for a hotel for us, but of course they did not.

THS told me on the final day of the pet sit, they canceled it so the home owner could not leave a negative review. This also meant, we could not warn future pet sitters to not apply. I now see an email telling me I had 3 days left to be able to leave a review. Was the sit canceled? Is there an untruthful review about us I cannot see? I am past the 10 day review window.

To top it off, due to the stress of our situation, I accidentally left some special jewelry. The home owner is not acknowledging my request to mail with insurance at my expense. I’ve now asked THS to contact the home owner but have not received a real response. Everything I get is an automated generic reply that makes no sense at this stage.

We have completed approximately 50 pet sits and have had about 10 pet sitters. This last bad experience has left us feeling like unless others can tell us they have received great support in the last 6 months, we will not be seeking any new pet owners or sitters and only stick with ones we know follow the THS guidelines. It is a shame when two bad experiences ruin nearly three years of positive ones but I have been fooled once and twice. Why would I be fooled a third time?

3 Likes

Hi @claudinekent
This is all very disappointing but, like all insurance companies, you have to read terms and conditions very carefully and they will wriggle out if they can. I haven’t bothered taking the insurance cover and, after over 70 sits (over 50 with THS) wouldn’t have had to make a claim. It’s always good to have a plan b in case of cancellation but you were cancelled right at the last minute so that wouldn’t have helped much.
Your question has been discussed a lot before on the forum and here’s one such post:

Also, I’m afraid customer service has never been great although I’m told if you go through chat bot ask to speak to a human. I think you’re right though that they’re not on hand 24/7 and you don’t always get the answer you’d like.
I wish you luck with the process and empathise with you as it must be extremely frustrating!

When we had a similar experience (homeowner coming home several days early ) we were told by member services that as Premium members we could claim through the “Sit cancellation guarantee” for alternative accommodation…

However we made are own arrangements due to the numerous (not impossible ) requirements of making a successful claim whilst at the same time packing up to leave; continuing our work schedule and care of the pets until the owners early return .

Coupled with the fact that claims take from 2-7 months to be paid. We decided to make our own arrangements.

1 Like

I don’t think THS is making the exact terms available? I have seen a long list of exceptions somewhere on the site but that is not the contract with the insurance company.

So I did not take the insurance either. That also means that I am not travelling that far, that I tend to buy tickets that can be rebooked, that I may take a warm sleeping bag and a hammock with me.

2 Likes

@pietkuip the terms of the sit cancellation guarantee are here …

you are correct there are a lot of exceptions that can’t be claimed for …

If I understand correctly the sitter makes a claim - THS have the contract /policy with the insurance company they submit they claim on your behalf and when THS receive the money from the insurance company THS pay the member … so no real incentive for THS to chase the insurance company for a resolution and sitter has to do everything through a third party ( THS ) and doesn’t deal directly with the insurance company .

Happy to be corrected by someone who has actually made a claim , if I’ve got this wrong .

People have successfully claimed for the accommodation on the insurance. However by choosing to stay with the owner you can’t claim.
The terms are relatively clear (for insurance terms) and all insurance is pretty much a scam on some level - a game played by the insurance company’s rules where they have home field advantage - but yes people have received the money eventually. Downsides are the usual - you have to pay and then hope to be able to claim back and then getting the money takes a while. I do understand your reluctance to risk it though.

THS support is bad. No live 24-hour support and generally as useful as a chocolate teapot but since my recent attempt at getting support from my mobile phone provider I guess that’s not unusual.
The biggest problem I find with them is not so much the unresponsiveness but that they just aren’t able/willing to actually help. They won’t push owners or sitters to uphold their obligations and generally come back with “it’s not their responsibility, it’s a contract between the sitter and the owner”. A very modern app economy attitude - develop an app that connects 2 people and take a payment for it but not be responsible when one or both people are awful. See Uber, dating apps, food delivery or similar for horror stories in the papers.
I go on a sit expecting the support to be more performative, where I need to involve THS to meet the Ts&Cs, or get them to do something technical like remove a cancelled sit so I can apply to others rather than getting anything supportive. I don’t need their advice on my options since I know what they are and I know asking them to actually help by getting the other party to uphold their promises will never happen.

I hope you manage to get some better experiences in your remaining membership. Avoiding new THS recruits is a good option to accomplish this in my opinion.

1 Like

That’s a bit unusual. The only time we had a cancelled sit, the HO unconfirmed us a few hours before our arrival and then deleted the dates so we didn’t any choice.

It’s a little unclear from your post exactly what happened. You mention the window for the review being open. If you can review then the sit wasn’t actually cancelled. You also mention something about being required to agree to the cancellation which is also odd. I’ve had three cancelled sits and each time the HO unconfirmed, there was nothing that I had to do. And the insurance states that the sitter cannot have agreed to the cancellation (which is weird anyway, since it’s not like we have a choice. I think that’s more about it not being a mutually agreed cancellation).

THS does not assist in finding another sit. You are expected to look for one and show proof that you searched for other sits (I provided screen shots of my search for the insurance claim I submitted).

There really isn’t any support, but they will provide you with info about how to submit a claim. I contacted THS through the chat to notify them of the cancellation and I received an email with info about submitting the claim.

1 Like

I did go through the chat box and was told no one was available and I had to leave an email.

I believe since the sit was in process, they could not unconfirm or she did not know how to do it and just contacted THS to cancel.

They ended up canceling the reservation on our final day. Therefore, we could not leave a review to warn future pet sitters but they could not slander us and put a black mark on our nearly 50 glowing reviews.

So did you actually get a claim approved and paid?

The below is taken from the Terms and Conditions

(a) Where time allows, Sitters must allow Us to recommend alternative house Sits that may be of interest

(b) Where a Sit is cancelled at short notice or abandoned during the Sit, Sitters must allow Us to attempt to source an alternative house Sit where possible.

We were already staying with them so I think that was the difference. They wanted us to arrive several days prior to their departure.

When all is said and done, the fact THS is not removing homeowners from the platform who break the code of conduct is disappointing. However, the fact they are allowing homeowners to remain on the platform after they are stealing my jewelry by not returning it, goes to a whole new level.

1 Like

I have had insurance honoured on one occasion on the HO side when a sitter cancelled on me within the 14-day window. when I almost had to cancel a sitter mid-sit and also when another HS cancelled on me within the window but I found a replacement, I was able to get in contact with TH through a combo of live chat, email, and via a phone number.

I haven’t had to process insurance on the HS side but I know that one thing that’s a bit stressful is that you have to get confirmation from them and start a “ticket” before making any purchases that may be reimbursable by insurance…if you can’t get ahold of them, you won’t be able to do that. The moment I know a cancellation is happening, I start heavily documenting through the chat inbox and the reiterate in there that I contacted all the people over WhatsApp, email, etc. So there is a clear paper trail. Basically I over-communicate.

I think the other part of it is that if TH is unable to sort me out, I would have told the HO, they’ve been unable to sort US out yet so can’t move forward and make alternate arrangements and that would have put pressure back on the HO, who would then definitely have had something to say to TH and that additional pressure from both parties may have helped move your case along, I.e. I would have shared the burden of responsibility.

It’s very distasteful that the HO has now basically ghosted you and I’m sorry to hear about your Jewelry. Maybe they’re going through something but even so, that’s trash. :cry:

@claudinekent Yes, I did get a claim paid. The sit was cancelled 4 days before the start date. THS told me to look for other sits (they don’t assist with this in any way). There were no other available sits in the area, so I booked a hotel close to where the sit was supposed to be. After my hotel stay, I submitted all of my documentation to THS and was reimbursed about 2 and 1/2 months later.

2 Likes

@claudinekent I’m sorry to hear about this situation, I can see that this is still an open case with the complaints team and they are still investigating regarding the jewellery that you left at the sit.
As it is an ongoing investigation it is best left with the Membership Services team at this point, please do get back to the agent dealing with your case, as it is the holiday period apologise if there are any delays. I hope that things get resolved for you soon.