Having a visit of friend :)

Hello folks. I am at the moment house sitting not far from Durham UK. I came here on the 24th. August. The HO invited me out for dinner and then they left next morning. This is the third time I sit for them. I have been in touch with a fellow house sitter and she is also a fellow Geocacher, and I found out that she had a sit not far from here starting a few days after mine started. So I asked my HO. if she could stay here a few nights and they said it was ok since they have a extra room. They left last Thursday and Lisa came last Friday. It felt like we had met long time ago and we get along fine. I am so happy she came beacuse she has been a great help with walking the 4 big dogs I am looking after. We also did Geocaching last sunday and found 8. Then the lady Lisa is gonna sit for came and picked us up for lunch. That was pretty good and Lisa is leaving for that sit tomorrow so the lady is gonna pick pick her up. I have to say it has been great to have good company and she has been so much help with the dogs. Gonna miss her.

18 Likes

Hi @Bravo1239 - What a great story. It seemed like everyone was a winner! - your home host got an extra sitter, the dogs had good walks and you and your friends got to spend some time together.

I have to admit that I had to google Geocaching - every day is a school day.

Do you have any Pics ?

3 Likes

Here are some pictures from the Geocaching.

10 Likes

And here are the dogs

16 Likes

Lovely to hear this, it’s quite a heartwarming story.

3 Likes

It’s been an absolute pleasure to be here and so good to have some company. Even better that we have lots in common. It was so great to have someone to geocache with, so much more fun with someone else to share it with. Looking forward to my next sit but it won’t be the same!

10 Likes

Hi @Bravo1239 and @AusGypsy. My sons and I are also geocaching housesitters. It’s a great way to find new places to walk dogs and to get to know a new area. We even took one of the dogs we sat to a geocaching event late last year.

5 Likes

We weren’t house-sitting but we recently found the oldest geocache in Wales.

7 Likes

Is it just me that feels like I am learning a new language?
:joy:

3 Likes

WE LOVE GEOCACHING! When i get the address of the house sit i always look for nearby caches! So glad to hear your story.

5 Likes

Thank you Debbie and for those unfamiliar with GEOCACHING and too afraid to ask, this article from the National Trust in the UK will help explain, it is focussed on children but aren’t we all “kids” at heart?

1 Like

That’s great Debbie! It’s the perfect hobby to do as a housesitter. I love it.

3 Likes

I have had the Geocaching App for ages and never done much with it. This is such an inspiration to get into action! Fantastic!

5 Likes

Geocachers here, too (more partner than me), but we also both really enjoy its offshoot, Adventure Labs. Less climbing around under trees and trying to be stealthy, and more learning about different areas, history of places, interesting little nooks and crannies. You don’t have to be a Geocacher to download and use Adventure Labs. It’s another tool in our toolbox when exploring a different area.

5 Likes

Oh yes AdLabs are great too! We’re going to NY on Saturday and already have some planned :grin:

2 Likes

Here’s a link to the geocaching blog that explains what geocaching is in a bit more detail.
https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2018/03/what-is-geocaching/

1 Like

I was introduced to geocaching years ago in a different life, on a long distance walk in France. We found all sorts of treasures along the way. However, it was @Debbie who reminded me of it when we met up earlier this year… she described a geocache stash just outside our house sit in the Cotswolds, to find on return to the house!! Will be off to check out Adventure Labs … thank you @lifephasenext … very much like the sound of that!

3 Likes

@Vanessa_A I’m sure that particular geocache stuck in my mind because it was called “Tea and Cake”. It was right outside the village Post Office and Cafe, and I can confirm that the cake was very good indeed, especially after a long walk!

At the time Vanessa suggested that I write a post about geocaching on the forum, but I never got around to it. What I may do is post occasionally about a geocache we have found while housesitting - one that was in an interesting location or showed us something new, or maybe just on a good walk with great views. With pet photos of course!

3 Likes

Looking forward to learning more about geocaching when we get together for dinner in 10 days!
tom

1 Like

So happy to start this one. :relaxed:

1 Like