What’s the chance of this?!

I arrived at my current sit (no. 50) at Stonehouse to discover that there was another Trusted Housesitter next door! Dave is from Phoenix, Arizona and sometimes sits with his girlfriend, Lisa, from Denmark. He has no car so I’ve taken him on a whistle stop tour of the Cotswolds and today a lovely trip to Tetbury and Castle Combe.
This must be a first, or has anyone else had this situation?
We both have a Labrador to look after and they’re getting some fantastic walks and exercise.

46 Likes

@smiley now that’s what I call close family! That is so incredible and is a testament to the value of TrustedHousesitters for owners/pet parents as well as sitters. I am sure you will have a new friendship from this…and who knows…this could happen again!

6 Likes

That’s brilliant @Smiley ! maybe one neighbour recommended THS to the other.

Our last sit was our closest to home so far, just for the weekend. We bumped into the next door neighbour returning from a dog walk and the boys couldn’t resist playing ball with her dog. She realised we must be the housesitters and said maybe she should have us housesit for her as the dog would love the ball games with the boys. It would be funny if we did end up sitting for next door neighbours!

4 Likes

@Debbie that is exactly what happened with one of our sitters for our precious baby girl…they were walking her and someone stopped to talk, loved what they were saying about TrustedHousesitters, and ended up joining. I believe they actually came for a sit as well with their baby. Small world but big connections!

4 Likes

This is so cool! I used to do a sit where the HOs had recommended THS to their neighbours, and would often see their ad pop up on the site, but never met any sitters. It’s great that you have been able to explore the Cotswolds together (such a beautiful area). Enjoy!

4 Likes

We couldn’t explore for long, we had a dog each to go back to :blush:

2 Likes

Absolutely wonderful!!
Nothing like that but my holiday sit here in Uruguay was booked because another full time sitter found me and invited me for her parents who had no previous experience with THS.
It was different but remarkable!
I love the magical connections!

5 Likes

Amazing @Smiley I’ve met other members on my travels, I’m sure many have but “living” next door that must surely win the medal for coincidences …

How long will you be neighbors for?

2 Likes

I’m here until 19th, he leaves on 25th and flies back to the US on 26th. I’m encouraging him to join the forum :wink:

4 Likes

Wow @Smiley, that’s a real coincidence, and you both have Labradors in your care. John will remember this sit with fondness and where you have taken him as you chose beautiful areas/villages to visit.

4 Likes

Thanks @temba I’ve been enjoying Dave’s company too (don’t know why I called him John, I’ve edited that!). I plan to take him to Bath tomorrow, he’ll get about 2 hours in between dog walks!

3 Likes

Great choice to take Dave to Bath @Smiley. And there I was thinking I’d got his name wrong!! Enjoy the outing.

2 Likes

We had the weirdest encounter last week.

We were in Lisbon only for 1 night, walking back from the restaurant to the Airbnb and who did we bump into: Joey and his owner, who we house sat for last April!
As if that wasn’t weird enough, they were accompanied by Joey’s new sitters, who only just arrived in Lisbon too.
We were all a bit flabbergasted, Lisbon isn’t exactly your neighbourhood village :grinning:

8 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of house sitter friends currently in and around Lisbon @Els … Portugal seems to be high on the travel and house sitting list at the moment!! What an amazing coincidence and for you @Smiley - a lovely end to your UK sit time before you jet off to pastures new! Happy 50 sit milestone :tada:

3 Likes

Amazing coincidence! I love these stories

1 Like

Thanks Vanessa! Here’s to the next 50! A long way behind you though….

And on returning from a long, fabulous dog walk, arrived ‘home’ to find some home made hummus & packet of Tortilla chips on the doorstep, made by Dave

8 Likes

We are slowing down though @Smiley … You’ll be ahead of us before you know it!! Ummm home-made hummous!! Dave & Lisa sound like good house sitting neighbours to have found!

1 Like

It’s Dave on his own this time

What a lovely cooincidence! :blush:
We’ve had a couple of similar experiences. Last winter we were housesitting on the Costa Blanca and we were walking our dog on the beach on Christmas day when we heard the English accents of a young couple with a dog (who did not look like local expats) We stopped to chat and discovered they were Trusted housesitters too!
Another, more recent, experience here in UK -we were on a housesit in June and the hosts mentioned their next housesitters- for a month later -were actually in town that week staying with family and they wanted to connect with us. (I’ll call them G&A) We exchanged a few messages and travel stories but did not have time to meet in person. Last week we received a message from G&A-out of the blue- from their latest housesit where the’d just discovered WE were the last sitters for that host too- in September! Its a small world!!

3 Likes