HOs -- How do you feel about giving out your address?

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3: Thereā€™s the experienced traveler :wink:

4 Likes

@anon39388349 Wow, with that comment, coming from a flight attendant, I feel two inches taller, Iā€™m so proud (and I could do with the extra height too :wink:). Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Anywhere it might end up, the luggage is always opened (because of possible perishable things inside or items which have to clear customs) so placing the address inside the suitcase actually is the safest way to ensure that it will be found.
I only use funny tags and a multicolored belt around the suitcase to make it distinguishable from others. It wouldnā€™t be the first time that suitcases get mixed upā€¦especially in my job. I wouldnā€™t want a Captain having to wear my clothes :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

The risk in giving an address to potential (rather than confirmed) sitters is that those people know that you wonā€™t be at home during the dates you have posted. Hopefully there will be a sitter in the house, but what if you couldnā€™t find a sitter and boarded the animals instead, or just had a petsitter drop in once a day? The risk is very low, but conversely, there is no need for a prospective sitter to know my exact address if the location can be identified another way.

As a sitter, when I apply for a sit, I donā€™t see HOs last names, so I canā€™t look them up to find the address myself. I can probably find the last name if I dig deep enough using the info in their listing, but maybe not.

I have mine on it but itā€™s on a little retractable thingy on my suitcase. (Also, thereā€™s usually someone at my house so I donā€™t worry about that too much. :slight_smile:

But there will be a sitter there so is that really an issue? Plus, THS sitters are vetted and I think the likelihood of people paying to be a member of this site, applying for a sit, getting the address, declining the sit, and then using that acquired address to break into the personā€™s home (which will have a housesitter) is pretty unlikely.

3 Likes

I put the phone number of my ā€œburnerā€ phone on the tag with instructions to call or text.

ok, ok, Itā€™s actually not a burner phone, Iā€™m not an international spy ā€¦yet. It does access a google voice number that I only give to friends & family, so if it rings, I actually answer it.

Side note: I put my email address (and sometimes hotel name) as the background of my cell phone when I travel, in case I lose my phone and someone finds it. It can be seen, even if the phone is locked. Itā€™s not as useful now that we have Find My iPhone but I still figure it could come in handy some day.

1 Like

I have my husbands number as my background in case I canā€™t answer my phone

1 Like

Exactly, especially when itā€™s been sitters applying from overseas.

2 Likes

Blockquote
Plus, THS sitters are vetted and I think the likelihood of people paying to be a member of this site, applying for a sit, getting the address, declining the sit, and then using that acquired address to break into the personā€™s home (which will have a housesitter) is pretty unlikely.

I know the risk is low, and I specifically said that in my reply.

I ask for the address or at least an approximation so that I can plug it into google maps and see how walkable the sit is. Can I walk to grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, transit stops?

2 Likes

You wouldnā€™t have to do this if every HO put this in their listing.

2 Likes

Do you think in the listing, which is somewhat public, or in the first contact with an applicant?

@Kelownagurl
I have it in my listing. Check the link in my profile and you should see it.

1 Like

You have a lovely listing by the way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Kelownagurl Thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I usually request the Welcome Pack about a week before the sit, and I find out the address when I get it. However not all HOs do Welcome Packs, preferring to email instructions, or leave printed instructions at the home. Thatā€™s fine with us, but in the latter case I often have to remind HOs thereā€™s one crucial piece of info we do need in advance: the address!

And thatā€™s another reason HO wonā€™t give out their specific address before the sit is confirmed. People would know that house would be unoccupied on those dates or at least have a stranger there who might be an easy target.