Housesitters Travel Realities

Congrats!
Yes the rates are outrageous. We are rapidly becoming airport sitters!

I had a very reasonable nonstop flight to Frankfurt for a petsit in Neustadt an der Aisch, near Rothenburg. Fantastic! I rented a car and had a great time driving. Fahrvergnügen. Lol.
The night before my 10 am flight home I returned the car and I stayed at a hotel in the airport. More expensive than going into Franfurt but the convenience was worth it for me… I took the S Bahn
from the airport into to Frankfurt for dinner and a look-see. 10 euro RT . 15 minutes each way.

2 Likes

This weekend (June 3)

Departures:
Glasgow airport manic with long lines for security, give extra time
LHR (Heathrow) T5 same - give extra time

Arrivals:
LAX 7.30 pm Friday - practically empty … through Border Control in 10 mins
Baggage: Extra long delivery

Dept:
LAX 10.30am - Domestic incredibly busy - extra time

Arrival:
San Diego early afternoon average traffic.

3 Likes

It was not crowded and I went through security at a normal speed. No delays. There was another passport check after security and before the gates. So if you see another line that’s what that’s about.
Arriving in Frankfurt there was a delay in checked bags getting to baggage claim.

2 Likes

We traveled through Frankfurt last month, and had the same odd double checking through customs. We always try to pick long layovers when possible, and thank goodness we did. We are just happy our luggage had been checked through to our final destination, so it made the process easier. Our only flights in a 5 month journey, so pretty smooth for us. Gotta love those cruises, trains, buses and car rentals to navigate overseas!

1 Like

In June/July we completed a housesit in Scotland and in The Hague, Netherlands. After that, we continued to Norway for a self/drive visit. Flying from London to Sydney, train from london to Glasgow, ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam (lacklustre ferry ride), flew from amsterdam to Oslo, Oslo to Tromso, Tromso to Trondheim, Trondheim to Oslo, Oslo to London and finally London to Sydney. No delays and no lost luggage. All journeys were direct which may have been the key to success. A great holiday and back in Sydney planning to visit again. We also used the “lounge” at Heathrow airport as we waited for our flight to Sydney as part of the THS upgrade.

3 Likes

So as of yesterday I am back out full time adventurous traveling happy pet sitting explorer.
Had a flight scheduled originally with a manageable overnight layover in São Paulo, Brazil, (Uruguay-Sao Paolo-Orlando). Second leg of flight was cancelled months ago and I was notified. All efforts to find another flight on the day, even rerouted was unsuccessful by airline. I was diverted to another flight on another day giving me two nights in Sao Paolo. Well, hotel with fabulous amenities, airport shuttle, buffets for a pittance booked.
Yesterday I was denied check in because “this isn’t a layover it’s a stay…you have to call and arrange for another flight…”. This after several hours at the immigration office for other reasons I’ll spare you. Needless to say I was beside myself and on the brink of losing it when they finally were able to resolve the crisis (keeping as scheduled) after another tense moment with TSA, all pre boarding mind you and because of dual residency, having to show all documents (insert eye roll and asked myself once more why are you doing this?) I boarded sleeping almost the entire flight.
In Sao Paolo no one made a peep, stamped my passport and have a nice stay.
But then where oh where is my hotel shuttle?
Seriously, 3 miles and two hours later checked into my hotel.

It was worth every moment.
The universe enjoys testing.

1 Like