Housesitters Travel Realities

Second time in less than 3 weeks Gatwick is my layover haven :grinning:
Just flew in from Spain after two consecutive sits and have 6 hours before a coach ride then train ride to Church Stretton.
People and pets need me!
Not my first rodeo here. I know all the cool spots to catch a decent rest, toilets, charging stations and places to eat🥳
Life is glamorous :wink:
Share your layovers, stopovers whilst traveling to and from sits.

15 Likes

Hope you have a fabulous time. :grinning:

I look forward to my next trip to the UK and do house sitting and look forward to getting tips and advice.

2 Likes

Can’t see your link but have had no major delays, a few minutes here and there which is normal. A two hour layover is plenty.
My overnight stay overs and travel are deliberately planned that way to get me when and where and stay in flow.

I am having a lovely time on the train now.

My best advice is be open and flexible to the new unexpected experiences.

10 Likes

What a great post! If anyone would like the inside info on the labyrinth that is Munich Franz Joseph airport, I’m your woman!

3 Likes

Was the airport as bad as portrayed in the news? Queues, no staff, crowds of angry travellers?

No more than usual crowds, no angry anyone.
People seem happy actually @ElsieDownie, excited to travel. Lots of families and laughter. Even the business travelers were joshing with their cohorts.
On the flights people were civil, polite and friendly.
On this last flight no one jumped up to grab their bags when the flight landed! I was so impressed. The attendants called out rows of those that could disembark (Vueling). Staff was exceptional.

3 Likes

Great to hear. Another press exaggeration then. Have a great time in the old country.

2 Likes

Have you been to Church Stretton before @Amparo ? It is just up the road from us and is a lovely town…….

3 Likes

@ElsieDownie we flew BA from Gatwick to Mexico last Thursday and it was all absolutely fine. No delays, no long queues, no angry travellers… in fact, with the mask mandates gone in UK it was just like the old days at the airport and on the flight. Like @Amparo said, it was all very civilized, with happy chatty travelers, lots of laughing smiling kids (half term hols) and quite a relief tbh as I was expecting worse :slight_smile:

I did see some news reports of two airports in Europe (one in UK) with horrendous queues but I think the media just jump on any unusual situation and sensationalize at moment as clickbait.

3 Likes

I know that Dublin airport has awful problems. It was fine when I left in the afternoon last week, but queues in the morning have been hours long. A family member saw the security lines extending outside the airport this week :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’m flying from Glasgow to LHR - LAX on Friday (Heathrow - Los Angeles) my main concern is a negative COVID result tomorrow in Glasgow …

Watch this space … Will she, wont she?

5 Likes

Been to Shopshire, Shrewsberry but not Church Stretton and absolutely agree! It’s stunning!
And this home , outdoor living spaces and family are unique and very special!
Have to say I see a huge WOW and 5 plus stars :sparkles: are shining ahead!
Animals made me all misty…
Watch this space :partying_face:

1 Like

That was a concern for me flying back to the US last week. A US friend tested positive after a few days in Ireland, and couldn’t fly back to the US. She had to stay another 10 days in Ireland. It cost her a lot of money, and was hugely inconvenient, of course.

1 Like

Hi @Lassie I have friends from LA stuck in a hotel in the UK for the past two weeks, unable to fly back to LA due to COVID. They were in my home two weeks ago for the day, Brian would have been contagious, along with my granddaughter who unbeknown to us had scarlet fever … if I’m clear (and I’m sure I am) I dodged two highly contagious bullets,

6 Likes

Would you be interested by news informing you that trains and planes arrived in time? Press focuses on “events”…

Lisbon is notorious for long immigration lines. Thankfully I am a resident and can avoid those lines. This report was probably last Friday when SEF (immigration dept) striked during the Friday morning commute. Heard there were lines almost 4 hours long to get through :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Hi there, Are the delays in Lisbon only for arrivals or do they affect departing passengers as well?

Usually departures are fine, but still allow 2 hrs prior just in case.

I’ve flown through Lisbon three times this year and had no problems.

Flying into Toronto last week was a whole other story though lol… Held for an hour on the plane before they even let us go to customs, which was busier than I’ve ever seen it!

2 Likes

Pre flight COVID test passed, I feel like I’ve won the lottery.

Glasgow airport was incredibly busy, no operational information though, not much use if you are about make your way there.

I might know more tomorrow (Friday) when I finally fly … one thing I do know airport hotel occupancy is running at 100%, it was impossible to get a room and rates have gone through the roof.

9 Likes