How long to wait for a reply?

How long after seeing a HO has read your message should you expect a reply?

I’ve applied for a few sits recently and the HO have all left me on read, so I’m not sure whether to apply for other sits. I’m not sure how quickly a lot of HO make their decision but I would have thought they’d know within a few days if they are interested in arranging a video call or not?

Or is that normal?

As a sitter of eight years here, it really varies. I’ve had homeowners confirm a sit shortly after reading my application without even receiving a reply from them. I personally don’t wait more than about five days and then I move on. If I really want the sit, I follow up. There’s no reason for you not to apply on other sits while waiting to hear back. I personally love homeowners who make quick decisions!

4 Likes

Different HOs do things differently. It’s fine to apply for multiple sits at a time. If you confirm a sit ths system will no longer allow you to accept another sit with overlapping dates. Even if you are talking to different homeowners and they are trying to decide, if you are an offered a sit you are free to take it.

We personally cancel our application for any sit where the HOs has not replied within 72 hours. The last sit we applied for and then canceled our application is still “reviewing” and the sit is supposed start in 4 days on Saturday. If the HOs asked on why we canceled our application we refer them to THS’s T&C.

1 Like

We’ve also done that a few times.

I give them 3 days and unless it is a sit I want desperately I withdraw my application. If they don’t consider my time I don’t want the sit. I have withdraw 2 just this week and probably another tomorrow.

1 Like

Ditto. Big red flag for me. Mutual respect.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! I find it quite rude if it’s left more than 3 days - It takes all but a minute or two to let someone know where you are at in the process.

I did apply for one I really wanted with no reply after a couple of days so I sent a polite follow up and they just left that on read too? Does make you feel like people aren’t very respectful, and with the 5 person application rule it’s not like people are inundated.

1 Like

Thanks, This sounds like a very boundaried approach. I think I am going to do this with people who exhibit questionable communication styles.

2 Likes

Same here! It takes a moment to acknowledge an application - even if not possible to make a full response - so implies poor communication or a lack of respect, to just leave you hanging for more than a couple of days.

There is of course the possibility that your application simply hasn’t impressed, in which case the pet parent may be waiting to weigh-up against other potential applications. All the more reason to withdraw.

Days. weeks. even months have gone by with some of my applications going unread. Ditto for follow-up messages.
Now I do not bother with follow-up messages. I consider not reading my message as a red flag for either a bad communicator or or self-centered owner. Both are bad news for a good sit experience. However I do not withdraw my application as I see no reason why I should free up one of their 5 application slots.

1 Like

Yeah I understand that, and I have reflected on whether the quality of my application is good - but I always write thoughtful messages and let them know I’m experienced and a bit about myself. My profile is well filled out and I have good reviews (only 7 from THS but I think that is enough, right?)

If my application was lazy and short I’d understand, but they’re not.

1 Like

Sitter on this website for 9 years. You never know how long it’s going to take for an HO to respond, no matter how well you’ve crafted your response. it could take an hour, a day, a week, a month, never…

I withdraw my application if I don’t hear back promptly. In a number of cases, the host will then quickly follow up and express disappointment or offer to chat about their sit at that point. But to me, if hosts are slow with communications, it doesn’t matter what the reason is, I’d rather partner with folks who are good communicators. I find enough of those out there. Like I’m booked through October, which leaves me few windows for more sits for 2024, since I don’t sit during the holiday season.

I’m coming up on a year of THS sitting and have found that once you’ve gotten a few strong reviews, it gets easier and easier to land sits. And for most sitters, because we don’t sit full time, it can be easy to fill up your sit calendar unless you’re wedded to popular locations or are trying to stack a bunch of sits. I’m neither, which makes it super easy to land sits in interesting locations. So no need to bother with sluggish hosts.

3 Likes

Hi @RR12345
Yes! As a sitter that’s been on THS site for just under 2 years and 20 sits later I start my vetting of a HO by how they respond (or not) to my application.

2 Likes

I’m in a situation where my application has still not been read after 6 days. Is there a system whereby THS sends reminders to hosts that they have unread messages? Is this a good or bad idea if it doesn’t already exist? Perhaps even removing the listing after a period if there’s no response from the host. How many of these zombie listings are there I wonder?

1 Like

Probably quite a few. The HO may have found a niece to take care of the pets and never logged in on THS again. Or they cancelled their trip. Or…

Yes, there are multiple scenarios hence the need for a zombie listing clean up and delete. Does this exist as a process do you know?

1 Like

The application will disappear from your dashboard on the first day the sit was supposed to start.

That’s not the same though as removing zombie listings. The sit I’ve applied for isn’t until September, so once 5 applications have been reached it will show as under review and then nothing until the start date, is that right?