How to get positive responses as a newbie?

Hi @Lovewins

I have now added your profile to your forum profile, so members can now see it.

Do keep us posted as to when you secure your first sit. Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you. I got one invite for a video chat. Applied for a last minute sit. Question, can they see my Airbnb reviews too? Or is it just a badge to show I have an account and verify my identity. I think I have glowing reviews there. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the pointers. I remember this disappointment from being denied a job with the government after many applications- finally got in 4 years ago.
That’s true. I shortened my application response- I think the first several I sent were too long. I sent a an application today with a shorter message. Hopefully someone gives me a chance. Applied to a short notice one. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

That’s exciting that someone asked for a chat. I hope you’ll let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

If you check the forum, someone from Canada has just posted that they can’t get any applicants. Not sure if that is an area you’re interested in but you might want to take a look?

1 Like

:crossed_fingers: I hope you get it. Good luck!
And with the summer holidays coming I’m sure there will be more short-notice listings online soon

2 Likes

Hi @Lovewins , you were smart to come to the forum! Good move. What occurs to me right off the bat is that you should remove your first negative sentence, “while I have no formal experience … Instead, begin with, " I have spent most of my life owning and caring for animals and have house sat for family and friends.” Then, work on getting more references, especially from anyone whose pets you have cared for and/or a boss or supervisor. Where possible, add pictures of you with pets. I think you’re on the right track. You might want to take a look at this topic from way back:

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/nobody-wants-me-advice-for-a-first-time-house-sitter/

Don’t give up. If you can get your first sit, do a great job and get a great review, you’ll be on your way!

1 Like

Hi @Lovewins

I wanted to confirm that the Airbnb link on your profile goes straight through to your Airbnb profile, so the owner can see all your reviews there.

@Lovewins, I might’ve skimmed over this, but your profile mentions a family and I didn’t see reference to whether you’d sit solo or with your family and dog. That’s something homeowners would want to know for sure. Don’t know whether you address this in your applications. If not, some HOs might skip you without taking time to find out, because other applicants have made that clear. It can be harder to land certain sits with a kid and a dog of your own.

1 Like