I Broke Some Things. Don't Know What To Do

@IHeartAnimals it folds down to nothing, is super light and costs less than 10 USD.

2 Likes

Me too. If the sitā€™s in driving distance I also take my electric kettle. I only drink 1 cup of coffee per day so taking the time to figure out a fancy coffeemaker that likely makes a whole pot, just isnā€™t worth it to me.

1 Like

Can anyone explain why one would remove an oven door to clean it? Is that a thing?

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09X48952C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

1 Like

Not that youā€™d ever catch me doing this at anyoneā€™s home.

I would message them and make offer again. We once broke a fridge door handle it just came away in our hand. We glued it back together but I got the parts number and sent them a new one when we got home. They were very pleased with this.

1 Like

I had a food splash in between the inner and outer windows. Had to take the oven door apart to clean it. Never figured out how I ended up with a food splash in there, I didnā€™t notice when it happened, just saw one day that it was there.

Noted! Rest assured, I wonā€™t be doing it again! I hadnā€™t realised until this incident just how OCD Iā€™ve become about end-of-sit cleaning. Itā€™s not just about reviews, itā€™s some kind of crazy perfectionism and I need to get a grip on it.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t dismantle the door! I removed the inner glass panel, in case anything had splashed onto it (it hadnā€™tā€¦ :roll_eyes: ) The idea was to wash it in the sink. Itā€™s something I do at home. But I learned the hard way that some oven panels are harder to get out and put back than othersā€¦

Iā€™m a bit like that! Iā€™ve not broken anything yet but Iā€™m only on sit 7, so thereā€™s still time! Try not to beat yourself up, your heart was in the right place and itā€™s definitely a lesson learned. Also, by posting your experience, Iā€™ve been able to read it and will be mindful of anything extra I clean!

2 Likes

Like someone else mentioned, I never dismantle stuff to clean on sits. Besides cleaning, I try to prevent things from getting dirty in the first place, so I donā€™t have to clean unnecessarily.

Like if I microwave or use a toaster oven, I make sure stuff is covered (leaving an air gap) and/or I use something as a liner, whether foil, parchment paper, a cardboard lid, paper towel or whatever else might be handy. I do that at home, too.

Actually, I might start packing these when I sit. Theyā€™re light and multipurpose. Like I use them at home to prevent water or condensation stains on tables. I worry about damaging hostsā€™ furniture, too.

1 Like

I burned one of the wooden spatula too during my sit and I informed the HO and replaced it with something similar. She was very cool about it and did not fret at all. But my worst nightmare is to break something of sentimental value that is irreplaceable. I think as a HO and sitter, I would treat any incident as how I would like to be treated.
As a HO, it is worse to come home and realize the sitter never told you they struggled with the coffee maker and left the coffee grind in the water reservoir, come home to a broken screendoor, or literally witness on my RING camera my puppy jump through the broken screendoor and escape. Anything can happen, and we cannot prevent accidents, but communication is important to me. We can use less assumption and more grace and communication.

2 Likes

My post can be deleted.