I'm a newbie HO and a new sitter has applied

I have nothing new to add (sorry) but just wanted to acknowledge how great this forum is. I learn so much as a sitter under every topic. Thank you all who post questions/concerns and all of you that respond. It’s brilliant.

3 Likes

Thank you @Doreen that’s so good to hear.
Community working the way it can, being helpful & supportive.

2 Likes

I have over 35 reviews now, but I couldn’t get any sits during my first year. I had about 300 positive Airbnb reviews, 2 external references, and links to professional customer reviews. I almost did not renew for the second year. Then I applied for a 2-night sit near my residence which was not a popular destination. I roughed it sleeping on the couch, brought my own bedding… then I paid additional for security check. While I think background check is a good assurance. Premium membership has nothing to do with the sitter’s performance. I recently ungraded it because I had a few owners in the past cancel on me last minute due to COVID and natural disaster. So that cost me a lot of travel money.

Do a video call and usually you can get a sense of someone and/ or check their online sites.

I had to turn down over 25 sit requests this year due to demand and schedule conflicts.

3 Likes

wow. That’s enviable. On a general point I have to say that since some of us may not ‘work’ in the obvious meaning of the word or may be self employed or recently divorced etc or other, some very good people may not be able to provide references required. So if I was an owner I would possibly think about the viability of heavy reference seeking , and maybe request a basic criminal check. In the UK, enhanced criminal checks cannot be sought by the individual concerned( think I am right) but I plan on getting a standard checkj. I would not want my current employer to know of things I do when not working for them and would not feel comfortable with that though checking out a landlord is fine. But its really down to the individuals concerned. Just my two pennies worth.

Once you have it the accept button has that confirmed the sit?

@Squid05 yes and it should show now on your dashboard ?