Introducing myself - From Mississauga, Ontario

Hello to all, My husband, son and I have done house sitting in Barbados several times as our son was doing a college course there. We all love pets especially dogs. I grew up on a farm, have owned 4 funny basset hounds and now have a rescue Beagle-Jack Russel from Kentucky. She was in a kill shelter and we got her at the Dog Dream Rescue. It is so rewarding to see her sleep peacefully. The first week we had her a neighbour phoned and said “did you know there is a dog standing in your living room window?” :joy: She loves to sit in the window on top of the couch with the sun beaming in during cold winter months. We have a clown entertainment company so often our bassets were dressed up in parades. We always leave our home sitting places spotless, come highly recommended. Looking forward to be back in Barbados to be with our son, pet sit and with the green monkeys run by…

honey bev

6 Likes

Hi @Doodlebug and thank you for giving your rescue dog a safe and loving home, she sounds absolutely adorable! :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What a fantastic location to house sit, my hubby and I have been fortunate to visit Barbados many times, we love the fantastic beaches with their crystal clear turquoise waters, Oistins for the ‘Fish Fry’ every Friday night & the wonderful eateries in St. Lawrence Gap where one of our favourites, Champers Restaurant is located. We actually celebrated New Year’s Eve there too a few years back and we had a brilliant evening plus the incredible view we had from our table overlooking the water. Enjoy your upcoming trip to Barbados! :barbados::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes Barbados is wonderful. We have supported a young man that grew up as an orphan in Cuba since 2014 and got him out a couple of years ago. We had him do a Cnd. college course on line during covid
so he would have a Cnd. education. He taught himself english and got 92% in english ! He has experience as a personal support worker but there is no English test centre in Barbados and not on line in Barbados yet in
many countries all over the world. He could qualify to come to his forever home with us but Immigraiton says to go to another island for the next. United Nations says don’t leave Barbados or you may not get back in.
He qualifies to be here within 6 months with his education/experience in a high needs job most don’t want in Canada. Thus we want to focus on Barbados.

I think we should wait to see if Barbados jobs come up before paying for a a membership, and then travel other places later?

We do a house swap all the time but our lady is up here in Canada with health issues right now.

Our unofficial Cuban son is a sweetheart and would love to dog sit with us. We dream of taking him to Japan, France…
It’s been 2 years now, and UN says 1 1/2 years to see what country he can be resettled in …:pray:t3: Canada … We started all this is 2014 !

We did 5 months and a few 1-3 months living with our Cuban son. His English is excellent but for him understanding the Barbadian da-der … talk is hard lol

The Wildlife centre, Hunts Garden and Bathsheba & watching the monkeys over my morning coffee were the fav.

Bev