Let's have a laugh

Folks, what’s the funniest thing that’s happened to you while house-sitting?

2 Likes

My first time in Bali was in April 2018 looking after 2 little Shih Tzu.

The routine was:

Early walk on the beach before it got too warm, around 7 am. Both were really good off lead from day one so it was great. I was there for a month. Very early on an old 3-legged beach dog started to join us for our walk, she was almost always on the beach but would walk with us, play with the pups, swim in the river along the beach, then watch us head off home for breakfast.

I named her Hoppy.

She would be there every morning, and sometimes in the evening when we did our sunset walk, and join us at the beach bar just lying down with the pups until it was time to go.

I was invited back to do a repeat sit later in the year, September.

The HO mentioned in her text that she had adopted a stray beach dog, so there were now 3 dogs to look after, was that ok?

Oh, and the new dog only had 3 legs, so she had named her Hoppy !!

15 Likes

Oh what a delightful story! I was so relieved to learn that Hoppy was adopted but what a lovely coincidence that she got your name for her. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

5 Likes

Lovely story & photo
I’m so happy for Hoppy!
They do say a dog chooses his human

4 Likes

One of the funniest things that happened to me … wasn’t pet related.

2013 and a 6 week sit in Manhattan NY. The owners had purchased their apartment from the Kennedy family. One of the facilities was a neat call system for cabs, a button in the elevator, which has nothing to do with the story :laughing:

One morning I called a cab and on exiting the building a very new, young door man helped me into the cab and as he was about to close the door said, “Have a nice day Mrs Kennedy” I smiled and replied “Thank you Peter”

I was known to him as Mrs Kennedy until one of his colleagues pointed out that I was not US aristocracy … my 15+ minutes of fame.

Central Park with Alfie :heart: :dog: :us: Surely you can see the resemblance to a Kennedy, me not the dog!!

9 Likes

Clearly in disguise! :joy:

1 Like

We were on a sit in a small town on the Australia Gold Coast and each day I would bring the two dogs to the beach for a walk. On my second day there I met these two local young fellows and started chatting and they asked me if I’d like to come to a neighborhood block party on the Friday night. I was delighted at the prospect of meeting more locals. I was given the address and made a nice appetizer dish to bring and we drove to the cul-de-sac and introduced ourselves. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and asked us about Canada and they were intrigued by our housesitting adventures. I even had THS business cards with me which I handed out. We had such a great time and it wasn’t until we got home that I realized the two fellows who invited me hadn’t even shown up at the party!

7 Likes

Ha! I wondered where that story was going. Nothing like gate-crashing to make friends in the neighbourhood!

1 Like

I had to really talk my husband into going as he thought exactly that but I insisted we were invited :slight_smile:

2 Likes